Literature which has made you cry? I have yet to come across a story which touched me that deeply...

Literature which has made you cry? I have yet to come across a story which touched me that deeply, but hope to come across one someday soon.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/9eo26j8mnidd0qz/migrar.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Didn't cry but every story in Dubliners is horribly depressing.

Children of Hurin

Kind of a meme book but I teared up near the end of House of Leaves.

Anna Karenina, when Kitty says yes.
War and Peace, when Andrei is leaving us.
Unconditional Surrender, at old Crouchback's funeral.

Augustine's Confessions

There were parts in the Brothers Karamazov that made me tear up a bit, especially in the chapter about the sick little boy and the older kid and all that. I cry quite easily though.

sissyboys ITT
You're not a man unless you cry at Pale Fire

I read too slow to get emotionally involved in most good literature. Some almost made me cry though.
>Rasko's dream in the first 50-100 pages of Crime & Punishment about the animal being abused, for some reason I almost choked up.
>the part about Active Love in The Brothers Karamazov, ~60 pages in, but tears of joy. It was the first time I truly considered the existence of god or a higher power in my rationally thinking adult life.
>The Dead, when the guy says he doesn't want to live anymore and would rather see the person he loved one more time. Fuck I love The Dead, I reread it monthly.

Oh actually one time I sort of cried, more so in awe than in happiness/sadness.
>Swann's Way, one of the first books that got me truly obsessed with literature and art
>also at a point in my life where I'm loving truly great art more, seeing its value in life, and pursuing my passion of writing
>seeing the world through the eyes of Proust. It was spring/early summer and the flowers were blooming and I was very hopeful overall
>pushing through the Swann In Love section, it was extremely tedious. Went through a similar thing in my life.
>after Swann hears the Vintueil sonata that time at the huge party, and the excerpt beginning with "Perhaps it is not-being that is the true state", the rest of that paragraph was a huge crescendo of emotions for me where every concern in my life at the time was summed up.

>you're not a man unless you cry
Stopped reading there

Call me an autist but Flowers for Algernon had me shedding some tears.

The last paragraph of Never Let Me Go had me bawling

>hehe ur a male with emotional intelligence so despicable hehe

OP, if you're gonna post Joyce you should already know you're not going to find anything better than The Dead. See , .

>When I was a kid
Gregor the Overlander made me bawl like crazy. I'm a little foggy on the details but I think it was that part where it seems like Boots died and Gregor starts losing it, Really got to me.
>as a teenager
I read The Road when I was like 13/14 and teared up at the end. I don't think I was at a level where I could appreciate or even read the book properly but it was still enjoyable.
>as an (young) adult
Haven't really cried to anything since then although I've wanted to. It's an oddly cathartic experience when a book completely breaks you down. What's the most depressing Veeky Forums?

Brothers Karamazov is the only book thats ever made me cry.
Especially the very end, when Alyosha talks to the little boys, fuck man im tearing up just thinking about it.

oh actually now that I remember The Brothers K made me tear up too. That part where Aloysha tries to give Ilyushechka's father the money and he lights up thinking about all the things he would do with it only to pridefully reject it at the end. Real sad.

When Artemis found the second key before Pudge I cried for a week and put the book down for a month

Karenin's Smile from Unbearable Lightness of Being.

>emotional intelligence
I really dislike this term.

>emotional intelligence

Came in here to post this exact thing my dude. Honestly I was choked up for most of part 3 but God damn did that ending get me good

I cried on the bus while reading Brothers Karamazov

East of Eden

leaves of grass

Dersu Uzala

>emotional intelligence
fuck off with this newspeak

Pic related, every time I get to the part where they're drinking wine on the balcony. Simultaneously the ugliest and most beautiful book I know.

Ancient Mariner makes me tear up toward the end -- when you realize it's really just about a tired old man who's been shit on by the whole world.

>We drifted o'er the harbour bar, and I with sobs did pray,
>"O let me be awake, my God, or let me sleep alway."

I read Angela's Ashes, didn't cry -- then I read Dubliners, then I read Angela's Ashes again, and that time I cried. I think Dubliners rounded out my image of the misery.

>So what if I can't understand how people or social systems work. I can parrot shit I heard on the internet and act like a tool, which makes me very smart :^)

mediafire.com/file/9eo26j8mnidd0qz/migrar.txt

doesn't recognizing social structures/ what makes people do what they do require one to utilize the same pattern recognition abilites as conventional intellectually taxing work though?

>tfw A Little Cloud followed immediately by Counterparts

This and Autobiography of Red are the only two books that have made me cry so far

The Consul's story in Hyperion came damn close. But no catharsis as usual, just endless grey veil of sorrow

This one

Films make me cry like some pathetic oestrogen-soaked blubbering baby.

