Prove you are not a brainwashed Veeky Forums pseud, post recent purchases and rate the those of others...

Prove you are not a brainwashed Veeky Forums pseud, post recent purchases and rate the those of others. So far I love Dorian Grey and The Art of Memory, which I am starting to think might be one of the books that should be a must read. I have not touched Scarlett Letter or Les Liasons.

Fucking pseud

William Paley - Natural Theology
Jean Racine - Iphigenia/Phaedra/Athaliah
Amelia Opie - Adeline Mowbray
Plutarch - On Sparta
Alasdair MacIntyre - Herbert Marcuse: An Exposition and a Polemic

augustis
arcades project
the story of art
stoner
butchers crossing

doestnt mean shit until i read it though. this thread is fucking stupid

I bought one book. :/

Whenever I finish Elements by Leon Walras I'll buy Manual of Political Economy, which is gonna run me around sixty/seventy bucks.

My books are too expensive :/

Sorry, I should have specified. That political economy book will be from Vilfredo Pareto.

cut out the middleman and get de umbris idearum OP

Well?

Hamlet - William Shakespeare
Nausea - Jean-Paul Sartre
The Plague - Albert Camus
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver

>de umbris idearum

Ordered

Found a few I wanted to read and on the way home a friend told me he’d found a bottle of my favorite bourbon. Seems a waste not to post it

4/10
7/10
6/10
7/10
8/10
7.5/10
4/10
5/10

How are you liking Farina? I couldn't finish it personally, but I may go back to it soon.

>scarlet letter

Fuck that book.

>buying books at full price
hahahaha

i can tell what kind of person you are, what cant tell is whether or not you are going to read those books because you'll enjoy them, or because they fit your self-image

take a photo or fuck off

can't really comment.

okay bit i feel like you're not going to have much fun

tremendous pseud

killeth yourself

Are you sure you aren't going to find a couple of pdf scans printed on computer paper stapled together?

Philosophy of Language by Scott
Robert Frost's Poetry

Why?

I haven't bought a book in around 6 months now. I probably have only 2 or 3 books that i would purchase, so all in all I have pretty much completed my library. I don't need to buy any more.

have you read any other scheler or whitehead?

Make way, plebs.

Preface to Plato - Eric Alfred Havelock
The Waning of the Middle Ages - Johan Huizinga
Science and Sanity - Alfred Korzybski
Pages from the Goncourt Journals - Edmond de Goncourt
Monsieur De Phocas - Jean Lorrain
The Triumph of the Therapeutic: Uses of Faith after Freud - Philip Rieff
Far Away and Long Ago - William Henry Hudson
The Education of Henry Adams - Henry Adams

I've read them all except the Philip Rieff book, which I'm halfway through right now.

>be pseudo intellectual
>display books on Veeky Forums that you didn’t read yet
Come one user, not all of us are dumb niggers

>return or replace items

Also 1% negative lifetime review.

Also, they were the only seller with this book under $900. Yes. Nine hundred fucking dollars. I don't feel like paying that much for the book. I hardly felt like paying the $113

I've spotted the only patrician ITT

>Prove you are not a brainwashed Veeky Forums pseud
>post recent purchases and rate
Friend, your premise contradicts itself. You and everyone posting pics in this thread is a pseud.

A patrician never completes his library.

I also have "White Mughals" by Dalrymple and "Mother of 1084" coming over Amazon, but I had them sent to my home address. Think they've already arrived but haven't been able to pick up from mommy yet.

I've been getting into (Henry) Miller recently also. It was while I was half-way through Patrick Leigh Fermor's NYRB books and I noticed an old Grove Press copy of Tropic of Cancer and an edition of the Obelisk Press Tropic of Capricorn stacked in my closet, probably years ago while in university. I speed read Cancer in an afternoon and then took my sweet time with Capricorn. I'm currently on Nexus (kinda boring, really), but that first week with Miller was a helluva ride.

