What should I know and have read to be considered cultured?

What should I know and have read to be considered cultured?
Recently I've been forced to fall out of love because of rejection. She came from a super rich family of farmland owners that values highbrow education and she's fluent in Spanish, Italian and German. A great girl. Yeah, I'm sad and stuff, but now that we're apart I can't even ask her simple questions to her so I will ask you guys. What do kids, teenagers and young adults of this kind of family read? I want to fill the gap as quick as possible (I'm 23 btw).

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book#Reading_list_(1972_edition)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_College_(Annapolis/Santa_Fe)#Great_Books_program
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_canon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the western canon

You're going to have to explain

Western like Western Europe, and canon meaning... monumental books that make a big impact? I don't get the metaphor

All of it? I need a shortcut, user. My time with smart, rich cuties will end soon.

if you didnt grow up reading it its too late for you
just an hero

first off don't feel like you're in a race to become well-read. you get in mindset and you'll always be a loser because there will always be someone more well-read than you. just focus on what books are interesting to you and you alone, if you read something challenging and reap no rewards from it, quit it. make no mistake, reading proper well-written books is fucking WORK, but certain books resonate more with others, so it's up to you to find the books that strike a chord with you and are worth reading. it's better to read deeply than read broadly, better to analyze 10 great books incredibly deeply than 100 great books on a very shallow, superficial level.

start with the greeks, loser. read all of plato's and aristotle's works, then the iliad and the odyssey by fagles or lattimore, then the bible, preferably king james. then read cicero's speeches, paradise lost, goethe's faust, don quixote, hamlet, and ulysses by joyce. from there, just kind of go nuts and dive into what interests you. i recommend the list memetimer j adler wrote in his book, which you should also probably read if you haven't already:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book#Reading_list_(1972_edition)

godspeed

not but if you want a good list of western cannon look up Harold Bloom's "The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages"
Otherwise if you want something specific, start with the Greeks.

Is it me or that girl looks like Audrey Hepburn?

read the top 100

has certainly practiced the quirky gaze for days in front of the mirror.

>The Bible
>The Iliad
>The Odyssey
>The Aeneid
>The Divine Comedy
>The Canterbury Tales
>Shakespeare's tragedies
>Don Quixote
>Paradise Lost
>Goethe's Faust
These are a must.

>posting the wrong list

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_College_(Annapolis/Santa_Fe)#Great_Books_program

These

>the
>the
>the
>the
>the
reads like a seinfeld episode list haha

>St. John's College
Could you tell me which are the most famous and valued liberal arts unis besides this one in the U.S. and Europe? I don't anything about unis other than ivy league, cambridge, oxford and lmu.

why do pretty girls make me so sad..

I'll never be a pretty girl..

because of that way they quickly look away when ever you lock eyes with them

because ur spooked. watch OP pic again, now with your eyes, not with your dick. take a deep breath and see it again. see the vapid whore, see the social mascara, see the eager need to fit and suck social prestige of a valuable male, see the lack of anything of value but looks and freshness of youth, see that it doesnt have more to it than a cat has, a cool accessory to show your friends and make them envious. see the hours in front of the mirror pantomiming the perfect "cute" smile that will make thirsty fools stomach ached at the sole sight of it. shes goods that arent for you, and she wants you to be aware of it, she feeds off it.

Just pretend you aren't a beta and don't avert your gaze, act unphased. Works for me

They probably don't read. They work on the land and cut business deals. You want in with families like that then you should become an entrepreneur. It doesn't sound like the issue was you not being cultured enough. It sounds like you were being a needy, self-conscious little bitch and it turned her off.

What a terrible list.

>It sounds like you were being a needy, self-conscious little bitch and it turned her off.
way simpler: he was too poor for her family.

the university of chicago

How to be a Douchebag in 72 Easy Steps.

I think she has a lazy eye

right but what if i wasn't me

We are not American. Both of her parents have PhDs and she was talking about her grandparents who were teachers and how they inspired her. I don't know how the farm business runs at all, but they do have a lot of money and her close family don't work, they just study and teach. While we dated we went to places I thought I would never visit. is right. But she surrounds herself with people smarter than her, even her girlfriends, all of them are older (and some are poorer) and enrolled in education higher than ours. We dated because she thought we shared specific intellectual interests.

