Is Reddit the best argument against public education?

Is Reddit the best argument against public education?

I genuinely don't see what's wrong with that pic, other than being somewhat entry level.

I'm sorry not everyone is an enlightened 200 IQ obscure science fiction connoisseur OP?

They have no relation to a 'science and numbers guy'.

They deserve to suffer.

So we should cut public education: making everyone illeterate and reducing the number of people that go on to learn the skills needed to perform advanced jobs.

Because if we do it will reduce the amount of silly things said on Reddit. Here's an idea why don't you stop looking up and saving images of these people you hate so much. Wow! What a concept.

Can any user here give me a brief, straightforward argument in favor of continuing our social experiment of mass compulsory public education? It seems to me that it's utterly failed in the United States. I

>not a single analogy
Doesn't sound like green desu, where are the dicks and cereal?

>not just confining the idiots to life as serfs

Reddit's quality depends on the sub, really. /r/literature, /r/badphilosophy and /r/chapotraphouse are pretty great among a few others. The rest is mostly shit.

>/r/badphilosophy and /r/chapotraphouse

Bad Philosophy went downhill since they banned trolley problem threads

But we've had public education for years and still have many stupid people.

/r/badphilosophy is pseud central, even more so than here

they also become a bit no-fun-allowed over time

Lmao do you just browse reddit all day to find things to be outraged at, then come here and ask people to validate your outrage with a pat on the back?

outrage is justified against r*ddit
it's not only an example against enforced education, but liquification of class

yes subhumans generally don't know the difference between wallowing in manure and walking upright through this world

Public education is the only context in which Veeky Forums actually encounters books.

>/r/badphilosophy and /r/chapotraphouse are pretty great
Man no
Are you that guy who joins class group-messages and spams autistic Stalin memes?

>/r/badphilosophy and /r/chapotraphouse are pretty great
behold, for this is where all the /leftypol/ shit on this board is coming from

seconding this

>The left's "edgy and dry answer to the alt-right" is a bunch of stereotypical nu-males posting Facebook tier communism memes and banning "misogynists" for criticizing Hillary
Always gives me a laugh.

How about implement an efficient system designed to produce people for certain occupational positions rather than spending untold billions to teach semi-literacy in English and math up to basic calculus over the course of more than a decade.

idiot

>/leftypol/ comes from all the places I don't like instead of the actual board itself

I frogpost ironically

If you don't find reddit viscerally intolerable, you don't deserve Veeky Forums

>r/badphilosophy and /r/chapotraphouse are pretty great
anger

>deserve Veeky Forums

Quality-wise, Veeky Forums is basically an average or slightly below average subreddit.

Does anyone else here who's left-leaning find Chapo to be cringe?

Then fucking leave, Jesus

No

Why? There's some decent content here.
A bit generous, I know, but we do get good discussions here from time to time.

So what are some above average subreddits, then?

Where the hell does this guy live? Maybe it's just because I'm a bit younger (he's 40, surprisingly), but anyone who has gone to public education and also lives in America can see how mind-bogglingly stupid this is. First, just in daily life, you can clearly see how stupid many people still are. Second, if you have ever gone to public education in America, you know that there are a shitton a mindbogglingly dense misfits who probably can't even point out where their state is on a map of the US, struggle with basic algebra or even arithmetic, and in general take absolutely nothing of value from schools. Beyond learning how to read and write (and many students come out not even knowing how to do either that well or with a sustained attention span), there are still many who don't take much of value from public school.

>Everyone itt

What would you say to this response: Could you imagine how many more stupid people there would be without public education?

Quality is pretty variable, but in some parts of the country public schools are perfectly fine. I went to a public high school and almost every graduating class had people going to Ivies. The only people who went to private schools were Catholic.
That being said, my parents were living in Mississippi when my older brother was born and my parents were really concerned about what they were going to do because even the private schools were shit.

