Death and reading speed

Not an hourly fagpost, but on a yearly basis, what's the minimum you should expect to get through?

I reckon I read 30 - 80 pages a day depending on complexity, translation / original, how recent it is (apparently John Evelyn only read contemporary books because they are quicker to read so he covered more ground... lol) and so on.

I reckon I can get through 40 - 50 books a year. Assuming I live to life expectancy, in my early twenties that gives me around 60 years. That's 3000 books give or take. Sounds like a lot, but is only 500 a decade.

Is this enough to become well read? What does that even mean?

Wouldn't it be better to combine a full reading history with still being young and strong? Is education the best provision for old age, or would it actually be better now but noone can achieve it?

Is this just a waste of time to think about?

Should I really be reading Evola when I haven't read Plato? Should I be reading Huxley at all?

Well your reading speed should increase drastically if you read every day

To what though? I found when I was an early teen it was much quicker, easier to blot out distraction and really lose myself. Now I struggle to really get into the flow in the same way, can still bang out 60 pages an hour but its not as immersive. Maybe I am just skewing more towards non fiction in my old age, don't have the same trouble with poetry

But you look like a cunt reading poetry on the train, which is my main reading time

>caring what people on the train think of you

Joking aside. If you like to read poetry, read poetry.

Eventually you'll come to recognize different styles and become more acclimated to certain translations and authors. Reading Homage To Catalonia by Orwell after reading War and Peace by Tolstoy was something of a delight, (especially because I was familiar with Orwell) and to be honest a completely a different experience.

Your concerns are futile and pointless.
When you're dead, you're not going to be here to count how many pages you read in your lifetime.
Read the book you need to read at a given moment, and read it well.

I just realized I don't like reading
or more to the point, I've become extremely picky with what I read and would rather not stick to something that can't stick with me past the first page

and I'm in Creative Writing even...

reading speed should increase to about 50-100 pages an hour, you should be reading about 1-3 hours a day. If you can't manage 2 hours a day you're a subhuman, so anywhere from 150-200 pages a day should be covered by an experienced reader. Which equates to 54,000 pages a year, which is probably something like 100-200 books a year. Which would mean in one decade alone you should have read over a thousand texts (lets say from 22 to 32 years old). There are a number of people who read more than this though. And you would be unbelievably well read from just one decade of this kind of intake. You could cover the whole Western Canon, most major philosophical works, most major modern and post-modern works, and a huge number of essays, poems and scientific texts doing this

People on the train don't give a fuck about you. They didn't notice what you were reading. They didn't notice that you were reading. They didn't notice that you were even there. Except for me, of course.

OK. Don't read what you don't like

I don't think this deserves it's own thread or anything, so I'll ask here. For those of you that are pretty busy generally speaking, what are some activities you've found you can minimize or automate in order to allow more time for reading?

easy:
no Veeky Forums
no fap

whatever time-consuming activities you have, pinpoint them for yourself and decide whether it's worth doing still

>Is this enough to become well read? What does that even mean?
Well-read does not merely mean that you have read a large quantity of books. It really means that you UNDERSTAND many books. Reading and rereading a few select high-quality books so that you really understand them is better than reading thousands of books superficially.

whenever i quit bad habits other bad habits just fill that space, like when i quit Veeky Forums i just do some other time wasting shit

>no Veeky Forums
How. FUCKING how???? This place is literally cocaine for me.

decide whether it's worth doing still
if you prioritize it, then you obviously care about that more than reading

tried to make me go to rehab
and I said no, no, no

well hey, you asked
refer to my previous statement too

I read about 30 pages in an hour or so desu, is this alright?

50-100 pages an hour
What the fuck dude? I barely get 45/hour when reading easy shit like 1984. Are there people who legitimately read that fast?

is this you?

this is surreal. you surely aren't larping or anything?

45 per hour for something like 1984 is not much (easy language, linear storyline etc.). But reading philosophy and science at 100 pages per hour is not realistic either (especially when taking notes).

am I a brainlet?

>t. doesn't actually read

Reading a lot does not mean becoming well-read.
Plato and Evola and Huxley are all worthless. The majority of writing is not worth any time, including the majority of 'praised' or 'canon' writing.