>your argument and attempt is noted, but I'm unable to do what was said so I'd like to entertain the idea that It's easier for other people

You're you... Accepting that fact as soon as possible will do you good. If YOU can't look at women, it's YOU who has to deal with that problem.

Whatever she had is something you'll never be able to pull off without a considerable amount of affect. It matters less how well read you are than how well you can perform using their cultural capital. Most, not all, people you're describing are pseudo-intellectuals like many anons here (myself included). All you lack is exposure to highbrow culture and the ability to relay that capital with an amount of tact and wit.

no! you dont get it
youre just a resentful young man playing the same game you attribute to them

>While we dated we went to places I thought I would never visit
what sorts of places?
how did you meet?
did she blush a little when your eyes first locked?
story time

i don't have to be me

Reality says otherwise

>reality

She can keep the bangs

Oh shit, got me there friendo

>how well you can perform using their cultural capital
>all you lack is exposure to highbrow culture and the ability to relay that capital
You are undeniable right. She did see some worth in me for us to date at least. But I have no idea how to acquire this kind of skill and how to perform well.

that's it?

Which girl hurt your feelings user? How have your trust issues been since she realized you are this pathetic?
You sound like one big faggot.

the male game is different, not at all the same. just as evil though

>meeting
I was chasing a different girl and showing off about my (limited) Nordic history knowledge while in class and she noticed me.
>places
She paid for the three traveling occasions we had. Being working class it would only possible in my 30s if I was lucky and landed a good job
>blushing
Never happened.
>locking eyes
I still dream of it.

She and her parents sound stuck up. I would suggest forgetting her and reading for fun or to better yourself and not for hoes.

You can't ape breeding and a private school education pleb. Marry within your class.

I dated a girl whose mom was a documentary filmmaker and whose father taught at Johns-Hopkins for about a year and a half. I found out fast there was a lot I didn't know about highbrow culture in a way that meant something to others. Even though I came from a generously well-off family myself, neither of my parents had much interest in culture outside suburban stereotypes. Culture, more than money, and its performance makes you a member of a class. I don't think I'm wrong in saying that having only a limited or self-imposed exposure to highbrow culture growing up directly affects your ability to acclimate yourself to that culture later on, despite the opportunities.

>decadent european

can't ape sharia law, enjoy your beheading

I don't understand what's being said here

he's a retarded /pol/edditor, ignore him

Baltimore-bro?

Yeah, though I agree with this sentiment. For a time it was French literature, then it was Russian. It's all trends. I try to keep out of it. My father is a lobbyist in Maryland so I was forced to interact with the political elite of the state. The things they ask if you are never well defined but vague deflection always seemed to work for me. I'm a minimalist personally so I don't care much for "culture," at all.

>in a way that meant something to others
Expand on this, please.
> suburban stereotypes
What are those?
>to acclimate yourself to that culture
I know it's hard, but I want to try. What do you think I should do? Write more? Read more? Socialize more?

>He's still trying to force a fake list in 2018

you are wasting your time. just forget her.

Were you posting on /int/ earlier?

I doing it right now but there are other cuties I want to date before graduation.

this is the only correct answer in this thread
besides

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew. Like Achilles, the hero who forgot his heel, or like Icarus who, flying close to the sun, forgot that his wings were made of wax, we should be wary when triumphant ideas seem unassailable, for then there is all the more reason to predict their downfall.

What's the worst that could happen? Why shouldn't I even try?
No, I don't go there.

What country or region are you from? Two of my brothers married into families with Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, Duke alum, had their kids coming up in mostly private schools, etc. They live in Palo Alto or New York suburbs in 2-3 million dollar homes, pay for their kids apartments in major cities, semi regularly go on vacations to Europe or Bermuda, fly up to Vancouver island to go on fishing trips etc etc. So I have gotten to see a little bit of what I consider the upper class in the US, but I guess there is an even higher upper class than that.

Mostly they read biographies, pop-science NPR Tier, or history books with the occasional memoir or New York Times bestseller, and some classics. I was able to impress them when I told them I was learning Italian, had read most of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s work, and knew the history of Alexander. My brothers who married into it are also much less well read than me.

Mainly I think it’s a conversational skill that sets them apart, their “upper crust” always seems to know what to say, don’t let conversations die, and are able to steer the conversation in a positive way every time. They can talk to anyone and are very polite.

