It's a good book. It really is

It's a good book. It really is.

it's a classic for a reason

It really is.

not life changing but salinger really did carefully structure this novel.

Today, I saw one of those phony intellect literary guys. It really bugged me, it really did. I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. All these phonys do is read books that they don't want to read to look smarter. Blow my goddamned brain out if that happens.

It really does.

Goddamn.

Not to say I would really do it but I think I would feel kinda depressed

Its a shit book.

It really is.

it really is

Childhood is liking CITR. Adulthood is hating CITR. Maturity is acknowledging and loving CITR for the masterpiece it is.

Its an excellent book, a measure of being a crypto-normie is how much spite one can muster against Holden the very image of a pure youthful rebellion.

Nice.

As a euro I really don't get why burgers hate Holden so much. I know you guys like to reduce him to a whiny teenager and hate the projected image, I don't understand why would you even hate a not dumb reflecting one. Or you don't get your own teenagehood? Or is it self hatred?

>self-entitled and arrogant kid
>rapes his younger sister Phoebe
yeah, nothing to hate about the guy

>not mentioning that Holden was raped before by his teacher
This book is basically an explanation to “The Rapings” of the 1930’s and an explanation of human behavior in a very rousseanian way. We rape because someone raped us and that someone was raped before ad infinitum

>>rapes his younger sister Phoebe
This the dumbest fucking meme, the premise doesn't even make sense.

It's a great book that only retards dislike.

he didn't sexually assault his sister you fucking idiot, its implied he was molested by school teachers though. he had a weird borderline romantic infatuation with his sister and seemed attached to the idea of childhood he was not a fucking rapist. Stop spreading this stupid fucking meme

if you are a pleb that can't read subtext
Holden is an unreliable narrator, he clearly avoids the thing, but there are a lot of freudian slips or sudden changes of subject that imply that a lot, through all the book

Could be that he doesn't want to tell about it. But for me the teacher just tried something and he left. The scene is very well detailed and make the teacher's intentions clear (in contrast with his omissions when it comes to Phoebe).

Anyone who dislikes Holden is a brainlet. This book is like those old water filters, and it acts as the first layer of blocking plebs.

>the Teacher isn't the catalyst for Holden's reflection on sexual assault
>Holden definitely did the bad thing
wow I wonder where this is coming from, the boy can't be assaulted by men in power over him but he definitely attacked his sister. lol you fucking hateful faggot

Ok, I had to download a copy of the book cause clearly the level of plebness in Veeky Forums has skyrocketed in the past years.

So, let's go.

Some Freudian slips or language that implies it:

1) "I couldn't wait to get to the park to see if old Phoebe was around so that I could give it to her."

2) In the middle of a scene otherwise completely unrelated to Phoebe "I started thinking how old Phoebe would feel if I got pneumonia and died. It was a childish way to think, but I couldn't stop myself. She'd feel pretty bad if something like that happened. SHE LIKES ME A LOT. I MEAN SHE'S QUITE FOND OF ME. SHE REALLY IS Anyway, I couldn't get that off my mind, so finally what I figured I'd do, I figured I'd better sneak home and see her, in case I died and all." By this time, Holden asserts he isn't even drunk or tired before, but this is some frighteningly drunken/tired logic he's displaying, unless, of course, he had other reasons for going to see Phoebe.

3) "...I figured that if I didn't bump smack into my parents and all I'd be able to SAY HELLO TO OLD PHOEBE AND THEN BEAT IT and nobody'd even know I'd been around."
(I'm pretty sure you guys know what "beat it" is a slang for)

4) "She says she likes to spread out. That kills me. What'd old Phoebe got to spread out? Nothing." You should all know, being literate, that "nothing" is Shakespearean slang for vagina. This would be a stretch unless there was a previous Shakespeare reference in the book... remember the nuns?
Also Sallinger was known as a very big Shakespeare fan and Franny and Zooey has a lot of shakespeare references.

NOW, even if you don't want to accept that, these sentences still have some blatantly suggestive overtones:

"I mean Phoebe always has some dress on that can kill you."

"She's very affectionate. I mean she's quite affectionate, for a child. Sometimes she's even -too- affectionate."

"I noticed she had this big hunk of adhesive tape on her elbow. The reason I noticed it, her pajamas didn't have any sleeves." Seems like some unnecessary detail.

"Then, just for the hell of it, I gave her a pinch on the behind. It was sticking way out in the breeze, the way she was laying on her side. She has hardly any behind. I didn't do it hard, but she tried to hit my hand anyway. She missed. Then all of a sudden, she said, 'Oh, why did you -do- it?' She meant why did I get the ax again. It made me sort of sad, the way she said it."

This is all I got from a brief skim through the book, but it happens all over the place. And he doesn't use this kind of language and overtones anywhere else when he's speaking about other people, just Phoebe. Not even Sally. These kind of freudian slips are pretty much only about Phoebe as well (only other place it happens is regarding he also being molested, coincidence?).

So Salinger made Holden molest his sister because he was molested?

You sir are an assclown.
"Nothing means vagina".....
Eh, nothing means nothing also....
For example ; there is nothing of interest to be found in this dreadful book.
REEEEEEE
"Freudian slips"....
Im gonna freudian slip my fat dick into your nothing......

i read this in 10th grade and I don't recall anything about rape? that was almost 20 years ago though

I'm sure his teacher tried to start something when he was sleeping in the couch after he went visit Phoebe. And it was implied he has trauma coming from stuff other then the boy who jumped with his sweater or something.

It really is.

goddam

I understand it's quality
I don't however enjoy it.

it isn't mentioned, but is heavily implied
also virtually in every chapter there are a lot of points in the narrative that seem very unreliable on purpose, like the author is pushing you to read Holden more aggressively as an unreliable narrator. and if you read it like that, it's pretty obvious that the way he talks about phoebe (and some slips) are pretty strange

I bet you think Humbert "truly" loved Lolita as well, amirite?

easy on the it really is, OP