What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CzhA6Yz3-QM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nigga you aren't even reading it you're reading a translation lmao

Some straight bullshit in the end

windmills

A wagon of lions and a knight-errant smelling his squire shitting himself

Nice try but it's been endorsed by Harold Bloom so it's immune to all other memes.

Some cheeky giggles, misadventure upon misadventure, meandering backstories for characters who won't return (but don't worry, they're very good, just a digression from the main storyline), some playful meta-humour and a devastating ending.

The windmill part is only a couple of pages. Not sure how it's the part everything fixates on. Thought Quixote mistaking the two flocks of sheep as warring factions was a lot funnier.

What makes it the most important novel of all time?

commandment of Veeky Forums

autists who can't digest anything more complex than ridiculing a socially retarded person

Someone needs to make a Harold Bloom Seal Of Approval meme

like the Good Dog meme who protects you against "Your mom will die in her sleep" posts.

Something like:

"This Work Has Been Blessed With The Harold Bloom Seal Of Approval.
It is there canonical and anyone who criticizes it may be dismissed as a brainlet without further argument, but ONLY if you save Based Harold Bloom to your computer and say THANKYOU, BASED HAROLD BLOOM"

Wasn't there a Don Quixote reading group long back?
Does anyone have that megalink from the group containing the audiobook, azw3 and epub?

>not sure how it's the part everything fixates on
Because it's as far as most people get

Don Quixote is a book where the language you read it in doesn’t matter as much

the cucking tale in the middle of the book just because was unironically god-tier

If you start to get bored in the first half, hang in there! Part 2 is much better (not to say that Part 1 isn't great too, it just gets a little repetitive).

it was pretty much THE novel that laid the foundation for all other novels to come. oh sure, there were stories and epics before it, but they were all pretty much confined to bombastic fantasy, with gods and fairies and beasts and folklore abound.

don quixote is so important, possibly the most important novel in human history, because it was the first major work of literature that took a massive step back and said "wait a minute, this fantasy shit is retarded" and went on to both celebrate and mock humanity's white-knuckle grasp on flimsy conceptions of justice, beauty, and goodness, in the form of don quixote, the chivalrous fantastical madman, who was always philosophically at odds with his dumpy, world-weary squire pancho.

not only was it the first novel to do this, there has never been a novel written since that can come close to matching don quixote in quality, humor, or depth regarding the dualistic themes contained therein, of fantasy vs. reality, eccentric vs. mundane, comedy vs. tragedy

a really fucking good time.

Was this book also read by every Spanish Hidalgo from the moment it got published?

Actually, the Spanish of Cervantes is quite crude, clumsy and provincial, not to mention that the years have made it obscure at times to native modern-Spanish speakers. A good-quality translation might make more for Cervantes – that is, gain the confidence of modern readers and keep his public growing – than his own original text.

Cervantes is not Shakespeare, where the use of words is so skillful and beautiful that any deviation in translation will probably diminish the value of the original text.

this:
I still think that War and Peace is greater

I plan to read that too. What translation(s) do you prefer?

I read it in Portuguese, user. I am not sure about what is the best English translation of War and Peace.

You plan to read War and Peace? I speak enough Russian to know a bad translation — the Maude translation is far and away the best. I haven't read the Oxford World Classics yet (pic related), but as I understand, she is just cleaning up the Maude translation without any substantial revisions.

So either pic related or the original Maudes.

A comic novel that is still surprisingly able to make you smile a little, but has since been surpassed by other comic novels.

This one is the one to read. This has the Maudes skillful prose that's Tolstoy-approved (not like that matters all that much), and is also rid of their mistakes. Wish they did the same thing with Maudes translation of Anna Karenina, but it seems they went with a whole new translation by Bartlett (which apparently is also really good)

A silly story about two goofballs with a bunch of, what are intended to be, "true" stories of chivalry. Aslo expect to be bawling at the end.

lol this
the windmills are a pleb filter
it is safe to say and assume that anyone who even so much as mentions the windmills has not read more than 100 pages of the text, and likely not even that much

>smile a little
my nig i was open-mouthed busting up laughing at many points throughout the entirety of the whole book you might need some anti-depressants my dude

postmodernism before modernism was invented

thanks man, I'll check it out

Most great writers who were influenced by Don Quixote (which is what makes it important) read it in translation.

>spanish of cervantes obscure to modern speakers

Only a little, there are figures of speech we still use to this day

It's unironically laugh out loud funny

An autist and a retard getting the shit beat out of them in one part and some deep shit in the next

>has since been surpassed by other comic novels.

Examples?

Im reading this also, and its too danm funny. Also I dont read this in public transportation because i would seem like an insane man, laughing at my kindle that is.

Bloom says something like this Poe, that he is atrocious and only benefits from translation.

Faulkner read it once every year.

Infinite Jest and Gravity’s Rainbow

Finished it today desu.

Its a pretty good read but there are some parts that just keep dragging on, overall it was a very pleasurable experience

the nintendo switch of literature

is that good or bad?

There's a pic of some guy with beard and glasses holding a nintendo switch while smiling with his mouth open, so yeah it's bad.

Well, after starting it you're in for continuing it and eventually finishing it. Or you don't, which wouldn't be surprising.

youtube.com/watch?v=CzhA6Yz3-QM

Nobel institute named it the greatest novel of all time. Not that that matters anymore, given they awarded fucking Bob Dylan the prize for lit.

Catch 22 and Dunces