>reading speed should increase to about 50-100 pages an hour,
Nope. Stop speedreading, you adolescent retard.
>muh western canon
Holy shit just die now

Had the same problem, found that it was mostly due to the sort of mindless internet browsing it's so easy to slip into. Once I started stopping myself from doing that my concentration greatly increased

Don't worry OP, it just took me 2 hours to read a single 25-page chapter of the Iliad because I keep getting distracted and thinking about random shit. I am the brainlet.

There is a test you can take on reading speed AND comprehension. There are people that can read at incredible speeds and retain 99% of the information they gathered. These are people we call geniuses and most of them end up in big Veeky Forums colleges like Harvard and Brown. This doesnt mean they are any more creative than you, or that they actually understand what is going on better than you.

Your reading skills will change over time. The more you read the more you will slip into the mindset of holding your concentration and getting more out of the material.

100 pages an hour is hardly speed reading

Reading a lot means well read. The more you read the better you get at reading comprehension and thus able to tackle harder subjects. Plato is an absolute must, and you can spot people that skipped him and Aristotle in Philosophy departments.

You should really aim for 100+ books a year. Bloom's canon has 2400 entries. If you were to read most of those, plus secondary texts, plus a similar number of non-fiction works, you'd be looking at 5000+ books. How well read can you call yourself when you've only read 500 books by age 30? 1500 books by age 50?

I read about 200 pages a day and I can push it to 300 if I'm really into the book.
I don't think I read very fast, either. Not slow, but nothing impressive.

Agreed this is my main and worst fear. Has Veeky Forums and YouTube made me a short team reader incapable of immersion. I prefer reading essays... wtf is happening...

Well this is another interesting point I think especially if you write you need to be careful what you consume - if you feel your head with shit your own style with disintegrate

Trains is a useful one, the other good idea is getting up an hour earlier to read. If you have a job that uses lots of energy evenings can be a struggle, so use your commute and your mornings. Or sneak off in your lunch break.

>But you look like a cunt reading poetry on the train, which is my main reading time

bugs..

Are you handsome and waif? It looks attractive to read poetry in public if you look like that

>Well your reading speed should increase drastically if you read every day
I've been reading 6-10 hours a day for the past year and I still read at 10-15 pages an hour

Are you extremely thorough though? Some books are to be chewed and digested and all that?

This. I do not understand the obsession with "reading" as many books as you can, as if collecting trophies for display. What is the point of having read a book when you do not genuinely understand or remember any of it? To flaunt some sort of pseudointellectuality? Ha! Do not even try talking to me unless you have read these few hundred books. Nevermind that I have forgotten all of their contents.
There are so many anons here who have claimed to have read countless books on philosophy, when in actuality their understanding of a thousand page book can be entirely summed up in a single sentence. This is especially true when books are consumed so hastily; no time is spent writing notes or contemplating and analysing contents in the rush to add the next book to your collection. You might as well just read the summary on the back cover if you are going to have such a superficial understanding. In addition, it takes a tremendous amount of dissonance and egotism to believe that the entire intellectual works of historic philosophers can be so easily distilled and dismissed.
Sure, there are subconscious benefits to reading and all that, especially in the case of fiction. The usual spiel about how it deepens your empathy and understanding of the world. I imagine these benefits are also similarly enhanced by a more careful and analytical reading.

>100 pages an hour is hardly speed reading
Yes it is. Reading 20 pages in an hour is speed reading. Your stupidity makes this evident.
>The more you read the better you get at reading comprehension and thus able to tackle harder subjects.
Not the case for you, clearly.
>Plato is an absolute must
Nope, fuck off, Platonist subhuman.

Nope. I read more than you and my reading pace is still very slow.

Thanks, I didn't mean ticking books of in a shallow way because you "have to", but I mean properly reading as you refer to

Define "worthless".

edgy mcignorantangryteen

this might sound weird but are you transitioning, male > female?

