How do I into buddhism?

How do I into buddhism?
Any practising buddhists here whatever that means?

Other urls found in this thread:

vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Join a sangha.

Good luck finding one worth joining. Most seem to be filled with upper middle class hipsters these days.

The only thing to do is to change your »tendencies«, going from bad tendencies to good tendencies. First you must know what happens in »your world«, which as usual for the dhamma is what you experience. It turns out that you change your tendencies mostly by stopping to associate yourself with people who have the bad tendencies, and you begin to associate yourself with people who have the good tendencies. The concrete advises are at the end.

Once you know what happens in your life, you identify the tendencies which are bad, the ones which are good ; then you refrain from doing again the acts [actions, talks and thinking] which are deemed bad and you pursue the acts which are called good [it turns out that you do not know which tendencies are good since your remain a »normal people«, so you just follow the guidelines of the buddha on what are the good actions ]. It turns out that the principal, if not the only one, source which leads you away from nibanna is mental and not physical. [such as when athletes claim that the limit of their effort is the mind and not the body]

As usual , The beginning is, first, to stop going on the opposite of the path. SO that means to stop caring about what you have always been caring about in all the years you can remember living [since you are not at the stage of nibbanna, you know that whatever you did so far during the few decades of your life has been mediocre at best, if not totally pathetic and stupid. You must be sincere about your skills [you have none since you are miserable] and about the goal you want to reach. So far The only good thing about you, your behavior, your life is that you dislike some of your life and want to reach nibbanna and you have few hours of practice which are not effective according to you].

The usual objects of worry are about comfort, entertainment, the fear of missing out on pleasures and the worry being a good person as thought by people who do not care one bit about reaching a state where they are no longer unhappy once and for all [that is to say that there is nothing else to do after reaching this state of non-unhapinness and there is no dissipation of this new state ever].

The fear about missing out on pleasures is mental and is fed easily by other people who claim that »it would be a pity not to experience this ''happiness''« that is the experience when, let's say, you enjoy a yogurt or be on a cruise with a person you love, or Parachuting and so on.

The worry about comfort and a few other objects of habits is called »biological« by the same persons above, but it is not. It remains mental and you learn later on about managing them [ex: you learn tummo to stop being cold, instead of working to get money, then going shopping, then spending the money on cloths to get you warm, then washing the cloths because they stink, so you need other cloths while the last ones dry and then storing them].

Then the morality from those same toxic people. They claim that you must worry about money, worry about getting a house, worry about attending such event, worry about listening to the people they admire, worry about opinions, worry about who is here and who is not here, worry about the news and so on [it never ends with these people]. This part is also obviously mental.

So far all those worries are fed by living, and worse, listening to those people have bad habits. The first step is then to identify those people, typically by what they claim and what they do [since you do not have access to what they think] and to stay away from them as much as you can. [ex: your friends bugs you off with going to the cinema to watch a movie? you do not follow them, otherwise you would become absorbed in the movie and experience the emotions that the actors try to make you feel. Perhaps if you were skillful at attending to the senses, you could go, but it turns out that once you are good at it, you would not want to go]

Once you stop cognizing about all those objects fed by those people, there is not much to do in your daily life. All those intellectual activities that so many people praise are exactly what must not be pursued. The daily life will be about getting the money that a few people demand from you, to carry out the tasks that a few people demand from you, and more intimately, it will be about food and cleaning the body and the house, sometimes talking to a person who wants to know more about the dhamma.

Far fewer speculations will be generated once this life is led. Once most speculations disappear, you stay on the level of the »body« to know »what you experience« which really means »to know what happens through the 5 usual senses«. The first step is to relax the body, then the mano and the citta. When the speculations appear, you know they appear and when they do not disappear at once, you follow the sutta by recalling that their pursuit is bad and you go back to the body and its relaxation to make them disappear and know that they disappeared by this way. Do this as long as the mind is not relaxed. It turns out that the most natural and the only relevant way to analyze the body is through the »elements«:

find what is soft and hard
find what is dry and wet
find what is cold and warm
find what is airy

Beforehand, the explicit advices are as usual:

with other people: do not lie, do not create stories and drama, settle disputes even if, from the point of view of you and other normal people, you appear to be losing
do not eat too much, especially too much meat
do not ejaculate semen
to not sleep too much, so as soon you as you are awake you start knowing what happens until the moment you fall asleep
do not become upset even when the sensual experience is not pleasant and never succumb to the sensual experience when it is pleasant
change the postures if you want to : go from being sit, to standing up, to walking, to laying in bed [on the back or on the right side] and when you are bored with that, you can clean the house and keep continuing to know what happens.