/r/Suomi

The upvote system ensures that people only ever recommend books that other users will recognise, because that way they win the most points (recommends Douglas Adams, 872 people clap). Hence /r/books is just the same 20 or 30 books recommended over and over again, with little variance in opinion about any of them (either they absolutely loved it or absolutely hated it).

>Hence /r/books is just the same 20 or 30 books recommended over and over again

i have some bad news for my friend

>designed to produce people for certain occupational positions

How can someone on a Veeky Forums board believe the purpose of education is solely producing professionals?

That lit is the same? :D

r/the_donald

It's more of a pipe dream than a purpose. Having professionals (and being a professional) is nice. Makes capitalism bearable even if you're not in the political or investor class.

/r/Veeky Forums
the worst of both worlds

Does lit even have that many? It's all DFW/Pynchon/Joyce/Kafka/muh greeks memery.

Every week or so you'll see someone talk about a literal who author. It doesn't stay alive for long since no one can contribute to the discussion, hence why the popular books seem to be discussed all the time.

Thats an overstatement

I'll bite, because it's exceptionally hard to determine competence in a specific field if someone doesn't have a general knowledge base to know what they're good at.

For with a system that focuses on specialization at an early age you could end up with someone who gets pegged as an artist and only ever ends up being mediocre as such when they would have been a spectacular mathematician if only they had reached a point at which they began to explore some new facet of mathematics

As someone who has studied a lot of advanced mathematics I often find that my peers are people who said that they found math difficult until they hit a certain level and then it just sort of clicked with them and they become incredibly proficient. Specifically I know a lot of people who say that they struggled with algebra but when when they were introduced to calculus math suddenly made more sense on a whole and they started to enjoy working through mathematical problems now that they were starting to understand some of the bases of the formulas they had been presented with over the years and how to improvise new ones on their own.

I think that if you're going to provide any education on a public basis that your goal should be trying to find people who can and will reach that critical point where they pass from being proficient enough to start fully grasping the material they're being presented with in a way that allows them to excel and learn on their own. As things I feel that public schools in the US fall just short of that goal, with this critical point generally only being reached once an individual has spent a year or two in college studying a chosen field that they have natural talent in.

I think one of my own lower level calculus professors said it best. "You are not here to learn the material we're presenting you or to solve the problems in these books. Every question I'll ask you has a known solution already and I can give you the awnser to every single one of them just by looking in my notes or in my copy of the book. We're here to make sure that you have the tools to teach yourself to solve new problems that nobody has ever seen yet. We want you to be able to awnser questions that nobody has the awnser to yet and to do that you're going to have to learn how to do that on your own."

"You're here to learn how to learn."

I mostly agree with this in principal.

The benefit of education isn't to make people smarter, or even better people. It's to expose them to new information and to relieve them of their ignorance so that they can ply whatever intelligence they have available to them more effectively.

The with not providing public education is I said above. Sure, you can sink all of your resources into only educating the best and the brightest, but it's going to be hard to figure out exactly who those individuals are without a public education system to allow them to shine on their own.

/r/books>/l*t/

We actually discuss literature on /r/books. Downvotess get rid of the undesirables. Upvotes currate quality contenr.

Here they discuss nothing but false Jewish conspiracies.

Yes.

Nah. /r/Veeky Forums and /r/drama have insane levels of concentrated autism.

bad bait

That's the price you pay for having a fucking huge ass population. Lot of retards.
Just look at China.

/r/badphilosophy can be funny but they are quite a left-leaning moral realist, platonist and anti-physicalist circlejerk because of Reddit and ironically they are also prone at making bad shallow philosophy in the comments about social or political things if the mods like it.

That's not what public education is for. Privatized education designates people to teach you based on personal relationships.

A privatized education tutoring system would function much like how law practices today function. Very small 2-3 person businesses, with many different clients.

No

And also, every single individual would have a teacher.

>democracy is an inviolable principle