Where do I start with Lacan?

Where do I start with Lacan?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!DJdkhYTR!gNrR2Hm7we5O0dyfwBHG0g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You throw drinks at him and call him a non-revolutionary savant.

You start with Heidegger

Zizek's How to read Lacan maybe. Also Lacan's seminars can be found online, including in English, and Zizek's advice is that you read each Freudian text as soon as Lacan mentions it. Also, being familiar with the history of philosophy, especially modern philosophy and German Idealism, and Saussurian structural linguistics helps.

Don't. Even Heidegger found him incomprehensible.

Thats a good thing, shows his power level

Zizek's how to read did not help at all.

Hegel, Heidegger, Freud

Do a 360 degree turn and walk away from that postmodern pseud as fast as possible

Lacan isn't a post-modernist

Before Freud: Heraclitus, Empedocles, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Plato, Shakespeare, Darwin, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche

Freud:
1. Outline of Psychoanalysis, it's a short book that will get you started.
2. Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis
3. New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

4. On Dreams, it's a dumbed down laymans version of Interpretation of Dreams, and is a decent introduction.

5. Interpretation of Dreams
6. Psychopathology of Everyday Life
7. Jokes and their Relation to the Unconscious

8. Three Essays on Sexuality
9. Beyond the Pleasure Principle
10. Ego and Id

11. Totem and Taboo
12. Future of an Illusion
13. Civilization and its Discontents

Before Lacan: Freud, de Saussure, Kant, Hegel, Marx, Heidegger, Jaspers, Kojève, Althusser, Bataille, Claude Lévi-Strauss

Secondary lit on Lacan:
Jacques Lacan: An Outline of a Life and History of a System of Thought - Elisabeth Roudinesco
A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis: Theory and Technique - Bruce Fink
The Lacanian Subject: Between Language and Jouissance - Bruce Fink

Lacan:
Seminars
Écrits

>Lacan isn't a post-modernist

>360 degree turn

How stupid are you?

He literally isn't though. I mean the term is a meme and can be stretched to apply to anyone but fucking Aristotle but he in no way rejects our ability to form concrete hermeneutic readings of situations or takes subtext to supersede the text itself.
Really he's the most useful thinker to read for anyone who actually wants to counter post-modernists

mega.nz/#F!DJdkhYTR!gNrR2Hm7we5O0dyfwBHG0g
Start with 1997.

>Really he's the most useful thinker to read for anyone who actually wants to counter post-modernists
That's probably Habermas, desu.

Seconded

Habermas is dogshit for virgins, I would life IRL if someone told me they were a Habermas fan

Most philosophers this board calls post-modernist actually aren't.

Habermas je a caricature of the pol cultural Marxist boogeyman. He should be discarded entirely.

*laugh IRL

>Actually supports the state
>Believes we should overcome subjectivity
>Doesn't believe in abortion
>Not a Jew

He's literally the definition of controlled opposition. Having some basic bitch moderate conservatism doesn't wash away the fact he's still a flag waver for the same old New School yid bullshit

Underrated post. I personally started with Psychopathology of Everyday Life, but this is also fine. While reading Freud try writing down your dreams and analysing them for some extra insight.

itsa meme!