Books about the sea

Can you recommend me essential books about the sea or books in which the sea has a major role?

I have only read pic related and I'm looking for similar suggestions that make you taste the flavor of the sea.

M

Moby Dick

great thread, lads!

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Hello
Moby Dikko is essential
Maybe like Crusoe and Coetzee's Foe
maybe 20000 leagues but I ain't red Verne
Odyssey, probably
Log from the Sea of Cortez if u wanna impress girls w all ur Steinbeck laying around (fuck it, throw in the pearl while you're at it)
the Waves (haha get it)
And lastely maybe like Ghost Ship by Stephen King

sry i was really racking my bookshelf try'na help the guy

There's a book called "the Sea, the Sea". I think it's by Iris Murdoch.

What's it about?

>The Old Man and The Sea
>We, the Drowned
>The Fish Can Sing
>The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
>The Toilers of the Sea
>The Pearl

>the Sea, the Sea
Oh, I've read it, I don't heeps remember everything. I think Charles Arrowby, leading light of England's theatrical set, retires from glittering London to an isolated home by the sea. He plans to write a memoir about his great love affair with Clement Makin, his mentor both professionally and personally, and to amuse himself with Lizzie, an actress he has strung along for many years. None of his plans work out, and his memoir evolves into a riveting chronicle of the strange events and unexpected visitors--some real, some spectral--that disrupt his world and shake his oversized ego to its very core.

In exposing the jumble of motivations that drive Arrowby and the other characters, Iris Murdoch lays bare "the truth of untruth"--the human vanity, jealousy, and lack of compassion behind the disguises they present to the world. Played out against a vividly rendered landscape and filled with allusions to myth and magic, Charles's confrontation with the tidal rips of love and forgiveness is one of Murdoch's most moving and powerful tales.

Moby dick

wtf how did i think of 'ghost ship' before 'old man and the sea'

>The Count of Monte Cristo
>Captain Blood
>The Nigger of the Narcissus and the Secret Sharer
>Two Years Before the Mast

pic related, great book

Also Robinson Crusoe if you haven't read it.

There is a collection called A Conrad Argosy that has basically all of Joseph Conrad's sea stories.

Conrad is Mr. Sea..

>Lord Jim
There's quite a bit of sea in Lord Jim although that's not really the main focus of the book.

>Typhoon
Short story about a slightly stupid, unimaginative ship's captain who runs into a typhoon because he doesn't really believe they can be all that bad.

Best visceral, terrifying description of a storm ever.

>The Odyssey
This has a fair bit of sea and since you should be reading it anyway, might as well bung it in

William Golding served in the Royal Navy in WW2 and was a keen amateur yachtsman subsequently.

He wrote a trilogy called To the Ends of the Earth, all about a sea voyage. The books are:
>Rites of Passage
>Close Quarters
>Fire Down Below

Also, the opening scene of Pincher Martin is the best description ever of falling into the sea when your ship gets torpedoed.
(After that the hero spends all his time sitting alone on a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic so there is some sea but not that much; it's more rocks and seaweed and gulls and starving to death and going mad.)

Two very good non-fiction books:-

>Kon-Tiki
by Thor Heyerdahl
Some mad Norwegian who decided to sail across the Pacific in a balsa-wood raft to prove that Polynesia could have been settled by people from South America

>The Lonely Sea And The Sky
Francis Chichester was the first man to sail single-handed round the world. Why did he do it? Well, because he was mad, obviously.

By the Open Sea - Strindberg

Any story which is set inside a big storm?

>I want books about the sea
>Just kidding I want books that are set on the sea or have it in the title so I can LARP as a sailor

I refer you to my post above (Conrad, "Typhoon").

To the Lightouse, sorta

We should make a chart of this.