Watch barry lyndon and read the great gatsby.

>they can talk to anyone
God, that's a skill I wish I had. I think you're right too, user. Thanks. I've been failing at this, that's why I'm here. I will change my focus.

A-are you Martin Eden?

You can't mimic good breeding and going to an elite school. Class has formative effects on personality and character that can not be overcome in a single generation.

its so advanced, it would never be discussed in regular Veeky Forums threads.

We don't live in the 1700s anymore. The standardization of society in all levels and massification of culture allow for higher rates of social mobility
>personality and character
Can be overcome with manipulation, affectation and sociopathy

>it

What?

Read 'The Richest Man in Babylon'

the secret elite canon

>Jack London - Martin Eden
on why filling that gap will avail you nothing

>Nabokov - Lolita
on feminine cruelty

Shouldn’t you be posting le epic dank communist memes on /leftypol/ right now?

The cutie is cute af, post more pics!

You fool! You will never please a woman by trying to bend to her liking! Women's nature is to "improve" the man they love . . . you don't need to "improve" yourself.
Now the only way to get her back is some bold romantic gesture. Be brave, don't give up!

Ive only met two millionaires in my life, if you dont count meeting their family briefly, one girl and one autistic boy

The girls favorite series was Harry Potter and read little else it seems, the boy was a history major and particularly enjoyed reading about the Spanish colonies

The typical answer you already know. Greek, Roman, later classics, in that order.

Faggot. I'm a millionaire. There's hardly anthign special about that. Meet billionaires before you can even begin judging the absurdity of the elite. retard.

The fact that you think this shows your own lack of class

Just read DFW and Pynchon knowing pic-related.... It's the biggest literary bomb since the invention of the Greek alphabet.

That's not a hard skill to muster if you simply generalize your reading enough. The most important part (I think) is to learn how to connect information. If you can draw parallels from what people to say to things that you know, you won't even have to "know" that much to begin with. Now take this with a grain of salt because I'm not a richfag, but I do deal with these people for work, and they seem to really value this particular skill (linking data in interesting/entertaining ways) to the point I get to go to a lot of fancy parties with no birthright to do so.

> I dated a girl whose mom was a documentary filmmaker

who is the filmmaker, user? very curious.

No way DFW was talented enough to produce M&D and AtD

check your privilege

it's canon as in canonical, it's not a metaphor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_canon

Lack of class or self-awareness?

>linking data in entertaining ways
Not op but how do I learn this?

WHO IS SHE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Just be a pseudo and get her back dude
Pretend to have read all these great works like everyone on Veeky Forums does

If you've read meme books like the Iliad, Dostoevsky, Orwell. Then you're not cultured youre a hipster looking for attention. Stay away from books that any pseud can read.

If you've read in search of lost time, Shakespeare, Dante Alighieri, Flaubert, Kant. Then you're cultured at least in my eyes.

none of those books will make any sense if you skip Egypt and at least become acquainted with hermeticism

I stared at this for like ten minutes. Is this what being brainwashed is like?

Stay away from some classics like the Iliad because they're not hard enough and too popular? Why not both?

don't be misled. it's mostly not about the books you have actually read, but about your capability to speak about them while conversing, mainly superficially. it is about style, behavior and aesthetics. never lose your poise among the rich, especially if you want to fuck their daughters.

>girls
>being honestly interested in culture

If you think culture is a french black and white era haircut slapped onto american pop culture, then you have a long way to go. You'll never be good enough for them. Their "culture" is money. What they call culture is something they'll invent in their minds to "Justify" being rich and "different/better". Assuming you're even telling a true story which you obviously aren't.

ok. the hard truth is probably, that she wanted to experience "the working class". she probably used you for to fulfill her curiosity and she probably wanted to feel your dick too.

only problem: we don't life in a culture structured through class. boring rich people cling to the idea of culture, because it is their last refuge before finally loosing their own identity.

Culture is structured by what then?

You miss my point, you can read them but don't expected to be veiwed as cultured. This is what OP wanted no?

>hasn't read Plato

you can find intelligent cuties in lots of places. what makes this kind of social circle especially appealing to you?

>they can talk to anyone
because they hardly speak with anyone. they speak to themselves.