/sffG/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Science fantasy edition

>Do you like science fantasy?
>What is your favorite science fantasy work?
>What are some science fantasy books you'd recommend?
>What is the best blend of magic and technology you've found in fiction?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfHPLovecraft_201412
youtube.com/watch?v=aFZrqYn5f_0
goodreads.com/book/show/28876.His_Majesty_s_Dragon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Sanderson-sama

APOLOGIZE

This is last or second to last thread before deadline, time to finish the story and start thinking about nominations for next round.

Read online: www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx
E-book: archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfHPLovecraft_201412 (including like 30 additional stories)
Audio: youtube.com/watch?v=aFZrqYn5f_0

Is this the capeshit thread?

Fagoot
i was gonna make an anti-litrpg thread

double-posting from the previous thread, kill me please.

fuckin hell I finished the Prince of Nothing trilogy last night. The first book was a MAJOR slog but by the end the characters, settings and themes really grew on me. Looking forward to the Aspect-Emperor trilogy. Questions/discussion follows:

What's Bakker getting at with these books? I know he's a big Veeky Forumstard, having ABD'd in analytic philosophy or somethin.
Is the big theme the fact that we (humans/man) are not free but instead driven by our desires/genes/customs/the atoms that make us up? Am I supposed to read this book as materialistic (and probably nihilistic)?

Obviously Kellhus is privy to all this knowledge, so I'm not sure what he represents. Seems like he's the guy that DID finish his dissertation in philosophy and has all the answers. Cnair is "woke". The Consult/Inchoroi are just another extension of humanity (except they are REALLY driven by sex..hints to Freud?)

What did you guys get out of it? How does the Aspect-Emperor series of books compare?

>>What is your favorite science fantasy work?
Lord of Light full stop accept no substitutes

Well you might want to finish Aspect Emperor before speculating or getting too married to these ideas, but yes the nature of free will and knowledge is one of the big themes. The other, which is touched on lightly in Prince of Nothing and more heavily in Aspect Emperor, is the old question "Is Good innately Good, or just because God wills it?"

Also Kellhus, mad or not? Was Moenghus right?

The Consult are the ultimate extension of one fully materialistic route of progress of humanity. Utterly hedonistic and driven by sensation. The Dunyain are the opposite pole. Still materialistic, but driven entirely by logic divorced from most natural urges.

A-anything about knights?

@ the user who was hating on Christian Cameron for writing domineering women, can you give some examples? I haven't noticed this.

>making hinduism great again.jpg
Are you, by chance, a poo in the loo?

>What is your favorite science fantasy work?
Hyperion, no contest

Am I a pleb for liking The Deed of Paks?

No, Vedic Brahmanism is just kinda neat.

LitRPG is fun, you should all try it. Just like normal books, there are good and bad LitRPG.
Super Sales and Daniel Black are two of the good ones.

Welp, time to get started I guess.

The mum in the Red Knight who encourages her sons to bully each other and a romance that ignores him.
The drunkard mum in Marathon shuns her sons, doesn't give a shit that one is killed and another enslaved. The love interest has him whipped when he is her family's slave, knocks him unconscious a few names, and is generally an all round dickhead.
Then in Tyrant the female protagonist abandons her infant son to run off and become some nomadic warrior queen.

There's probably more, but I tend to drop his shit.

So I just finished playing Subnautica and am heavily lusting after stories (both sci-fi and fantasy) involving being stranded or exploring strange lands/planets.

Last books to give me these feels have been the New Sun and Endymion/Hyperion.

Could I get any recs for that?
Thanks.

Annihilation maybe?

>didn't listen to me when I said to avoid his books
>could have stopped at red Knight
>ended up reading a bunch of others

>Annihilation
VanderMeer?

desu the only reason I persevered with the Red Knight was because of the (not) Byzantine Empire they go to

Any readable Magical Realism/Historical Fantasy? I don't care if it's pretentious or has GRI or anything. If it's for the lowest common denominator I'm probably going to like it. Just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks

Alternatively, non-european/russian fairy tales

Yeah, just don't expect a classic like New Sun if that's what you're looking for. It's more of a thrill ride that you enjoy in the moment but ultimately forget

Temeraire if you want low-brow Napoleonic Wars with dragons

No, no. Looking exactly for that thrill, New Sun was just an example of a strange world.

