My philosophy professor just said “you can’t just make assertions without defending them with arguments...

My philosophy professor just said “you can’t just make assertions without defending them with arguments. Nietzsche tried that and it failed miserably.” Is this actually what modern philosophers think of Nietzsche or did I just get throatfucked by a self important piece of shit who doesn’t know what he’s talking about?

>no name philosophy professor saying that the most famous 19th century philosopher "failed miserably"

I guess his passages on "slave morality" really got to him, huh

Look I don't think anyone really knows what Nietzsche was about, most say he's a nihilist but then he doesn't talk like a nihilist.

The second one. Stay strong. If you ever get to be somehow in an academic position you will be able to actually educate people and enrich them. Your professor's existence will be worth a shit thanks to you. You will purify the past and the future, you will help beauty overcome.

>fame=intelligence

>most say he's a nihilist but then he doesn't talk like a nihilist.

I'm glad I didn't attend your university.

You know what I mean. Most just complain about life having no mean, God is dead fuck you dad. But Nietzsche said to make your own path and put meaning into your own life

>Most just complain about life having no mean, God is dead fuck you dad. But Nietzsche said to make your own path and put meaning into your own life

Are you just going to post brainlet wojaks?

>Are you just going to post brainlet wojaks?

>Nietzsche tried that and it failed miserably.
I hope he defended that assertion with some evidence? yes?

It depends on how forcibly you make an assertion as to whether or not it constitutes an argument. It's a matter of degree. But if your professor is saying that Nieztche was unaware of the "paradigm of empirical verification," it is something else entirely. I think Fritz would laugh at such an "assertion," as he was wont to laugh at the pretentious of haughty professors. After all, professors will profess.

Honestly that’s what it felt like. He’s a pretty bitter guy.

It’s a community college and I’m only here for this semester before I transfer somewhere legitimate. Should I just drop this class if I’m going to have a professor like this? Do you think he’s just heavily into analytical philosophy or is he just a dumbass?

It’s especially an issue because I find nietzsce’s perspective on ethics more interesting than just about any other philosopher, so will I just be wasting time in this class?

Ironically he didn’t.

>he’s just heavily into analytical philosophy or is he just a dumbass?
Whats the difference desu haha

To be fair you're saying some pretty ignorant shit

Your professor is right. Nietzsche is an edgelord with nothing of substance to say. You'd have to be illiterate to take him seriously. His only work with any value is the Birth of Tragedy, and even that is heavily flawed.

If you're interested in ethics I suggest you read Aristotle's 'Nichomachean Ethics' and the 'Moral Discourses' of Epictetus.

bump

It's a testament to how fucking brilliant Aristotle is that we take half of the Ethics as just common sense, they've been so inculcated into our culture.

Nietzsche was about transcending nihilism, brainlet

>tfw you write yourself into a philosophy induced nervous breakdown trying to show how humanity can overcome nihilism by embracing struggle, creating new values, and making art our religion only for edgy teenagers 100 years later to read your works and think you're a fucking nihilist

>the aphorism is scorned by “serious” people, the professors look down upon it.
>(...) When they read a book of aphorisms, they say, “Oh, look what this fellow said ten pages back, now he’s saying the contrary. He’s not serious.” Me, I can put two aphorisms that are contradictory right next to each other. Aphorisms are also momentary truths. They’re not decrees. And I could tell you in nearly every case why I wrote this or that phrase, and when. It’s always set in motion by an encounter, an incident, a fit of temper, but they all have a cause. It’s not at all gratuitous.

Here we go, it happened. We're stuck with this meme for the foreseeable future.

>someone doesn't like my favorite philosopher
>h-he's j-just s-some stupid asshole, r-right?

He's right, god's not dead and Nietzsche's assassination failed. Sorry Leastiests.

braindead /pol/tard

What does pol have to do with anything?

the sort of adolescent deontology that is all about muh struggle and action and being a man OMG i hate nihilists... NIETZSCHE WAS NOT A NIHILIST!!! :(((((( NIHILISM IS BAD BOO BOO :(

I can agree with that but I still don't think he is from pol necessarily. Also I prefer scnoppy

yeah, I meant not so much to castigate any particular belief system but more the underlying attitudes of the userbase... these people are brain-controlled by their meme associations to come to things with stupid preconceptions
gas the polkikes, race war now

>100 years later
>go to bookstore
>Nietzsche still there
>no trace of professor

>100 years later
>no trace of anyone

>His only work with any value is the Birth of Tragedy, and even that is heavily flawed.

It is a seriously underrated work for what it is though. I have no idea why you wouldn't start reading N through this.

What was your assertion OP?

Sounds like you put all your eggs in that niche basket