How to get past the first half of this?

How to get past the first half of this?

Renounce Brainletism

Benjy: can tell age from his retard handler
Quinten: I don't know

To be fair I found Benjy's narrative much easier than Quentin's

This book contains the greatest visual pun in the history of American literature. It is as if the entire book was written for the ending on the golf course.

I would try having an IQ above 90.

By having reading comprehension above the 8th grade.

This thread reminded me about the time my brother tried to read this book. He'd read Faulkner in the past and really liked him. I remember he tried to hard sell me once on Absalom Absalom when I was wondering if I should start reading Faulkner. A couple months later, I come back with Absalom, Sound and Fury, and As I Lay Dying. I loan him Sound and the Fury. He literally read the first 15 pages and gave up. He said it was weird and hard to read. I still laugh about the time my brother, an english major got pleb filtered.

Benjin's narration jumps from scene to fucking scene man. Quentin is just stream of consciousness.

This makes you sound pretty pathetic. He's your brother and introduced you to Faulkner and all you can do is jerk yourself off on how much smarter you are than him.

This post also reminds of the time my brother bought Infinite Jest. It was the summer between his freshman and sophomore year of college. I remember seeing that book sit on the piano bench all summer. It never moved. I also remember it being the book I always saw at McKay's Used Book store. I distinctly remembered it because "Wallace" was next to "Welsh" and at that time in high school I was very into Irvine Welsh. Anyways fast forward to the summer between my junior and senior year of college. I decided to read IJ that summer like my brother. My brother sees me reading it. He says, "Do you actually like that book? Do you understand what's going on?" I tell him I do, and I'm enjoying it very much. He says "Yeah I couldn't get past page 100. It was all over the place and just boring. I liked his essays though. You should read Brief Interviews with Hideous Men." Needless to say I finished IJ the first two weeks into summer. I still laugh about the time my brother got pleb filtered by DFW.

Maybe I'm a sperg like Benjy too, who knows

>irl his brother is everything he wishes to be

I don't get it. Did he hit his head and become dumber or something or was he lying all along about liking Faulkner?

Read it slower and look up some hints from the internet. For example, know that Maury's chapter begins as he's watching golfer's on land that used to belong to the Compsons. Recognize, also, that whenever you see italics, it represents a transition from one place to another (usually across time, not location). Recognize, also, that Luster and Dilsey are still servants of the family even though they're no longer prominent or wealthy.

For part 2, recognize that Quentin is obsessed with his sister's purity and his father's nihilism and is wandering around a university campus - supposedly receiving an education his family sacrificed a lot for.

It's literally a Hal and Orin situation.

Putting down Wallace isn't a pleb filter. Finishing him is. This meme has serious potential though. Keep spamming it.

I read 1/3 of Absalom and thought it was over-elaborated, but I might try to read it again, because he's a big influence on some writers whom I respect.

It feels like reading a heavy book of Petrarchean sonnets without a very long pause for rest in-between. All highly well-done, I admit, but tiresome too. In the case of Petrarch, you read it bit by bit. In the case of Faulkner, you will eventually lose track of the characters if you stop to rest, so you have to read it all at once, which is kind of unbearable to me.

(I have a real problem with not being able to do other stuff while I read a novel. Doesn't occur when I read poetry, for some reason...)

I have no idea. But at our university there is an American authors class English majors have to take. Faulkner is one of the authors covered and Absalom Absalom is always read in that class. He liked that book. S&F was just too hard for him.
I wish I had more stories but I don't. And I don't feel like making some up. The only other thing that happened was he made fun of me for reading Russian literature.

How do I read the latter? Quentin's part is the only one that is even remotely enjoyable.

i loved the first bit but lost interest in the second bit
i need to go back to it