>Napoleonic Wars with dragons
lmao it's real goodreads.com/book/show/28876.His_Majesty_s_Dragon

>Magical Realism/Historical Fantasy
Define this

Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles might be what you're looking for.

>science fantasy
wtf does this even mean?
dragons and rayguns?
robots and faeries?
knights with ipads?

Saddest fantasy book you've ever read fellas?

all those things are science fantasy, but there's usually a bit more nuance to it than that. Either the lines are blurred sufficiently that the distinction doesn't matter (e.g. sufficiently advanced technology, lovecraftian horror) or the science is so bullshit that it's basically fantasy (Doctor Who)

However, there is an entirely separate classification I refer to as "Hard Science Fantasy" which basically amounts to thorough integration of science and magic on a metaphysical level. Obviously this is a really high bar to set so instead science fantasy is usually roped in as long as it expresses awareness of the science it's violating (e.g. His Dark Materials, Discworld)

Normally it means historical fiction but there's at least a little bit of magic present in the setting. It doesn't rewrite history the way Alternative History does, and the fantastic element doesn't have to be significant, with some examples being subtle enough that the book isn't even put in the fantasy section. In all cases though a recurring theme is that fantasy element isn't the center of the A-plot. Ultimately it has to be about people living their lives and magic just happens to be there

Not so much a book as a short story but The Paper Menagerie. No written thing has ever brought me closer to crying

first for splitting into two generals, one for sci-fi, one for fantasy

What the hell is a LitRPG?

We did that years ago and scifi crawled back begging us to let them in again.

Western version of anime / light novel.

I'd never heard this term before. How does anime even work in book form? Is it basically just Wheel of Time?

That actually happened once. Sci-fi peeps insisted on having their own threads, but they collapsed within a week and just came back here. Fantasy bros didn't even notice they were gone.

I swear to god this board has existed for all of two years. Hmm, ah well. I read sci-fi now but never cared much for fantasy. Maybe sci-fi bros were just poorly led then.

shit. this is two days away. time to speed read

>the science virgin
>the chad fantasist

>have actually successfully written a novel
>all I feel is failure because I haven't successfully written a homestuck knockoff

what the fuck is wrong with me?

Six Expressions of Death, Gemmell's Troy trilogy, Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles

kek

Kek

Vorrh

>White Sand vol. 2 out today
>can't find a rip anywhere
:-(

THEY'RE IN THE GAME!!!

Generally portal fantasy plus explicit gamification, like numerical stats and leveling up. Guardians of the Flame was an early hybrid, crossing explicitly to a game world but no stats on the other side (the first few are good). Try Drew Hayes's NPCs for a sincere and harmless modern version, JA Cipriano's Legendary Builder series for angel / succubus harem fantasies with game elements. There's a wide range out there but it's all from the deep end of the schlock pool at this point.

People actually write this shit?

They can churn out a book every month or two. I love it -- it's the new pulp era.

I can't decide whether to finish Baxter's Manifolds, begin the Annihilation series, or just read this old paperback of Armor I picked up

I'll bump this for ya. I need more medieval fantasy adventure stories

Fuck me, a good hardcover copy of Hyperion would cost me 300 - 500 hundred bones.

add and remove stuff.

Where's the GRI category?

any more chill stuff that's closer to the turn of the century?

How far into the Manifolds are you? I read the first two; heard the third wasn't that great--and the premise didn't sound too much like what I would enjoy anyhow.

Join the Veeky Forums water margin reading group. Threads are on Fridays, this Friday at chapter 35

What does /sffg/ think of The Expanse? I'm halfway into Babylon's Ashes and really enjoying the series.
>mfw the plot went full Gundam in book 5
I'd really like to see how the show adapts all of the shenanigans that Alex and Bobbie's pull with the Razorback, but that's probably like 4 years away at the least.