Books, not so much.

Watership Down did when I was young.

More recently, I remember one moment in Something Happened (Joseph Heller).

Basically the one person that means the most to the narrator is his timid younger son. They are out on holiday at the beach and he wants his son to walk off on his own and he is scared to.

Later that evening narrator + wife are having a massive shouting argument and the son comes in and says "Do you want me to walk to the end of the pier daddy?" trying to get them to stop fighting.
It just *shatters* the author instantly.
And the reader.
Well, this reader, anyway.

A Painful Case

How often do you meet intelligent STEM people who aren't socially retarded or at least avoidant. Sure you should be able to reason about such things, but it's a different skillset, insisting intelligence in one field equates to some kind of general intelligence seems really disingenuous desu

Return of the King

The epilogue of the very first book in the "Vorkosigan" series by Lois McMaster Bujold, "Shards of Honor", has to be one of the saddest things I have ever read. Damn I tear up just thinking about it.

Harry Potter when Dumbledore died

Where the Red Fern Grows made me cry when I was 10.

haha ha

rowl grug big manly man not tolerate any speak of grug emotions

You're very stupid. I'm not opposed to men expressing their emotions. It's the term used that I find repugnant.

Sons and Lovers, it's beautiful

why do you dislike the term grug

It's not "grug" that I dislike, but "emotional intelligence".

Why does thou hath no sympathy for the term, 'emotional intelligence', sir Grug?

chernobyl prayer

Honestly me too. I'm a sucker for sentimentality and The Steward and the King, Many Partings, and Homeward Bound were just full of it. When Gimli said he wasn't sure if they'd all ever be together again, while that one didn't make me cry, it was like a stab in the heart. I hate letting go.

Women got cucked out of the bell curve so now they have to pretend emotional capacity is some manner of intelligence.

Les miserables. That shit got me good.

I've read Journey to the East right after Bleeding Edge and the juxtaposition combined with Journey being the ultimate ywn novel made me cry.

>interacts via cat picture proxy
all aboard the vindictive woman/effeminate teenager express

King Lear. The pathos and eloquence of everyone and every event is just perfect. From Lear's rejection, his madness, the brothers betrayal, the final scenes of Edmund and Lear. It's the greatest and most tragic work of fiction i've ever read.

>Homeward Bound
How gay am I if I tear up just thinking about that movie? I miss the 90s.

> "Ilusha told me to, Ilusha," he explained at once to Alyosha. "I was sitting by him one night and he suddenly told me: 'Father, when my grave is filled up crumble a piece of bread on it so that the sparrows may fly down; I shall hear and it will cheer me up not to be lying alone.'"

Excellent retort you autistic bitch

The short story about the paralyzed woman in Turgenev's Hunstman's Sketchbook collection. Her outlook on life was so positive relative to her situation that I legit cried.

Hedwig too

*Why hast thou

It didn't make me cry but Brave New World gave me lots of feels.

When Kubizek finally met Hitler again... lol

desu I sob like a babby during the last few pages of FW

The "apartment scene" in the House of Mirth, and the final chapter of the Age of Innocence. Also King Lear and The Dead.

actual stem people? most are nice and outgoing, happy people.

haha

you seem to think that asian "math guy" in your highschool class is representative of stem guys. or you watch too much telly

I'm pretty much impartial to Hitler's politics but Adolf Hitler mein Jugendfreund is both an incredibly sad and uplifting book. The innocent young Viennese artist really had no presentiment of his future

emotional intelligence. it builds rockets and makes wimmenz stronk. shame it's debunked and fully replaced by the Theory of Mind.

you seem to think that your experiences with stem people give you the authority to tell other people how their experiences have been
fucking idiot

im not the one making bold, sweeping claims about several parts of society.

buddy it was you who said "most are nice and outgoing, happy people"

yes because that's the human norm in case you haven't noticed. most people are not social rejects living in reclusion.

but granted, there are some special Commander Datas in stem. hardly the majority. barely even a minority. in general, they're professionals who are happy with their lives, and who value cooperation, friendship and dedication. it's not my fault that's the case. intelligent people on average are like that. overall happy and healthy but there are some assholes or weirdos that come in very special flavours.

>dude errybody be happy by default
evidence please for your bold and sweeping claim

It is when it comes to communication. Women are better at people than men are.

lol got em

the living relic, great story

When Charlie goes back and sees his mother who just wanted the best for him and his sister who thought everything was going to be ok now that her older brother is back legit makes me upset thinking about it right now.

The end when Alyosha tells all the little boys to never fear for there is always so much good to do made me cry so hard