Knowing what happens is the basis, the beginning. Once you know what happens, you begin to reject whatever leads you to bad acts and you steer towards the good acts.

Once the mind is relaxed and pliant, you either dive into the jhanas and leave them and or you turn your mano and citta to the discourses, especially the most important sequence to recall at any experience: whatever is experienced about the senses is anicca, what is anicca is dukkha, what is dukkha is anatta [NOT what is anicca is anatta].

Let's recall that Nibbanna is the only experience that is anatta and not anicca and not dukkha.

Let's recall that anatta has nothing to do with ''self'' and the specualtions that people put bedhing this word. The atta is not a concept, not an idea, not an opinion, not a belief, not a speculation, not a fantasy, not a dream, not a thought, not a theory, not an observation, not an operation, not a reasoning, not a game, not an information, not an illusion, not a vision, not an hallucination, not a chimera, not a mirage, not a lie, not a ghost, not a fiction, not a simulation, not a charm; atta is and always will be first and foremost about the experience of ''I''', of ''mine'', of ''me'' which projects, it turns out, whatever experiences them towards the opposite of the goal. For instance, the ''me'' in ''I, mine, me'' is not an idea, it is an experience and perhaps you even have a few records of it, typically when you said, without thinking, the word ''me'' when acting with and talking to other normal people. [same situation with '''I'' and ''my''].

The next natural step is to stop worrying about the actions and goods remaining from the old daily life with normal people, which are, let's recall, »about getting the money that a few people demand from you, to carry out the tasks that a few people demand from you, and more intimately, it will be about food and cleaning the body and the house«. Having a house and taking care of it is a burden, finding food is burden, storing food is a burden; so it is the ideal time to become a bhikkhu and continue to attend what happens in your world. Once this is done, It is the ideal time also to lose whatever appeal remains towards any of the »five aggregates«, and any form-ation involving them, like the jhanas which neutralize only temporarily only a few bad tendencies, which mean that they cannot be the end.

Start with the Greeks.

off topic replies and uncalled for catch phrases are violating global rules

Find a Shambhala center and learn how to meditate. Go to weekly meditation. Plug into that community. They’ll show you the way.

this guy gets it
modern buddhism is a scam
buddhism is inherently ascetic
give all your belongings to those who need it.
do good for the sake of good
want nothing
buddhism

>muh platonic good
Fuck off

k

You could try a vipassana retreat

Buddhism is cucked in general though

absolutely correct

Buddhism is pleb tier
Like nigga just stop thinking and do Yoga. The Buddha was a lying faggot that did Yoga and didn't tell anyone about it. The same with Jesus. I mean true Yoga, not the Americanized fitness yoga you see today. Good luck finding it though.

good posts

The hellenistic age will help you understand cognitive aspects of buddhism.

>do good for the sake of good
I had a relarionship with a girl. I did good stuff for her, i also expected goods from her, not because of some exchange rhing, but because i reckon myself as a creature of needs, an incomplete creture.

It all went to shit. What would a budhist have done here? I tried to just give and not expect anything in return, but sometimes its just so hard and you feel lonely at the end.

kino post

Stop all attachment you have to the good result of your good deed. If you do good by someone and that person does not return it, it's not your problem, it's theirs. Stop submitting your will to the mundane world.

But you get a relationship with someone with a goal in mind, to build something good, more than the sum of the parts, if i just leave it be then it would be the shittiest relationship ever. Does telling the partner to fuck off and behave have a place in budhism?

Here.

start every sentence with "well, as a buddhist.. ."

You're suppose to leave what does you harm so... detach yourself to that relationship as well. You have no reason to build a relationship here unless it's positive towards enlightenment.
That's also the reason why I distanced myself from Buddhism, even though I still find it every interesting and it's ideas have led me to accept several aspects of life and other religions better. It's very inefficient in conciliating this world with what is superior and requires literally "superhuman" abilities of 'detachment' so that it's followers achieve it's final point, which would be nibbana (or boddhi). At the same time, however, it's very lenient towards those who feel they cannot achieve that, as we are to be reborn eternally until we find enlightenment. That's why people looking for a feel-good religion usually find it in Buddhism - they feel that if they just "get more spiritual" and become "a loving person", it's enough. Even though more serious doctrines, something that I found mostly in Vajrayana, aren't so fond of that idea. If you want something on that, read Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism.