How come? Its a funny romp. I actually really like it. Dont have to THINK to hard.

i have read through Process and Reality (though i am hoping to reread it soon having a better grasp on Whitehead) and some secondary works on / or draw heavily on, Whitehead.
for Scheler the book is my introduction to him proper after having read some reference to him that interested me - i've gotten a bit into Formalism in Ethics, and i have to say i am fairly impressed by the range of topics he covers so far.

based poo

>Recent purchases
Faust pt. I & II
John Milton - Samson Agonistes, Paradise Regained
Torquato Tasso - Jerusalem Delivered
Augustine - The Confessions
Herodotus - The Histories
François Rabelais - Gargantua and Pantagruel
Volker Ullrich - Hitler: the Ascent
Anne Applebaum - Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine
Stephen Kotkin - Stalin: Paradoxes of Power, Stalin: Waiting for Hitler

Purchased all of these since mid-January. Rate and hate, fuckos

Brainflooded so that the basement is no longer safe, but luckily I've not made any additions that would attract the attention of an unwanted inspector. Still in the catch a tiger phase, looking over what might good right now. Suggestions on order?

tfw I'm not a poo

>prove you're not a pseud
>consumerist brand posturing conflated with intellectual pursuit

why do you have hindi banknotes

Martin Buber, Spinoza and a Rimbaud biography. very nice. Given the presence of DE RE METALLICA I think you might enjoy reading Primo Levi's stories in The Periodic Table, if you haven't already.

>Brainflooded

If you imagine everything as posturing you're giving people too much credit. So at least if you're going to be cynical, try to think it through instead of reiterating some meme condemnation that is itself nothing but a posture at the level of an Adbusters issue, except without all the gloss - in fact that's what is missing from most of the Veeky Forumstle's trash talk, a veneer that fits their frame, something cheap and gaudy that calls attention to itself without being too ornamental.

I keep currency from every country I visit as a souvenir.

I can read and write Hindi Devanagari but I'm not a poo, personally.

Posturing maybe, but why are we accusing people of brand posturing specifically?

Ah, I see OP buys shitty Barnes & Noble classics line books, he must be one of the cultural elite. Meanwhile 2nd poster prefers Penguin, so I know he's retro and thus truly hip.

Am I the only person who buys books without giving a fuck where they came from? Jeebus.

J I Z Z ED

Yes, my post was completely serious. Personally I only buy imported books, none of this domestic rubbish. If a book has been localized and printed on a domestic press I go out of my way to find a version printed elsewhere and have it shipped to me.

as a german speaking national i look at the english printing landscape in deep shame. It is disgracefull, in what fashion english printing companies put books into conditions beraft of any shape and sharpness, it is practically battery. in which fashion books are robbed of their character, to be sold as some obscure past time digestive for patients of metabolic schizophrenia. people must have serious eye sickness to find these deliberate defigurations appealing. good price aside. it is belitteling in so many ways. at least it looks like that to me.

sorry for my abysmal english. ofc i meant all of the anglo countries main printing companies. the bigger players so to say. Whenever for example in the shelf threads i see this aesthetically dislocating onepot of steaming feces in all the chewing gum colors of the rainbow, and deliberately infantilistic lettering that looks as if the 19th century was nothing but a corporate enterprise bit to sell maculant callygraphy to illiterates and children at their beds and coffeetables, and all these preraffaelite pseudo shitty garbage paintings on their front covers i could P U KE

enjoyable posts, teutonic friend
how are the prints in germany? any examples

Left Hand of Darkness or Moby-Dick

>The Art of Memory, Yates

German, and European bookmaking in general, including Dutch and French and Italian bookmaking, in my experience, is much better than Anglophone world books. I'm not the germananon but I'm always impressed with the quality of my German books.

It's to do with how short the print-runs are for UK presses, the cheap acid paper they use, etc., in fact the United States' bookmaking is far superior to the United Kingdom's, but Europeans generally take pride in their books and I've found theirs to be the best.

i cant upload at the moment. but i will try to before the thread collapses

Fucking pseuds

The newest stuff I bought recently was Left and Right by Norberto Bobbio (with I already have read several times even before owning a copy) and The Law by Frédéric Batista (idk how to write his name clearly) with I ended reading it tao days ago (even made a thread about it in here, asking people's opinion on the book).