Webnovels are novels too

Just "Time" so far. It was more of a struggle than I thought. I felt like it ran out of steam. Maybe I'm just so jaded that hopping through proto-universes is old-hat.

I'm trying to start reading the Foundation series, made it to part three of book one and I'm struggling to keep going. It's a whole lot of people talking about things happening/things that have happened and not a whole lot of things happening.
Think I'm going to abandon it, sadly.

What should I read first?
Hyperion or shadow of the torturer

I would advise against it. It doesn't really begin to take proper turns until later. Have you even gotten to any mention of The Mule yet?

I haven't read beyond the original trilogy because I can't see how it can be continued.

Whatever you think is wisest, my lord.

No mention of the Mule, don't know what that is. I'm a little less than halfway through, in the Mayors section. You'd advise against giving up or against reading it? I'm willing to give it more time because I did really like the beginning, but it's becoming kind of a chore.

Thank you my son. I guess it doesn’t truly matter right?

Diaspora

>Mayors section
I assume that means where early Foundation leaders keep BTFOing retards using superior technology, right?

I say keep reading, it really does get into proper sci-fi mind-fuckery, in my pleb opinion. Once the Second Foundation becomes a topic of interest, this is where it starts to get great.

Diff. user curious about this one. Will Egan make me feel like a tard for not knowing my maths in this one? I like Schild's Ladder, save for the aforementioned math lessons.

Grimnoir Chronicles?

Monument by Ian Graham

could i get my nigger paolo bacigalupi in the post apoc section?

Jack McDevitt has done quite a few "research team goes somewhere and gets in trouble" stories.

Though after the third or fourth disaster in the Academy series you start to wonder why they don't give the research teams bring along more serious gear than stuff that archeologists would take on a trip to dig up dinosaur bones in Utah.

Is Three-Meme not there because of contrarians, or because Veeky Forums genuinely can't enjoy anything? Also, take down the Stephenson, and the entire genre of Cyberpunk.

Add Embassytown, replace Consider Phlebas with either Use of Weapons or The Player of Games, remove Ringworld and the Diamond Age

How about some Big Dumb Object books that feature being stranded and exploring, such as:
Ringworld, Pushing Ice or Bowl of Heaven

Anyone here even read Bowl of Heaven? I only read the sequel, Shipstar, and didn't even notice that it was a sequel until a good deal into it. It was alright.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

doesnt larry niven suck now and just get his fans to write for him?

Split modern, you can't have Dick next to Watts (did I mention you need to add Blindsight

GoT in somewhat hard space. was okay

MALAZAN IS SHIT

SHIT!!!!!!

Reading Rendezvous With Rama for the first time right now, and it fits that. Really fucking good, too.

>Will Egan make me feel like a tard
Yes

Board was around since 2010, I think. I was on Veeky Forums since 2006 though..

Check these out, they are the best of what litrpg has to offer.

CAN I READ THIS AS A STANDALONE?

And they make good pocket change from it. If you're a good author you should try your hand and get money for a new pc or 40' tv

>gamer for life

Just admit you want the dick. No need to play a stuck up bitch. yeah gamer 4 lyfe turned into shit

rats!

Yeah, I was thinking of Veeky Forums, and I'm still here like 11 hours later, so that should tell you something about my Veeky Forums problem.

i dont know how anyone could think those books are litrpgs.
there are two that i would consider pseudo litrpgs. because they have stats but they arent actually litrpgs. this picture has to be a troll or something.

True litRPGs are too autistic for this board.

ignore these , when they're talking about removing Stephenson and cyberpunk. A couple dudes here have a massive hateboner for cyberpunk for some reason, those books shouldn't be left off the chart because they have an extreme bias against it.

Add a category for "transhumanism".

The Mule make his first appearance in book two, which I'm currently reading. I find the books highly average, The Mule makes it slightly more interesting but not much desu. Maybe it gets better, I'll keep reading.

am I blind or is book of the new sun not on there

I tried it. It was like logh with no battles just tons of geopolitical (galactopolitical?) dialogue

One can like cyberpunk and dislike Stephenson at the same time