What are some Veeky Forums movies

i mean biopics of famous authors or film adaptations of canonical texts

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jDhV-l6rmzc
youtube.com/watch?v=wUSHFbfjUpY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Guy in OP’s pic getting savaged by Hyde was so pleasing.

love that memory

>the life of emile zola
>germinal
>a master builder
ill think of some more

These don't fit your criteria, but they are definitely interesting for those with literary dreams and pursuits:

>Barton Fink (with John Mahoney as a believable Faulkner stand-in)
>La Dolce Vita (about a journalist having a slow breakdown over seven days and nights as the scenery crumbles around him; it feels more like a novel than a film).
>Howl (about Ginsberg and the Beats during the obscenity trial of the titular poem).

>These don't fit your criteria
okay

The Maltese Falcon is a very faithful and very good adaptation of a classic novel.

They really ought to film Moby Dick. It could be superb. John Huston did one in the 1950s but it's terrible for a number of reasons:
a) Gregory Peck is hopeless as Ahab
b) The special effects are Ed Wood-tier
c) The direction is absolutely lead-footed

There are some ok-ish attempts at Shakespeare but none that really nail it, IMO.
Laurence Olivier's Richard III is decent.
Welles Chimes at Midnight has some good things but he takes a massively sentimental view of Falstaff (whom he plays himself). Shakespeare always has a very sharp eye for character faults and Falstaff is not all friendly joviality by any means.

I remember liking The Old Man And The Sea with Spencer Tracey, but it was a long time ago I saw it; it might not stand being revisited :)

Biopics of artists are almost invariably terrible because the actual act of artistic creation is utterly uncinematic.
The only decent artist-related movie I can think of off-hand is Amadeus.

fiercely united

>barry lyndon
>black orpheus
>tess
>the tin drum
>m butterfly
>one flew over the cuckoos nest
>blow-up (technically based on cortazar short story)
>american psycho
>dangerous method

django unchained

Interesting selection.

>barry lyndon
This does justice to the book except the book just isn't that great.
When I watch it I feel "OK, it's well-done, but why did he feel compelled to do it in the first place?"
Maybe it's because his enormous biopic of Napoleon (with Jack Nicholson) fell through and he wanted to work the period out of his system, haha :)
It's a bit like Scorsese doing Age of Innocence. Yes, he does it superbly well, but you wonder why he wanted to do it at all. He doesn't give the impression this is a story he HAS to tell.

>one flew
This one irritates me a bit because everyone goes on and on about it and the book is so much better.

>american psycho
They realised the book astonishingly well, IMO.

Since Veeky Forums seems to have a thing for it:

The Kubrick Lolita I don't think is very good; the newer one (with Jeremy Irons) is much better and does a pretty good job of conveying the feel of the novel (albeit by making heavy use of narration, but that's OK).

Other good books-to-films:

>The Remains of the Day
(faithful adaptation; not a great book but a decent one)
>Apocalypse Now
over-praised but still a pretty decent rendition of the Conrad
>No Country For Old Men
pretty faithful adaptation, except it doesn't put quite enough emphasis on the relationship between Moss & his wife (she's really the moral centre of the book IMO)
>The Road
Book is pretty good; Movie is nowhere near as watchable as No Country
>Fight Club
Readable book, well-rendered

>comparing martin "hack" scorcese to kubrick in any way

Kubrick was a man of broader culture but he never made a better film than Goodfellas.

probably the most pleb opinion ive ver seen on Veeky Forums

Not a particularly controversial opinion. If it's the "most" anything, you can't have read many posts here.

Kubrick is baby's first kino. The director redditors love because he seems less accessible and more intellectual despite being very entry-level. Don't get me wrong, Kubrick is great, but acting like he's some next level genius compared to Scorsese is ridiculous.

Documentaries count right?
youtube.com/watch?v=jDhV-l6rmzc
youtube.com/watch?v=wUSHFbfjUpY

True. Is there a single Kubrick film as interesting as After Hours? Yes, it's Eyes Wide Shut. The first time he really got at something deeper on the level of story telling.

