Where do I start with him?

Where do I start with him?

Lolita is a good introduction.

Whose Line Is It Anyway

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

novelette by the name of mary

Has this guy even written something other than Lolita?

This or Pnin. Glory is another good one.

you don't

Start with some of his earlier works. Don't start from Lolita or later works. As for which books specifically, I don't think it matters. For example, The Defense and Laughter in the Dark. Read The Gift and The Enchanter (novella) before Lolita.

captcha advice:
>modere su velocidad

why not

Pale Fire and Speak Memory are both classics

>starting with Pale

Lolita is as good a place to start as any

Anyone recommending to read Lolita first has not read more than 1-3 books by Nabokov. Add this to the list of ways to detect a pleb.

So what do you recommend as a starting point?

Since this is the Nabby thread, is Invitation to a Beheading worth it?

NABOKOV CHART WHEN

No. It's basically a shaggy dog story. Read Bend, Sinister

Ye, and a Dostoevsky chart too so that I can post it in all these fucking threads every day. Not like it's likely to change anything, as proven by Homer, but maybe it will. I can already see the shitstorm around potential P&V recommendations in a chart like that.

No one said to start with Pale Fire, you illiterate moron.

I've started with his short stories, watching him build his ideology-mindset & style.

I think there's a bit of a troll in him. Someone who's responded to outsiderness and nihilism with a cosmic perspective, simultaneously sophisticated and immature--but always elegant--humorous depth.

>I've started with his short stories,
Is there a collection of them?

The problem with Nabokov is he's probably the best English language writer in terms of prose ever but he has nothing interesting to tell really.

I disagree entirely but you're free to have bad opinions
He had a very sophisticated and seductive ideas about how one should live your life and relate to your desires. Its not some stupid blunt Tolstoevskian banner waving but its certainly not nothing