This is a reminder that the personal library contains an implicit ranking system

This is a reminder that the personal library contains an implicit ranking system.

The closer the book is to eye-level, the better it is thought.
The closer the book is to the centre, the better it is thought.
Books along the edges and those up high or down low are considered lesser books.

This is often subconsciously so.

i guess i fucking love the greeks
which is true

The books on the display table when you walk in? That there is your top 40.

Now that you mention that, I'll go check my bookcases. Though I very consciously arrange taller and thicker books towards the edges because it otherwise triggers my autism.

Joke's on you, my shelf is just a copy of Codex Seraphinianus surrounded by used condoms

But the top shelf is about eye level for me. Can't be both better and lesser. Must be a similar problem for manlets with the bottom shelf.

>But the top shelf is about eye level for me.

You need a taller shelf.

>not sorting books by size and cover type
Maybe I just have autism.

>He doesn't use LC system

Or it's just alphabetised..

No, OP is just insufficiently autistic, he has no right to organize a shelf.

I order them by country

>not sorting your books by topic or author alphabetically

I got double rows, genre fiction hides in shame in the back row while the big boy literature is in the front. The bottom shelf is children’s books, not because I don’t rank them highly but because I don’t really take them out much.

nah

This is accurate for me but it is also sorted by topic and similarity. Eye level bookshelves for me are: Western Philosophy, Graeco-Roman, Christian Theology. I have pretty much every major work on these subjects.

my library is in alphabetical order of author though, don't understand why anyone would have their books in any other way

No. I do alphabetical order top to bottom, left to right.

>not dividing them by language and then further subdivide them by country and author

This is the only acceptable way

Why by country and not time period, literary movement, topic, gender? It’s completely arbitrary.

God, I fucking love ponytails

>Books along the edges and those up high or down low are considered lesser books.
upper most left and right in my bookcase are The Count of Monte Cristo and Don Quixote
ah, I must be autistic

Efags btfo

A-Z overrides the subconscious

>Not arranging your shelves by category
>Not arranging those categories by size

Strange. I put my copy of Mein Kampf right where you'd see it when walking in unconsciously before placing it on the bottom left where its unlikely for anyone to see. Does this mean I love Mein Kampf more than any other book?

This. Makes things easier.