A-user... the canon... s-save... the... canon... uh... c-cervan... tes... a-user

>a-user... the canon... s-save... the... canon... uh... c-cervan... tes... a-user...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S9ieF7LVbyI
youtube.com/watch?v=EVWiwd0P0c0&feature=youtu.be&t=7m47s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I will, father. I will.

Right in the feels, user.

Tes canon? But what about muh c0da?

What is that expression trying to convey?

>god damn i wish i wasn't so old fuck

The horror at what he failed to stop

you just know there's a horde of autistic marxist professors just waiting for him to die.

He always looks like that. Disdain for plebs now mixed in with feeling old.

now that's a reaction image

I unironically think about taking up the mantle of Bloom and shilling for the canon sometimes

if i succeed in my ambitions to become a professor i intend to do the same. i think there's a lot of people coming up that agree with him, but don't have the stature to be relevant yet.

I will be there at the barricade along with you, brother or sister. Let the canon bloom.

Same

he just looks like a kike snob holding in a fart in this
here it looks like hes staring into the abyss

Taking the mantle of Bloom isn't easy. He was a genius and had an incredibly vast erudition and even him couldn't stop the school of resentment. Also you must be a grumpy old democrat which is impossible to do with the state of the current left.

We are all gonna make it

I could continue the canon other than bloom is interily boring and Id get nothing creative out of it

While I doubt that any of us are as smart as Bloom alone, as a collective of people who share views similar to him rise, they will find power together. The road there will be perilous however.

Can some one post the image of him fading away

>tfw Veeky Forums is literally collectively inheriting the mantle after Bloom

Yeah that's what I meant
I'm a freshman in college but if I do end up becoming a professor like I've been thinking about I'd definitely try and have my students develop an appreciation for the canon.

For the Canon, brethren, we shall fight!

Are we strong enough to defeat the school of ressentiment though?

Defeat it entirely? I doubt it. But we can contain it, because I think Bloom's position is one that most people would identify with. Excellence trumps "equality" every time.

Honestly I doubt all of Veeky Forums has read as much as Bloom alone, and surely not even half as deeply. It’s a nice goal though.

If this were an anime Bloom would be the wizened master who knows the secret knowledge but is too frail to fight while Veeky Forums would be the plucky young hero whose heart is in the right place even if he lacks experience

I think the depth of his reading is very important to the admiration he garners, but I think the most important factor is his opposition to debasing art.

Never underestimate Veeky Forums. Just look at the recent existential novel we wrote in a day.

As a Marxist, I don't see why there's anything wrong with the literary canon. I'm not really sure how Marxism became a force in literary criticism, instead of, you know, economic sociology or something, or if it's just a bunch of Foucault post-communists. Anyway, it's doubtful whether academic Marxism is a positive force, it seems to me that Harvey is the only genuine one.

>currently taking a deep dive in Classic Greek tragedy
We will finish what he started.

No, we’d be the comic relief friend of the hero who can’t get a girl because he keeps mentioning that he won’t read niggers or women. Do you even browze Veeky Forums? Come on

Why contain it? Let it spill over in the schools and universities, let the classics pile up in the bonfires.

hahahaha

>Are we strong enough to defeat the school of ressentiment though?

Why defeat it? Accelerate it so it eats itself.

>It's like in an anime when a farmer boy pulls a sword from a rock
>And there's a labyrinth and a minotaur in it, you know, like an anime

They'll have to throw me on the pyre with it. The burning of books is the ultimate degeneracy (damn /pol/ for co-opting this term).

I don't even watch anime senpai chill the fuck out

>he will die in your lifetime

I think there's more to be gained by fighting them.

your time is over, old man
I AM THE CANON NOW

Can you please link it, user? I remember seeing the thread but then forgot about it.

It's not officially finished though. OP died and someone else will probably take up the publishing touched.

It's not even Marxists. It's intersectional feminists and critical race theorists. This what one of them told me "the problem with the Canon is that it was assembled by old men. Usually white. Usually conservative".
They're like fascists but with white males instead of Jews.

They see literature as a means to a political end, and the Canon as a tool to further their ends.

>Peter, why are we filming my scenes first?

>Usually conservative
Not while they lived, though.

The weird thing is that even if they are doing their "job" and trying to deconstruct the Western canon so as to prove some kind of hegemonic white male propaganda, how the hell is the story of Don Quixote, or the Iliad designed to further white male privilege?

