HOLY- QUEEEEN IS SLAAAAAAAYING ONCE AGAIN!

HOLY- QUEEEEN IS SLAAAAAAAYING ONCE AGAIN!

>Penguin is saying yes to Virginia Woolf and Margaret Atwood but no to the likes of James Joyce and Martin Amis as it prepares to open a bookshop in east London that will only sell books by women.

>The pop-up store Like a Woman will be open from 5-9 March on Rivington Street in Shoreditch, to mark International Women’s Day and the centenary of the Representation of the People Act, which extended the women’s right to vote. The shop, which will stock books by more than 200 writers, will “celebrate the persistence of women who’ve fought for change: those who fight, rebel and shout #LikeAWoman”, according to Penguin.

theguardian.com/books/2018/feb/16/like-a-woman-bookshop-to-sell-female-authors-only

>saying no to Martin Amis

a lesson for us all

>a penguin classics collection with no morrissey or fucked up pynchon copy
thank god

wow, you're really buttmad about a novelty bookstore, huh

The only thing I see wrong with that is article The Guardian's writing style. Was it necessary at all to mention Joyce or Amis? It's an article about a pop-up bookshop that'll be open for four fucking days.

>>a penguin classics collection with no morrissey
i miss this time, we were all so innocent

I wish I was well read enough to laugh at this joke. I'm assuming it's why I'm also the only reply you receive.

What on Earth is wrong with this? You can find classics in any bookstore. They're doing something different.

>was it necessary
No, probably not, but look at what that needlessly inflammatory language got OP to do.

While I do like the premise “celebrate the persistence of women who’ve fought for change: those who fight, rebel and shout #LikeAWoman”, I think it is in reality an empty subterfuge to make another "only grills space" and pander to some women's desire of feeling special through shallow forced sorority.

Given that we have 3 "womyn never wrote a good book" threads a day this board can only benefot from more such stores.
You either get to be purposefully ignorant or complain about people fighting ignorance.

Well. This is all very fucking pathetic.

Post a fucking archive link you tard you are bringing them views

This is a political statement and has nothing to do with literature, it was just posted on the wrong board

SLAY bells ring

They should have put pop-up in the title. The title only exists to clickbait the feminist and anti-feminist crowds. Pop-ups are irrelevant novelties

Listen to this man, the 15 clicks that we gave this article will surely fund the Soros network!

The joke is that Martin Amis is shit

They should only sell to women as well.

how DARE they make a political statement i dont agree with?

also

>Veeky Forums top 100 has like 2, maybe 3 women
>"why do women authors need awareness????????"

>another YAAAAAS thread
If you want to improve the world, buy a couple of books by random men and then simply kill yourself.

Who cares let them have their own brainlet safespace

Certainly would help if we actually bought the titles of men.

I have evidence for this, but if you consider the vast majority of women authors produce books about self-help, cooking, "personal journeys" they are infinitely more marketable.

When we like and obsess about an author, we'll either get it at the library, or online somehow.

This is supply and demand. If Mishima was a perennial top seller, they'd be pushing more thundercock lit.

>It is only fair that women are acknowledged for what they have not written

This is bullshit

>Rivington Street in Shoreditch
it's going to get zero customers even tho shoreditch is hipster central
rivington street is a dingy back street
the entrance to diagon alley is along there somewhere

>men are more likely to write books
>there has never been a woman genius in literature of the caliber of Plato, Dante, Goethe, Proust or Joyce
>women need to have the same visibility of men in something they are statistically less likely to do and do as well as men

>shoreditch is hipster central

shoreditch is normie central, the hipsters went further east and all live in homerton now

>Veeky Forums top 100 has like 2, maybe 3 women
wtf

People who post politically charged articles in an attempt to get Veeky Forums to rabidly decry the end of civilization the way retarded /pol/acks do should be banned

based yassqueenposter

agree

Maybe your standards are themselves patriarchal and Eurocentric. All those authors you mentioned happen to be straight upper class white males, and yet they are never blamed for centering in a privileged perspective and experience

The fact that I can't tell if you're being ironic or not hurts.

Chuckled

Sappho. Just because you're an ignorant pleb doesn't mean she hasn't been washed from history

Fuck off brain let

ok user let's pretend you're right for a second. Which authors should I check out? (Btw I read the Second Sex and thought it was well written even if I disagreed with its conclusions)
>inb4 it's about gender or race

Maybe she was of the same caliber or greater, but sadly we're only left with fragments. They're impressive on their own and hint towards greatness, but we'll never truly know. Why live?

>Getting upset big publishing houses are shit
Wew. Time to start your own indie publishing houses, impotent white males of Veeky Forums. Oh, that's right, all of you are just here to get shocked and never make any art of your own.

Project harder next time buddy. I don't know what's worse the /pol/-tards or bitter white male faggots like you who get a rush out of putting down people on a literature discussion board on a Chinese Checkers website.

Nah, just annoyed you faggots can't even write or have any interest in publishing properly. I started a zine and write everyday, you projecting kike.

>entrepreneur discovers an underserved niche market
>successful in getting large brands to support the endeavor
>wins positive media coverage
>bitter neckbeards cry about it online
>entrepreneur proceeds to successfully earn money and respect of their peers anyway
The circle of life

How do they know they identified as male? James Joyce could've been female for all they know.

i support this but at the same time its all just marketing at this point so is it really changing anything?

If this were Canada, I'd be filling out the Charter Rights paper work right now as well as demanding what all of us should command: that feminist oppression against the gender neutral has got to stop. Woman have too long oppressed us with their biological categories, and it's time that Amis be accepted on the basis of his humanity rather than his supposed gender identity. If Amis were not to live in fear of the repercussion imposed by these feminists, he might himself have the balls to speak up for his non-binary brethren.