You forgot the parts about walking clockwise around stupas and making offerings to statues to purge bad karma and attract the causes of wealth.

>face hardship of life or have to make tough choice
>just walk away bro
So this is the power of budhism...

Start with this:

vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php

Work on meditating for longer and longer periods. If you can sit for an hour straight then consider doing a Vipassana retreat.

The theory is irrelevant - it comes naturally as a result of practice meditating.

Ingram seems to me like a used snake oil salesman peddling spiritual enlightenment.

>How do I into buddhism
>'just join a community and like meditate bro'

jesus fucking christ the state of this board

before you start practicing (if thats what you're looking for) read up on the different schools of buddhism and their main texts

Theravada: Oldest school of buddhism that is popular in south east asia. It focuses on good works and meditative practices at an analytical level. Read selected suttas from the nikayas of the pali canon ('In The Buddha's Words' by Bhikkhu Bodhi and 'Sayings Of The Buddha' by Rupert Gethin are great introductory books)

Mahayana: Most popular sect of buddhism globally which arose and settled in east asia (think of zen and pure land). It focuses more on meditation and techniques to achieve instant awakening (zazen, koans, etc). Read Avatamsaka Sutra/Prajnaparamita Sutra/Lotus Sutra/Diamond Sutra/The Heart Sutra depending on which subsect.

Vajrayana: Basically esoteric buddhism which practices 'tantra' (think of kundalini except less new agey). Tibetan buddhism is the only relevant subsect of this category. It has quite a few lineages/schools but the Nyimga lineage is the non-meme one. Since its esoteric, it relies on guru-disciple interaction where the guru 'points' you toward enlightenment here and now. You could read 'Self-Liberation through seeing with naked awareness' by Karma Lingpa to get a taste of what it entails but tibetan buddhists encourage real practice with a guru rather than reading a text.

alan watts and sam harris

Thank you. Very good post. If you have anything more to add please do.

i second this

The only suttas that must be read is the ones which are both in Pali and chinese.

Theravada are strict, conservative no-fun allowed cunts.
Mahayana are afterlife cunts.
The rest are esoteric and chill cunts.

Amitabuddhism, is it a word in English? Pretty weird stuff if you ask me. More or less the Jesus of buddhism that will save you by faith.

>the buddha will never tell a kamma sutta like hinduists have

kill me

Actually they are relatively chill.

Ajahn Chah is mad chill and he’s Theravada in.

Thich Nath Han is zen Mahayana and he’s mad chill.

What’s funny is I don’t know a chill vajrayana or Tibetan master.

Mingyu Rinpoche is pretty chill

The tibetans seem pretty chill to me, the importance of student-guru relationship and initiations also make them strict cunts I suppose.

Oh Yeah, he's chill and funny too

You know who's a tight ass and likes to preach Zen? Suprisingly, Alan Watts.

I've read his book and know there are people who followed his advice and gained attainment similar to him. He may be misguided here and there, like about enlightenment not being just as awesome as described in suttas but it's artifact of vipassana practice not making insights deep enough due to lack of explicit concentration practices. And he gives everything you would want from him for free.
I like open approach of "pragmatic dhamma" community which doesn't make experiences and attainments a secret. Secrecy does more harm than good in age where every information about dhamma, teachers, students is readily available.

mandatory guru-disciple interaction, secrecy and making lots of unverifiable statements about energies and afterlife is a dealbreaker for me when it comes to Vajrayana, other than that it's a legit buddhism that will make you enlightened.

Quality posting but is important to remember that is very hard to make yourself ascetic without substituting joys of normal life with meditative joy that comes out of concentration practices.
I'm meditating for 6 months now (4 months 2 hours a day) and experienced minor insights, intense joy in my whole body, heightening of senses and concentration and I feel attaining at least first stage of enlightenment in a year is not beyond my reach. Meditate anons because it's awesome.

1. Stop culturally appropriating the culture of People of Color's cultures witchyo white ass.

2. Sit down. Be humble.

3. Kick around problematically and avoid Orientalism (which yes includes criticizing Islam) and wait to die and be reincarnated as an Asian.

4. Explore the rich culture of People of Color to your heart's content you fucking racist.

E for effort

Everyone's talking about how great these posts are and I get it but they creep me out desu.

bump