How long should it take me to finish reading this? I'm on day 7 and haven't got past the first narration

How long should it take me to finish reading this? I'm on day 7 and haven't got past the first narration.

Read Moby Dick, it's much better and has the benefit of coherence and a real story. By day seven, you won't be asking when it's over anymore.

Well, if you have a functioning brain, that is.

Took me ~6 months, but I'm slow as fuck and really enjoyed going back and re-reading sections even before I finished the book. All of the callback details made the book worthwhile for me, and I don't see how one just reads through it like a normal narrative.

Your mileage may vary, obviously

Read moby dick and enjoyed the descriptions of whale fishing more than the actual story desu

Yep, that's another thing Wallace lacks: any valuable educational material

A while. I only started really cruising like 300p in

you don't think the essays are educational?
what are you talking about? Also p.s. this is a blue board.

Moby Dick might be the best prose novel in human history so that's not comparable.

the Mean Value Theorem proof is educational, user

never ever gonna make it, OP
just mark it read on Goodreads and pretend you've read it like the rest of the vast majority of Veeky Forums

Took me like 8 months. Took a break midway through though.

Im reading it now. Only on page 80.

>can't stop the Veeky Forumsraeli invasion
nice

It took me two months, though I did have a break when I went abroad for a couples of weeks and didn't want to lug such a heavy book around with me

took me 5 months. Most of the reading was done in the 1st and 5th months. So 2-3 is pretty realistic/doable I'd say. Don't try to understand everything right now

I've finished this novel recently. Should I wait before giving it a second read?

I started it 3 days ago and im 170 pages in. My goal was to finish it by March 2nd but I’ve been having to work so much I don’t know that it’s still feasible. Give yourself a goal completion date that feels almost impossible and a minimum amount of pages to read per day imo.

STINKY

8 solid weeks, reading everyday. i averaged about 15-17 pages every hour and a half of reading.

>Whale fishing being a valuable thing to know about in 2018.

Lol

Here's what i found pretty true for most people. Within the first 40 pages you are going to want to give up. Nothing makes sense and it's so dense you feel like you're stuck on the same page for an hour. If you get past that then somewhere before page 300 you'll want to quit again. Nothing makes much more sense than it did 200 pages ago and the density never lets up. Lastly towards the end of the book you're going to hit a slowdown when everything starts coming to a head but as the pages slip away you can sense no resolution in the remaining in the allotted time remaining and ninety percent of what's left is surrounding a character that is completely removed from anything happening in the main plot at this point.

LINKY

>soyboy isnt interested in manly activities
shocker

Depends how interested you are in it, but the writing style becomes easier to read the more you read. Took me three weeks, but I started slowly and read more each day. It helped me a lot to take notes along with it. Would have forgotten details that ended up being important otherwise.

Wardine be cry.

then IJ is probably perfect for you

Nah, you should read it now while you still get all the references. The second read is actually very light once you've done it the first time, and the narrative coherence is tremendously improved.

What an aesthetic cube.

Read 50 pages per day and you'll be done in like a week and a half

wardine say momma aint treat her right.

It took me almost three months but just because I had a hard time putting it down.

do you know how many pages this book is? like thats just division.

Yeah I mean 100 lol

wardine be cry

If you have to set yourself a rigorous schedule to actually read the thing, why are you reading it in the first place? Read it as fast or slow as you like, it's just a book!

took me like a week

deluded linkies need not apply

it was meant to take 8 years. you read it alongside your own life for compare and contrast. the book is your keeper and you keep the book. it doesn't go away after you've read it because you don't stop reading it. this isn't some fucking stupid joke either, just because the title has, "infinite" in it. i've basically carried this book with me many years everywhere i've been. seriously try listening to fear of music on an aimless autumn day and walking up to the second floor of your local library and starting over the first page again. i can't get through the first paragraph myself. i just read it again and again because it's sort of confusing. it's a good book though.

I don't really agree with this. I found it pretty consistently entertaining/engrossing from start to finish. Although, I was already a DFW fan based on his essays.

I did get a little fed up with how long it took Marathe/Steeply to progress off the cliff face.

Also
> towards the end of the book you're going to hit a slowdown when everything starts coming to a head but as the pages slip away you can sense no resolution in the remaining in the allotted time remaining
this part is true
It still pulls you in, but I got a sense of anxiety or something concerning how it was all going to wrap up

>he's never read the book.

>says the guy who is reading about manly activities
kek

It will make a lot of people rich