Black Poets

Who are some good poets of color? What was their best piece?

Kung Fu Kenny ))))
All of it

Langston Hughes and Sterling A. Brown are good, they draw on folk/popular traditions like blues and spirituals - The Weary Blues is one of Hughes' best; The Negro Speaks of Rivers is also pretty decent.

If you want a black poet who doesn't talk about being black an awful lot - which is this board's main criticism of non-white writers, and admittedly it can be true - then Countee Cullen would be a good choice. His style is far more traditionally "poetic" than that of Brown or Hughes.

despite the meme hip-hop answers that this thread will inspire Gil-Scott Heron is legitimately pretty great: Whitey on the Moon and Small-talk at 138th and Lenox particularly. Also if you want a writer who appeals to the /pol/ side of the website he very much does so in poems like The King Alfred Plan and The Subject Was Faggots.

Paul Laurence Dunbar is also interesting if you want an earlier poet; works like When Malindy Sings are written in this minstrel-show southern dialect that somehow works quite well.

Pushkin was apparently also an octoroon; though if you count him as a black poet you might as well say Lermontov is scottish.

k dot

Amiri Baraka
Paul Lawrence Dunbar

Wow thanks, I just expected this thread to be shitposts

>Whitey on the Moon
?¿

Komunyakaaaaaaaakakaa

?

came here to say this. also rita dove and gwendolyn brooks. jericho brown is probably my contemporary favorite

Ye

James Emmanuel, Robert Hayden.

Jean Toomer actually transcended his race.

>The Subject Was Faggots
lol

hahahaha made me kek because how true it is.

are people of color just black people? or is yellow a colour too?

James A. Baldwin.
Read "letter from a region in my mind". It is an essay with lots of poetic prose.

i take poc to mean non-white

Saul Williams

Ouyang Jianghe, "best work" may as well be Phoenix, a long ekphrastic piece that's been translated to English w/ images of the original sculpture, it's a difficult piece in Chinese but has been well done in translation.

Jeffrey Yang writes good too, should read "The Grass"

>good
>black poets
They're mutually exclusive

Dunno

Biggie

Seconded

patience agbabi

Will Alexander -- Compression and Purity
Jay Wright -- The Double Invention of Komo
Countee Cullen -- From the Dark Tower

Counter question:
Can someone name me some nog poets from that terrible beat period where all their poetry was really big brain wojak and basically sounded like the 50s version of conscious hip hop?

samuel r delany

"hogg"

Rabindranath Tagore is the only correct answer here.

I was about to post something poltier but you are absolutely correct, Tagore is fucking amazing