Hey guys, today ive finished this underrated gem called 1984 and holy fucking shit

hey guys, today ive finished this underrated gem called 1984 and holy fucking shit,

Other urls found in this thread:

newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>underrated
everyone and their mom has read that book
read BNW instead

t. pewdiepie

Apparently in some survey recently, 1984 was #1 "book that people say they have read when in fact they haven't".
I was very surprised to read that, because I honestly thought everyone HAD read it.

you only think everyone read it because we all lied about it

>1984 was #1 "book that people say they have read when in fact they haven't".
Thats some good irony right there.

H U G E O R S O N W E L L E S

Not posting
>hey guys, today ive finished this underrated gem called 1984 and holy . . . . . i want more

Ahaha I fucking love the scene where it says "Big brother is watching you"

I thought this was Divine Comedy

I didn't read it for the longest time because I didn't want to be like those assholes that always reference it in political conversations. I read it and now I'm regularly making comparisons to Newspeak. Fuck me.

No user you are mistaken. There is no book titled "1984".

this book gave me a boner

No user YOU are mistaken. The book is titled “1894”.

Have you noticed that 1984 parallels the modern world?

I'm reading this for the first time right now and I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. I'm now at the part where he's reading the book that the guy gave him and it's unironically the best section of the book. The first section was intriguing but the second part of the book almost entirely focuses on a boring relationship.

I would much rather be reading more details about the workings of this society instead of two boring characters having a meaningless, bland relationship.
The commentary is painfully on the nose sometimes too (though that's by today's standards, I'm sure in 1948 is was pretty groundbreaking)

I hope the third section of this book makes it better.

I felt the same way while reading it. You'll probably like the last part.

newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm
Asimov BTFOing 1984

As of just last week "1984" has ceased to exist. It never existed. Orwell you say? Who might that be?

That's slightly triggering.

I only read like half of it, couldn't get through that political manifesto of whoever and whatever. Nothing of what I'd read had impressed or interested me the slightest.

You gave up on it right when it was about to get good.

In what way? Don't be afraid to spoil the plot.

Its revealed that the shop owner the guy that gave him the book is the thought police and they take Winston in for brainwashing. That's the interesting part because they really get into the philosophy and purpose of the party in the process of making Winston love Big Brother.

How predictable. Maybe I'll skim it, see if it's worth the time to read.

Why are you pretending to be a redditor?

Found this book by massive coincidence. Read it last year. Absolutely loved everything it had to say about society, about freedom, about government. The work of literature which has influenced me most.

it's one of the best books to start on for kids who are like 14-15

someone more talented than me should write a book called 4891, part 1 chronicle how the world progressed from the reality of 1984, the nations destroyed each other and then became 1, and morphed into the world of brave new world and then the unraveling of that society in part 2

Read this book when I was 13, really liked it but it fed my fear of rats big time

even if it can be a bit predictable, that is only because this book influenced so many others.

Well yeah of course it's predictable. The story isn't trying to trick you.

A classic novel like Handmaid’s Tale really prescient with regard to Brexit andTrump woahhhh

more like nineteen gayty four

I'm guilty of it. Have read maybe half of it when I was very young, know the rest, always say that I've read it in full.

I remember the post you’re referencing
Good job user

>How predictable
Bet youre a "movie buff" brainlet.

It's literally an example of a book which gets better and better and culminates at the end.
Fix your mistake.

I started reading that book years ago, then got to the part almost halfway through the book where for seemingly 40+ pages the character reads from a history book. I couldn't continue, I was too impatient. So many pages dedicated to a book within a book wtf. I'll try again at some point.

Oh shit, you're just like me. See

Road to wigan pier is more based.

i did the same thing when I was in highschool, but then reread it years later and was blown away. the ending is gnarly

unironically never read this

underrated bait

Many years ago someone gave me an advice when I asked him "which books I should read first?", and I was told to read "the ones I claim I read already".

People are always surprised how it's not in prose and drop it by the second page.

How do you mean it's not in prose?

>It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.

>The hallway smelt of boiled cabbage and old rag mats. At one end of it a coloured poster, too large for indoor display, had been tacked to the wall. It depicted simply an enormous face, more than a metre wide: the face of a man of about forty-five, with a heavy black moustache and ruggedly handsome features. Winston made for the stairs. It was no use trying the lift. Even at the best of times it was seldom working, and at present the electric current was cut off during daylight hours. It was part of the economy drive in preparation for Hate Week. The flat was seven flights up, and Winston, who was thirty-nine and had a varicose ulcer above his right ankle, went slowly, resting several times on the way. On each landing, opposite the lift-shaft, the poster with the enormous face gazed from the wall. It was one of those pictures which are so contrived that the eyes follow you about when you move. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING
YOU, the caption beneath it ran.

>tips fedora

I don't remember a Big Brother in the Divine Comedy.

Coming back to this book was weird for me because I focused way more on who Winston was as a human being rather than the dystopia aspect. Made me realize how good of a novel 1984 actually is.

>underrated
LUL

Don't bother. You are clearly not part of the book's target audience.

I’m surprised to read that, because I say “no way, I’ve read 1984” as a punchline to suspicion with friends a million times and I’ve never read it, yet