In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Snape asks Harry many questions during his first Potions class...

In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Snape asks Harry many questions during his first Potions class. The first thing Snape asks Harry is
>“Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?”
According to Victorian Flower Language, asphodel is a type of lily meaning ‘My regrets follow you to the grave’ and wormwood means ‘absence’ and also typically symbolized bitter sorrow. If you combined that, it meant ‘I bitterly regret Lily’s death’.But was this intentional?
I know it seems like a too-good-to-be-true coincidence, but I need confirmation.

>too-good-to-be-true coincidence
Why?Seems like something she could come up with. If she really wanted to make Snape to be a total dick during the first lesson she could have let him ask for way more complicated things.

>Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Uh, I think you mean Sorcerer's Stone.

Did you know that fire burns?

>burgers can't into phi
Explains why there has never been an American philosopher

Rowling is a learned lady. She may write for children and plebs but she's no dummy.

>Who is Henry Thoreau

Americans care about philosophy, just philosophy that actually has a practical use. Closeted homosexuals playing language games in the ivory tower need not apply.

Thus American "philosophers" are closer to scientists, like Tesla and,Feynman, or they at least have a scientific background, like Harris and Chomsky

>Harris and Chomsky
>"philosophers"
BAAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... *breathes*..... BAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

That's actually a pretty sweet foreshadow.

I find it extremely creepy that Snapes motivation throughout the entire series was the fact he couldn't get over his high school crush. Seriously, he's a guy in his late 30s still listening to Linkin Park over a 17 year old girl who rejected him. Let it go dude.

American here, I can't believe you unironically brought up Harris and Chomsky to defend our nation. You sicken me.

Analytic philosophy is pretty much exactly an elitist, ivory tower activity. Who are you kidding? It's so academic that most people don't give a single shit.

It could be, but it doesn't have to be intentional.

AH KIDS YOU NEVER GROW UP
CHOMSKY IS THE GREATEST PHILOSPHER THERE IS

Sam Harris is a worthless meme that won't be remembered 30 years from now. I would rather listen to a closeted homosexual than that hack.

>Ralph Waldo Emerson

eh

Holy shit you disgrace America bringing them up. William James is a real philosopher

>Putting Harris anywhere near the same boat as Chomsky

I don't really like Chomsky's views on human nature, even though he was a big high school hero for me. I really doubt anyone here actually knows what he thinks of human nature or who he's influenced by. desu.

>Americans care about philosophy, just philosophy that actually has a practical use.

so... Americans don't care about philosophy?

Jew K Rowling had the "Snape is Harry's mom's cuckolded ex-bf" card from the start.

Thank G()d, philosophy is gay.

Great keyboardist, didn’t know he philosophed too

Are you genuinely implying it’s Sorcerer in America because we can’t pronounce “philosopher” or “phi”?

Ha. Ha. Who is Charles Sanders Pierce?

Apart from Johnson and Hazlitt, the best literary critics are either from America or well assimilated.

>Bad guy is named Lucifer
You guys give Jk. more credit than she deserves.

>mfw I see "Harris and Chomsky"