I mean, a noble lie from a politicians' mouth might do that, but a fictional story of hundreds of pages of immense depth and creativity?

Bitch please.

Yeah obviously.

Thanks, user.

Post non-academics who defended the canon
Pic related
Not being a professor is not a excuse

The sad thing is most people who are, or will become, lifelong readers (solitary readers as bloom calls them) are avoiding lit courses beacuse of intersectionalists. At least the handful that I know.

I know Bloom is in poor health but is there any chance he could be interviewed about Jordan Peterson?

>not Lusiads
>Lusiads who?
exactly
Cervantes isn't exactly endangered.

This is actually interesting, I know Veeky Forums resents JP because of his popularity with normies and the self-help stuff but I think him and Bloom are actually very similar in their views of the importance of the western canon and defending it from what Bloom calls "the school of resentment" and Jordan calls "postmodernists"

Who was in the wrong here?

Explain the Ozymandias meme to me

Fuck off brainlet

no
JP is the exact same kind of pseud that Bloom opposed at the time when academia was dominated by TS Eliot
Fuck off

Kek

>peterson is an eliotic christian
Just lol at the pseuds on this board

>JP is the exact same kind of pseud that Bloom opposed at the time when academia was dominated by TS Eliot
Care to elaborate on that theory?
They both see the western literary tradition as an essential bedrock of our civilization and worthy of defending. They've both said the exact same thing about the absolute state of the humanities in modern academia.

Tfw you will never be a young man reading Emerson again

I get how Ozymandias is applicable here.

Harold "Harry potter is absolute slop" Bloom

he's right you know

*don't get

Just like Lovecraft vanquished Edmund Wilson so has Rowling pummeled Bloom. And no one will remember Bloom in 10 years.

No... No no no YOU WILL DIE

top kek

c0da is pretty cool honestly

We can start talking about canon in Elder Scrolls once Bethesda stops incorporating material originally published outside the games

Wasn't just Lovecraft. Tolkien and Chandler outlasted his put downs. But at least it took decades for Wilson to fade from memory. Bloom is still alive and his relevance is already fading.

why are old people so depressing

They remind you of death and the transitory nature of your life

he sounds like a Peterson fanboy

youtube.com/watch?v=S9ieF7LVbyI

except he knows enough to use the term pseudo before those labels

DELET THIS

>he sounds like a Peterson fanboy
people say kill yourself a lot on this website, but in this case I actually mean it. Kill yourself. Please.

Hard.

No Peterson is a Bloom fanboy just as anyone who even has the pretense of intelligence ought to be.

>Tfw work as a cashier at a hardware store part time and some old dude buying caulk broke down about his wife dying recently.

I was just like uhhhh sorry buddy. I'm not even that socially awkward but whoo buddy that was unexpected and I really did feel bad for that old fella

>can’t get a girl because he keeps mentioning that he won’t read niggers or women
Implying girls don't like that.

>It's not even Marxists. It's intersectional feminists and critical race theorists.
Implying they are not the same thing.

>Edmund Wilson
But he was actually unworthy of being remembered and Bloom is right. Big difference.

People still read Edmund Wilson's literary criticism.

Unless I'm mistaken and this board really has become pseud city, I imagine nearly everyone on Veeky Forums knows who Edmund Wilson is. You can't really open any Fitzgerald novel without seeing his name.

And the Quran. That doesn't make them good.

Bloom’s great but his subtext readings are sometimes ridiculous. Dude thinks Genesis, Exodus, and Numbers, were all written by a woman, that Shakespeare was a bisexual, and that Blood Meridian is about a need for gun control in America. He’s just as bad as your average Literature professor in this regard.

he always reminds me of jerry

Calvino loved them so much he wrote a book about it

Eh, Calvino was an academic at heart.

youtube.com/watch?v=EVWiwd0P0c0&feature=youtu.be&t=7m47s

The way he talks about why we read is actually pretty beautiful.

Only a white male could care this much about "high literature" when there is real inequality in our society.

Just shows how much privilege ya'll have.

I'm half black and grew up below the poverty line and this is really important to me, you condescending fucking cunt.

Edmund Wilson was unironically a top tier critic
Also his feud with Nabokov was hilarious

That sounds embarrassing

h-has he ever been happy?