>spending money on books

>nrvs
embarassing

I remembered Walden to be a thinner book, did the editor start masturbating and fell asleep on the typewriter again

t. muh kjv faggot

Just Watch Me by Kenny Wright
A Change in Our Marriage by Sara Desmarais
My Cheating Wife by Anastasia Rose

>prove you are not a pseud
>by showing on the internet the physical books you've acquired
yeah right

I don't buy books and show them off on a chinese imageboard. How about that?

>not having physical books

Imagine having this many opinions on Veeky Forums's book board

The brand everyone here's flaunting is "smart person who reads".
The posturing usually isn't conscious, and to yourself.

That Silmarillion looks so aesthetic. I want it.

It's the regular hardback edition - 9780261102422.

Where are you from? Nice collection.

Born and raised in the United States.

I have a ton of coins at my family home, too, but didn't take them when I moved out. I really regret not remembering to collect currency notes from Georgia, Kazakhstan, and a handful of other "rare" places.

eh

>purchased Opus Posthumous, Wallace Stevens, yesterday for $7.50 at a used shop.
Already read through the Adagia and a few of the essays.
Art of Memory, though a very good book, comes second in that Trilogy. Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition is simply fantastic. FWIW.

only book i've bought in the last couple months. Already have a quite a few physical books to read, not to mention I've been busy with nonfic e-books. Bought it because I love novels centered around theology and because it is short enough to be a quick "break from nonfic" book

>post recent purchases and rate the those of others

these actions are mutually exclusive

Pleb & Meme classics is the height of pseudery

Jesus Christ.... are you all newfags or something?

I had a thought about getting into book binding yesterday. Just a thought. But it came about because of a potential market I see opening in statement such as these, although not so over the top. Basically, once books hit the record stage of revival because of nostalgia and their supposed "warmth" of type, a book binder might find themselves in vogue. I'm speculating that a Pippy, those follk-punkish hippys making zines, who outgrows his wanderlust and finds himself wealthy yet discontent returns one day in his thirties after his girlfriend leaves him for a younger, hep chad, to a radical entrepreneurial phase in which, to the dismay of all, he binds the most gorgeous books filled with ancient obscure texts for people that some consider to be neo-nazis, or fascists at least, capital C corporatism, as well as tech billionaires obsessed with Giarard and Innis - those who have already had the faux-diamond hieroglyphics carved into their factorys' entrance ways.

Price points are menacing things. But even worse is the inherent branding within the product. Luxury states something that cheapness does not. In fact the cheapness of my books are almost necessary in that the level of their sacredness is brought into full view. To edge Darwin's origin of species in rubys would be worthwhile, but dangerously misleading....

>imagine being a blank slate
im sure people love talking with you

What's up, pseuds

I just go to the library senpai

What's wrong with B&N's books? Shouldn't the content matter more than the publisher? I do like the preface in many of the Pinguin books.

Picking up some new books on Wednesday. Choices for two of them are another Kobo Abe and Krasznahorkai novel, feel like the next one should be a surrealist or symbolist novel but I really can't decide.

Lamentably basic

Wow psued as fuck man. 1/10.

gay

>Implying anyone talks to you

This board sure brainwashed you lmao

Not at all. Who ever discusses Isaiah Berlin on Veeky Forums? The DFW collection's perhaps his best book, and the Bloom anthology's a great collection. Really, not bad at all. Especially if youre new to poetry or just want to read an almost timely essay.

>Beowulf
>Heimskringla
>On March Towards Eternity (Swedish wars in the 17th and early 18th centuries)
About halfway through the last one.

Fug forgot pic

even the children of da bomb will find solace in craftsmanship. othe borgeian paradox of the book. you cant have them all without the boundary

Nonces the bloody lot of you

How is the wonder that was India? I've been meaning to read it for some time now.

hello lit I want to get into books but im a brainlet. these are my purchases. did I do well? They are arranged in rough order based on how easy/entertaining I think they'll be, starting from the top. And Im currently reading Lolita.

ya dun goofed, Invisible Monsters is the best Palahniuk

Nice strat, fag