>satantango
>"It also adapts every single one of the moments in the book, leaving nothing out."
>runtime: 432 minutes

Why not films directed by great authors?

Cocteau, Pasolini, Duras, Robbe-Grillet

Kubrick may be entry level but Scorsese is pleb tier flick level

Interesting... now you mention it, I can't think of a single decent film directed by a notable author.

It's almost worth writing a short story about Emily Dickinson's erotic cinematic masterpiece to fix this, even if we have to use time travel to overcome the technical difficulties.

>Duras
>Robbe-Grillet
>great authors

Elia Kazan was a filmmaker who wrote novels, but I wouldn't say he was a particularly good novelist. Nor a particularly good filmmaker either; don't @ me.)

Kazan is one of the greatest filmmaker humanity ever produced

Yes they are.

Kill yourself.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters is a great biopic. You should also watch the short film Patriotism that Mishima himself directed.

Barry Lyndon is a great film
Also watch his version of Lolita

They sure pretend they are

Robbe-Grillet is genuinely great

>baby's first
reddit faggot
kubrick's eyes wide shut is 10x better than anything made by scorsese

Came here to post this. It's in my top 10 favourite films, it's absolutely extraordinary - both of as a work of cinema and as a biographical film. Pretty incredible considering it arose out of the Hollywood system.

I would also recommend Michael Powell's A Canterbury Tale, Peter Greenaway's Prospero's Books (it's far from a traditional adaptation of The Tempest, but it is visually extraordinary and applies the meta-analysis of the source to film) and Luchino Visconti's The Leopard (he also directed a decent adaptation of Death in Venice)

The Color of Pomegranates
It's inspired by the life of Sayat-Nova, an Armenian poet and musician who lived in the 18th century. The film is very beautiful, almost like a live-action painting.

I should add that although it follows the life of a historical figure, it aims to be more of an art film than a standard biopic.

can't remember the name but it was based on a novel. A low budget art film about a young American man who finds himself adrift in Europe. Heavy existential themes a la Lost in Translation as he drifts aimlessly, enjoying the cheap thrills of loose Euro women and partying. Eventually he realizes his lifestyle isn't hollow after all, he is enjoying the magic of being young and full of love, energy, emotion, pain, heartache and bliss. The most famous scene is the main character overlooking Rome from the Gianicolo hill with his gang of good looking young mates, drinking cheap wine and savoring their youthful youthfulness. I love that film.

all I can think of when I see this picture is his tiny penis buried in pubic hair

Derek Jarman adapted Christopher Marlowe's Edward II. He also made a movie about Wittgenstein - has anyone seen it? Was Witty actually a homo or is it opportunistic revisionism? Not that I'd mind, I'm a faggot too, but I never remember reading about that.
Fassbinder's films are pretty Veeky Forums.
Calvary doesn't have any explicit literary connection I can think of but I think a lot of people hear would appreciate it.
Andrzej Wajda adapted two of Jerzy Andrzejewski's novels, Ashes and Diamonds and the lesser known Gates of Paradise, a book written in only two sentences without punctuation. Must've been a joy to adapt.
A Man for All Seasons, based on Robert Bolt's play.
Eric Rohmer's films are pretty Veeky Forums, too.
I really, really like this movie.
Haven't seen Four Chapters but Yukoku is beautiful.

Lazlo Krasznahorkai has collaborated on a bunch of films with the director Bela Tarr

I think that the consensus on Wittgenstein is that he was bisexual and had relationships with at least two men. This is based on his letters and journals.

Welles' Shakespeare adaptations - all of them
Die Dreigroschenoper
Orfeu Negro
Les Enfants Terribles
Orphee
Derrida

Un chant d'amour
Cocteau trilogy
Les amities particulares

Huston's Under the Volcano is fantastic.

I also love In herent Vice by PTa

I liked Kurosawa's take on Lear

He wrote Marienbad wich was a horrible and pretentious piece of shit

Kozintsev's Hamlet, King Lear, and Don Quixote

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead