I haven't read Ulysses yet

I haven't read Ulysses yet.

I mostly read YA fantasy and just come here to know the enemy

no better time to start user, enjoy it's a great book

Confessions thread?
I've read Hegel and Kant, but I've yet to read Aristotle.
I've never fully read the Quran, even though I frequently debate people about it.
I've often told people to go read Stirner's The Ego and His Own even though I haven't touched it ever since I got slightly past the halfway point about a year ago.

Confessions?
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is possibly my favorite book. Does that make me reddit?

at least you're red pilled about andrenochrome

I read the first page, what utter trash. If I want confusion, I'll read cryptology.

My biggest complaint about the book desu is how accurate most of the drug scenes are, and then he just makes up a bunch of nonsense for adrenocrome

have you tried graduating high school sweetie?

No. But I've read Jordan Peterson

What should i read before to get the references?
Or should i just jump right in, maybe with an annotated version?
The book intrigues me but i see myself as too much of a brainlet to appreciate it.

Read Stirner

I found the first part of Notes from the underground to be boring as fuck, I kept reading and luckily it catches up in the second part, but still

I think I'll start next month, it'll be 100 years since the publication of the first chapter.

I might literally be the ubermensch

Write clearly, don't create fake profundity with obscurerantism

STATLEY, PLUMP BUCK MULLIGAN . . .

best first four words of any novel, period.

I just read the first page for the first time too and it made perfect sense. Have you never read a book?

>lucia called me a name.jpg

Did anyone else here first read Ulysses in an academic setting? I took a grad school class about it, and I wonder if I would have been able to understand what the book was going for if I hadn't had a professor holding my hand the entire way. Ulysses is incredibly dependent upon a lot of interlocking contexts, including the development of psychology and the history of the novel. You have to know a lot of what's going on around it and outside it to get it.

is there a single good resource to help understanding it as a NEET

I read when I took an undergrad class on oirish lit and the professor casually mentioned that no one could even finish the book without studying it in a grad school class. I finished it out of spite one semester later. I took a class with that same prof senior year and he casually referenced Gerty and her archetypal ilk (while discussing Madame Bovary) and asked us plebs if we even knew who that was. Sperged out and shut that fucker down.

Harry Blamires - The New Bloomsday Book

idk, read the Odyssey if you haven't already

At what point does it become an impenetrable mess of references?

best last four words, too.

Based YA poster

got heem

I went full autismmode and just read it alongside the Don Gifford notes.

>obscurerantism
Whaters thater?

Stately, Plump, Thicc Buckley

Who did?

I decide to stay away from reading translated works till I read everything I want to read in English.

Here.

Saw it on a library I went the other day and I had to take a picture.

Gifford or Blamires?

50 pages in

AAAAAH HELP ME GUYS PLEASE ULYSSES IS COMING HERE NEXT WEEK WHAT SHOULD I READ BEFORE I TOUCH THAT DRIVEL?
PLEASE BE FAST ANONS YOU UNDERSTAND THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

I only have a copy without annotations, is it OK to just read it like an ordinary book?

Fear and Loathing was my favorite book for a while too. When I read more I realized there was a lot more out there, but I still love FaL for what it is, i think it still holds up as a great book

Who Is the photo of?

Ezra Pound

TS Eliot

Jack Sparrow

> found a 1947 edition in a local library
> it's basically crumbling and costs 80$
Should I? Haven't read it yet either

i started reading it a few years ago when i was pleb, put it down because i realized i wasnt getting much out of it. gonna read it this summer, ive been putting it off.

how come no one is reacting to this

oreganoli

A week isn't exactly long enough to ingest the immense amounts of work which Joyce links in with Ulysses. I would actually recommend just plunging into the book and listening to Re: Joyce by Frank Delaney to catch up on the themes and the references.

How old are you?

why?

go read quran, i kinda like it

but is a month long enough then?