That's why you read secondary, if not even "tertiary", sources. Assuming we're talking about nonfiction.
Like the "A New History of Western Philosophy", then maybe read from whomever you find most interesting. And essays/reviews/critique of works. You found the essence of the essay really profound? The book/people it talks about.
For one needs to cultivate other things and knowledge—culinary, fitness, survivalist, discipline, social, family, art and music, all things beautiful, and your own creations.

Go back to plebbit

counting pages read or books read is retarded. you should be focusing on ideas and how well you've integrated them.

when I read philosophy papers for seminars I average 10 pages an hour. I highlight, take notes, and read the same paragraph aloud 5 times when I don't fully understand.

there's no such thing as being well read. focus on ideas and their impact on your world view. pursue what you find meaningful, and realize that you might be into some weird shit, so don't be surprised or try to ignore what you find meaningful.

make the ideas your own. the dude who wrote that book was consumed by these ideas, you're just reading them. it's like chugging fine wine. take these ideas and try to find out why the fuck someone got so consumed by them that they wrote these hundreds of pages on them.

contextualize these ideas in history. criticise them, especially if you agree with them. talk to other people about them. try to convince someone who doesn't care, that they should. dumb the idea down. shorten it. see how you damaged it? now try shortening it without damaging it.

do that with 1 book and you'll be "well-read" as far as I'm concerned.

>find out why the fuck someone got so consumed by them that they wrote these hundreds of pages on them.
Academic prestige.

>if random normie shit yes
>if deeply thinking about the themes and there relation to the broader world then no

Why do you need to be well read when you'll be dead anyway?

Is it just to be able to tell people you're well read?

What a waste of life.

do you people really spend that much time jacking off? i mean i masturbate basically every day sometimes twice a day like a normal individual but it’s like. 5 minutes MAX right before i fall asleep and sometimes right before getting up in the morning. like how is masturbation consuming this much of your time?

legitimately this is such a bizarre thing i see all the time on this website like nofap is going to open up so much freetime for you fags. how the fuck are you spending that much time just on jacking off? truly mindboggling.

>That's 3000 books give or take.
That's a fuckload of books, user.

There are only a couple hundred books really worth reading anyway.

Amy Wienerhosen pls go

no?

How do you make the time for that much reading?

dude getting off is for boomers, millenials are all about edging, i fapped for like 6 hours once, shit was great, busted a mindblowing nut at the end too, but now i try to only take an hour max, like the same amount of time as if i had gone to work out at the gym or watch an episode of a tv show

>It is a great mistake for a young samurai to learn about Buddhism. The reason is that he will see things in two ways. A person who does not set himself in just one direction will be of no value at all. It is fine for retired old men to learn about Buddhism as a diversion, but if a warrior makes loyalty and filial piety one load, and courage and compassion another, and carries these twenty-four hours a day until his shoulders wear out, he will be a samurai.

>After reading books and the like, it is best to burn them or throw them away. It is said that reading books is the work of the Imperial Court, but the work of the House of Nakano is found in military valor, grasping the staff of oak. A samurai with no horse is not a samurai at all.

Because it integrates you into life more fully. To understand and grasp many ideas and ways of viewing the world gives your lived "active" life more meaning and allows you to interpret events and situations through more references.

I question how much you actually read if you think the point is to tell people about it...

Short faps = short dick

>I do not understand the obsession with "reading" as many books as you can
Because there are more books that I want to read than I perceive I have the time for. I'm not reading for intellectual posturing, I don't give a fuck about arguing with nerds on the Internet or becoming some sort of scholar, nor do I invite people to my house as if I wanted to "show off" my stacks to people. I genuinely just want to experience all of these great (however time-consuming) things and the more that I read, the more I end up wanting to read: in the case of non-fiction because of all the interesting sounding citations, and in the case of fiction because there are so many classics and I really want to see what all of them are about. Sure I might just be trying to get notches under my belt, but it's for actual, sincere enjoyment.

This may or may not answer your question.

this can't be healthy

>counting pages read or books read is retarded. you should be focusing on ideas and how well you've integrated them.
I can only read 10-15 pages of a novel in an hour. So I don't mean ideas, I just mean reading sentences and then figuring out things later.