What is the best European literary nation after England, France, Germany and Russia, and why is it Romania?

What is the best European literary nation after England, France, Germany and Russia, and why is it Romania?

Other urls found in this thread:

romanianvoice.com/poezii/balade/toma_alimos.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

POORmania, more like.

That's not how you spell Itlay...

>England, France, Germany and Russia
You forget Italy.

The highest tier belongs to Russia and Romania quite simply because the highest levels of theosis are attainable only in Orthodoxy in which the Logos is clearly seen in creation, direct vision of God, theoria. The logoi thus revealed in Divine communion with Christ, the author effortlessly transcribes not the observation of life, nature only, but the very essences.

>Dante, Petrarch, Eco, Calvino, Pavese, Pasolini, maybe d'Annunzio
>literally it (lol ferrante)

Ireland's still in Europe

Still better than Germany

Spain
Italy
Poland

Hungary

If you're going to bait at least pick a country whose people might try to agree with you

neithers that mate

Greece, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Norway, Czechia, Austria the list could go on.

OFFICIAL Veeky Forums EUROPEAN LIT POWER RANKINGS
1. France
2. Ireland
3. Russia
4. England
5. Italy
6. Germany
7. Greece
8. Spain
9. Argentina
10. Austria

One of these things

Hum... Spain?

Austria exists, you know...

(not counting the classical times)
Russia
France
Germany
Italy
Spain
Austria
all the others are not really worth mentioning on the same page as these

I don't know. Ionesco, Cioran, Eliade all come quickly to mind. Can I get three more?

Ireland

none of them wrote in romanian anyways
this country has trash lit for the most part, dont even bother
t. romanian

>1. France
>6. Germany
gut köder mein genosse

I disagree, there are some great classics, but there hasn't been anything good at all in 50 years.

>France above Ireland
lel

>who is Eco

All are famous because they wrote their most famous works in more mainstream languages like said. There is little interest in studying Romanian because it's difficult, not widely spoken and most Romanians with an intellectual bent will speak French, Italian, German or English. I think its geographical position in Europe and its inconsistent history of political alliances have marginalised it too.

That's a fair statement. The only truly briliant contemporary Romanian writer, I'd say, is Cărtărescu. Orbitor is a masterpiece. If it had been written in English, French or German, Cărtărescu would be winning international prizes. The fact that he's a white European male doesn't help his case. The Vegetarian by Han Kang is a pretty mediocre novel but because it's about "the perspective of a woman of colour challenging the patriarchy in a different culture" it won the Booker International prize.

>1. Ireland
>2. France
>3. Spain
>4. Italy
>5. Russia
>6. Poland
>7. Germany
>8. Greece
>9. Romania
>10. Portugal

>This is what Romanians actually believe

Post Romanian poems:

I do not crush the world's corolla of wonders
and do not kill
with my mind the mysteries, which I meet
on my way
in flowers, in eyes, on lips or tombs.
The other light
strangles the spell of the unpenetrated, hidden
in the depths of darkness
but I,
I with my light increase the secret of the world –
exactly as with her white rays the moon
does not diminish, but trembling
greatens and gardens the mystery of the night,
such as enrich do I the dark horizon
with great shivers of holy mystery
and all that is not understood
becomes misunderstood, and greater
beneath my eyes –
for I love
flowers and eyes and lips and tombs.

not a poem but here you go
romanianvoice.com/poezii/balade/toma_alimos.php

I can't speak for Cărtărescu's novels, but his poetry is atrocious.

>avere solo un buon poeta dopo Alighieri e Petrarca

You know you're on shaky ground (come Pisa?) when you feel insecure about some Moldavian peasants writing better poems than you.

A matter of taste. I'm not particularly fond of his poetry, I prefer formal verse with a distinct metric, but given how much this board likes Pynchon and Gaddis, Cărtărescu's Blinding seems a natural fit. Are you the same user from that Romanian lit thread last year that said he didn't like Arghezi?

>Post Romanian poems:
OK!

Mai-ia-hii

mai-ia-huu
mai-ia-haa
mai-ia-ha ha
Mai-ia-hii
mai-ia-huu
mai-ia-haa
mai-ia-ha ha
Mai-ia-hii
mai-ia-huu
mai-ia-haa
mai-ia-ha ha
Mai-ia-hii
mai-ia-huu
ma-ia-haa
ma-ia-ha ha

You know that the song's title translates as "Love from the linden trees"?

>avere solo un buon poeta dopo Alighieri e Petrarca
>this is what I miei connazionali actually believe

I don't think so. He seems to have a large amount of mediocre output every year, and it wouldn't be too unfair to compare Blinding to Moore's Jerusalem, which was written in English and isn't a contender for prizes.

Even the Scandinavian countries rank higher than Romania

>Argentina
;)

It's Czech, so many influential books translated in so many languages come from Czech. The use of the word Robot was coined there, one of the most known military satire's in history comes from there, the oldest slavic folklore and music that survives today is from there, not to mention that political and cultural movements that sometimes altered the shape of Europe have come from there.