Why would you support this?

its sort of embarassing for people to get upset over this

When it goes out of business they will blame sexism.

This

Poetry and literary circles are already dominated by women. How retarded are these fucking bints? Of the poetry events in my city, 70% are feminist and of the other 30% women make up the most attendees. JK Rowling and E. L. James are a couple of the highest selling authors. From what I've read, publishing is dominated by women. How are they still acting like they're oppressed?

both Amisii are hot air balloons imho

It's ok if you don't understand the comedy, but it's embarrassing to read your about you lack of a sense of humour.

If women are brave enough to risk walking the steeetz of acid in the face Londonistan then let them read whatever dykey nonsense they want

>While I do like the premise “celebrate the persistence of women who’ve fought for change: those who fight, rebel and shout #LikeAWoman
Why?

it's about being a decent, empathetic human and caring about marginalised people

>saying no to Joyce
>saying yes to Atwood

That's like proudly not going to the unversity library and installing Netflix.

Maybe if you only know about Handmaid's Tale, because you're an unread pleb yourself.

Go fuck yourself, Oryx & Crake is trash and you know it.

2 too many

>started a zine
look guys he started a zine!!
>you faggots can't even write or have any interest in publishing properly
again you don't know anybody here personally stop projecting, and if you're so much better than us than why are you here

>Atwood has only written those two books.
Wew. Also look into her short stories (meta-fiction ones)

>than why are you here
Why are you on a literature board, inbred? Most of the time, the board is okay without all the virtue signalling, critique threads and genre shit tbqh desu.

>Oh, that's right, all of you are just here to get shocked and never make any art of your own.
If that's what you think Veeky Forums is then it's extra-sad that you come here to gloat.

Why do so many women drag their sex down like this? Why do so many men enable it as well? Not even the legless need this much propping up.

Veeky Forums is an autistic humanities student support group with nomadic NEETs and the occasional schizoid. Is this your only form of literary discussion, NEET?

besides the obvious ironies concerning discrimination i always found it funny how capitalists exploit little bullshit causes like feminism and sodomy acceptance and these people eat it up not even realizing that the purpose of companies is to make money and they dont give a fuck about your cause

I come here to shitpost when I'm slacking off at work (work evenings in an office). Once more,
>Veeky Forums is an autistic humanities student support group with nomadic NEETs and the occasional schizoid. Is this your only form of literary discussion, NEET?
If that's what you think of it what are you doing here? To feel superior? That's just sad desu.

I have autism and had a psychosis. I study English and Philosophy. Get off my board, you normie faggot.

Why are you butthurt about it? Or about people's reaction to it?

the only way to 'stick it to the man' in this cultural marxist dystopia of ours in which 'the man' is a 300lbs generqueer blob with neon blue hair is by being openly white and straight. Cultural Marxism and Capitalist corporations have joined forces to form a single totalitarian system, only the third position can defeat the forces of POZ. tbhh I have started to resent the so called lgbt community, when I was an edgy imageboard teen I felt rather sympathetic towards them, but now I see them as shrill, self righteous corporate drones.

you're on the right track, check out Baudrillard and Clouscard (if you can read French) if you haven't already.
lmao I wonder what tovarisch Lenin would think of that

No, fuck off, I'm not going to read her bibliography just because it "might get good".
You should read all my asinine notes aswell because I want you to.
She's shit, get over it.
She's the female Bret Easton Ellis.

>Plato
>white
>straight

Kingsley is great and you know

I showed you her literary work, you only know about the pleb fiction because you, yourself, are a pleb. Hag Seed is an intertextual work of Shakespeare's Tempest. Her short stories are avant garde and work on meta-fiction.

>huge company doing great PR to capitalize for profits on millenials' retarded political opinions

Literally no reason to be mad at this

Ursula K. Le Guin worth a read?

>implying

London Fields is a good book. Sometimes he gets a little too wanky with the sub-Nabokovian wordplay but still...

Yes actually, Lathe of Heaven is really /comfy/

Yep.

The entirety of our civilisation is one huge viral marketing campaign by this point. politics and art have been effectively liquidated.

>Sometimes he gets a little too wanky
We could all use a good wank every once in while.

So I should buy this one day?

Why don't you read one first to see if you like her as an author before you sperg out and buy everything?

>Atwood
>Good

you can keep convincing yourself she's some kind of genius but it ain't sticking.
Also your arguments are brim-filled with fallacies as well you turbo-pleb.

>Shakesperian
Umm... sweetie.

>brim-filled with fallacies

It's not Shakespearian, you fucking pleb, it's intertextuality. Forgot this board is filled with meme faggots who've never actually read into literature or literary criticism.

u just learned the words 'shakespearian', 'intertextuality' and 'metafiction' and you think they make you sound smart.

this desu. The dystopia is now

>triggered enough to change file name
fucking cringe

I didn't even say Shakespearian until the other guy did. to which I pointed out his stupidity, you illiterate.

>triggerd xD
Wew. Maybe reddit is more your speed.

>hurrr fallacies are for fedoras durrrr

>The entirety of our civilisation is one huge viral marketing campaign by this point
Again, nothing wrong with that

What's natural sorority then?

Fucking this. Long live Greek lesbians

They are. Most of the dorks on the innernet who bring them up saw the sticky on /pol/. Anyone else who uses them are usually reductive analytic autists who like to dismiss things because of "muh x fallacy!" without having to read much

>/pol/
>usually
>anyone else
This is ironically a strawman response.

Kek

>people I don't like like something so therefore it's bad
Doesn't mean you shouldn't aspire to not use fallacies, especially in debates. Nobody will take you seriously if you do.