What did I just read? What was the symbolism of him being a cockroach/dung-Beatle...

What did I just read? What was the symbolism of him being a cockroach/dung-Beatle? Kafka seemed to be hinting at a larger theme, but I cant figure it out. My tentative hypothesis is: Gregor was depressed/exhausted from working so hard and being depended on for the previous years that he needed repose, and, despite his will to recollect himself, couldnt; consequently, causing him to leech off his parents in quiet desperation and self-loathing until he died and relieved them of their burden

>cockroach/dung-Beatle
woodlouse

There's no deeper meaning, it's just about a man who turned into a bug.

Poop!

I came away with the impression that he had been unknowingly holding his family back, since once he was out of the picture life improves markedly for everyone else.

So I found it quite depressing.

literally the only book i have rated 1 star on goodreads
kafka is absolute trash

don't be a weak ass soy boy or else no one will value you and you will just get squashed like a bug

I wanted to think of gregors metamorphosis as being a metaphor for him waking up with a disability or something like that, and Kafka plays with the fact that the reader will want to do this by putting in some scenes in which there is no doubt that he is literally some kind of giant insect.

In the first line, the term Ungeziefer is used, which is normally translated as ‘vermin’. ‘Ungeziefer’ was a term being used at that time to refer to jews. I don’t remember enough to say anything very useful but i do remember that one way the story can be interpreted is the experience of being a jew in eastern europe.

I think you’ve understood it just fine, did you enjoy it?

the trial is good.

what a kind user

I did as well, unfortunately the sister was entering the same cycle, so I found it doubly sad on that front
Right, he tried to live his life to please others, rather than do what he needed for his life and it ended up costing him both.
It was good, but since it had such a "big reputation, big reputation, ooh me and you would be a big conversation!" That I'm a little disappointed in the lack of symbolism with the bug. For awhile I thought he was delivering great metaphor--using the bug, but it really didn't amount to much
This

What is the symbolism of anything?

The symbol x, is an alternative context in which to view y that either: further clarifies y's meaning, provides insights into y that aren't already known, or makes a comparison: in which, to understand y as juxtaposed to x. Probably other things symbolism provides, but that's my freestyle.

Why be this childish? You are lucky I responded

Why is there always this one guy in English classes?

My diagnosis: they are tempermentally different--suited towards math and science, combined with arrogance and shallowness of thought. Why even respond to the brainlet? It just encourages them and fucks this board up. We need do do like /jp/ and /a/, and these people will just go away

it’s about his transition from lawyer to writer wich caused and eventual detachment from his family. Also if you read his letters you can see that many mundane actions in the book are sort of autobiographical

Like Moby Dick it's about a man hunting a whale.

Is the Metamorphosis really a case of symbolism then? What if the relationship between x and y is like that of a dream to its origin in some aspect of banal waking life. In other words, y is something oppressive and boring whose "meaning" is all too clear, while x the dream serves to transform it by making it absurd, baffling and maybe beautiful. This is what is meant by the book's title. (Also read the first line of the book for the importance of dreams.) Kafka has given us a metamorphosis, not a symbol and whoever asks for what it "symbolizes" is asking for what is ugly, irrelevant, trivial, and boring.

Did anyone, such as Max Brod for instance, think to tell him that the physical properties of apples don't allow them to penetrate materials?

Gregor was a bugman with no friends and interests, just a cog in a bureaucratic machine. His family never respected him, he was just a handy source of income for them and they threw him out like unwanted trash after he was no longer useful.

The metamorphosis itself symbolises either a disability that no longer makes a person useful to society, or it just makes Gregor's appearance consistent with what's on the inside - a small, pitiful creature that behaves ike an automaton with no independent thought.

>What was the symbolism of him being a cockroach/dung-Beatle?
Jewish ugliness and their iconclastic destruction of beauty and the form of man; which also being the image of God, is the debasement of God: a perpetual Deicide.

>tfw all you wanted to do was send your sister to the conservatorium

an allegory for feeling socially alien, and alien to yourself

alienation
egregore samsma !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITT: Dumbfags who didn't realise the main character was Grete, and it was SHE who transformed during the story.

tip of the fedora to you user, keked hard

bish the man became a bug what more you want

Basically the moral of the story is don't become a wage slave.

We stated above their is an underwhelming lack of symbolism, so...
I'm thinking the latter
Ikr, and now she's starting the cycle that killed him. Although, it was sad af when even she turned on him
NEET for life!

Becausebhes technically correct but in the details is wrong
Is gregor samsa literally a giant bug in the book? Yes. Does that mean it has no deeper meaning or metaphorical content? No.

There is much more to life than either being a wage slave OR a NEET. Our inability (and I include my own) to think up of something that doesn't involve wages is a historical feature largely made use of by whoever is ruling at a given moment.

Read Deleuze.
/thread

>when his sister turns on him
Almost cried desu senpai

It was a joke user, I have a job: Im an artist
For real! No wonder he stopped eating, poor guy just wanted out of this shit hole

HAHAHAH
He got dumbfounded by Meamorphosis, but hasn't even read "Investigations of a Dog", "The Bucket Rider" or "The Burrow".
AHHAHAHAH hahahaha
Step up your game you pathetic pleb.
>Grego was a Dung Bettle. THe idea of him being a roach is a lie being pushed by the deep state

It is the msot beautiful portrayal of love desu.
>Especially because I feel love is often an overlooked theme in Kafka's novels; always jsut sexism torward women and what not they like to say to "ruin" this poor kike

It's an early example of transformation fetish smut. Kafka was just a bug furry.

>We need do do like /jp/ and /a/
>implying anyone here goes to those baords (no one who posts here should alos go to those baords !_!)
what do they do?

If someone posts stupid shit, then demonstrates they have no knowledge of the topic or context, then they are either ignored and scolded severely!
These posts are examples of what not to respond too. Way to shit posty. Bring's the whole board down. Other threads can be worse

*that *or

Read Kafka's letter to his father and you'll understand all of it.

is this good secondary material for Kafka?

>I have a job: Im an artist

:^)

Nicee, I'm glad someone noticed what I did there

Can you at least accept the possibility that Kafka may have wrote it with no deeper meaning in mind, seeing that he didn't even want it published, and any meaning you find in it is of your own making?

he would not have written the story using surrealist imagery and allusion if there was no deeper meaning it would have been written like a Goosebumps story if that was the intention

>he would not have written the story using surrealist imagery and allusion if there was no deeper meaning
It's exactly what a story would look like if it was only meant to be superficial.

His metamorphosis represents some bout of mental illness like depression that makes him unfit to function in normal life, making him feel and act less than human.

Pretty sure it gets caught between two segments of his body.

>Implying there are no awesome and confounding depths of metaphors to be explored in the rich tapestry that is Goosebumps.

Bugs that big couldn't survive in our atmosphere, which is an even bigger problem

>It was good, but since it had such a "big reputation, big reputation, ooh me and you would be a big conversation!"
Did you ... quote Taylor Swift?

Well since we started, it's worth mentioning that people can't turn into insects overnight

She is /ourgirl/ after all. I mean, look what and kafka made me do

How do you know? You aren't him.

>Authorial intent