What are you currently reading

what are you currently reading

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cleanest_Race
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Romanovs: 1613-1918

Neuromancer. It reads like a videogame.

Eugene Onegin and War and Peace Volume III

Finished Teatro Grotesco earlier in the week.

Waiting for a book on the fall of the Weimar republic, None Dare Call it Conspiracy, and The Sunlight Dialogues.

Will probably read the conspiracy book first, as it seems fast.

How is it? I’ve heard decent things about it

Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
12 Rules for Life by Dr. Jordan B Peterson

I'm a pseud I know, but I'm enjoying them both. Especially Shoe Dog.

Snows of Kilimanjaro

Starting The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Satantango

nice

I'm reading Knockemstiff at the moment, pretty good stuff

Say it with me: "á" "ó"

sickness unto death
and also
the greatest knight, by thomas asbridge

Why do you consider yourself to be a "pseud"?

oh i was just calling myself a psued before anyone else got the chance to because Im reading Peterson.

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing.

Currently reading this.

The Man in the Meme Castle By Dick K. Dick

I like it, it's well paced and everything going on in the royal russian court keeps me entertained. Alot of similar russian names though, sometimes hard to keep track of who's who in that pack of lovers, politicians and generals.

I've learned a lot of history as well.

just finished Gravitys Rainbow my god.
now on to study Kierkegaard and find peace and purpose in the relations relating

Mann’s Dr Faustus

The House on The Borderland.

Someone rec'd on here and so far I'm enjoying it. The imagery is damn bizarre but fantastically eerie.

Discourse on the origin and foundations of inequality among men
Fear and Trembling

a tome of short stories by Hrabal
it's pretty good so far, not as good as Too Loud a Solitude though

rereading Infinite Jest. Highly recommended to those who've only read it once. It moves a lot more quickly and the subtle plot things easily stand out more.
Also: The Sot-Weed Factor and The Sellout

Anti-Oedipus

Critique of Pure Reason

Difference and Givenness; Deleuze's Transcendental Empiricism and the Ontology of Immanence

How is it?

After playing the video game as well as reading other related books like Roadside Picnic, I thought about picking it up.

This

I really have to read this some time. I heard the descriptions are really vivid

Robert Browning Parleyings with Certain People of Importance in Their Day.

I just bought the Trilogy and plan on reading shortly. Going through the Burning Chrome collection at the moment though.

This

Mysticism and Language

fite me

And this

How does it compare to the other faust stories?

Shakespeare & Co. by Stanley Wells

The Wild Ass's Skin by Balzac

The Arabian Nights

I love delillo so much

The life of an undergrad:
>Locke's "An Essay concerning Humane Understanding"
>Shelley's "Frankenstein"
>Coleworth's "Lyrical Ballads"
>Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" and "Groundwork"
>Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics"
>some short stories by O'Connor and her "Mystery and Manners"
>C.S. Lewis' "Till We Have Faces," "The Four Loves," and "The Great Divorce"
>Brian Davies' "The Thought of Thomas Aquinas"

and for pleasure:
>Kierk's "Sickness Unto Death" and "Concluding Unscientific Postscripts"
>The Catholic Catechism
>various essays by Iris Murdoch
>Plato's "Symposium," "Laws," and "Meno"

I can't wait until the summer, when I can spend half the time trying to write publishable essays, and the other half psyching myself out of it.

Man that was a good read. Raw, but good.
Also checked.

Dunno. Finished Aurora Leigh last night. Might start on "Politics" by Aristotle

Plato's Dialogues and The Poetic Edda.

The song of Roland and Dead souls.

Not OP, but I didn't especially like it. Marlowe's Faustus is funny and witty, Goethe's is more phisolophical and classic, but still better than Mann's. And Bulgakov's (Master and Margarita) is also funnier, especially the black cat representing the devil, whose name I don't recall right now.

So, in definitive, Mann's is the least I liked, although I'm sure a second and more attentive read would make me appreciate it more.

>Locke's "An Essay concerning Humane Understanding"
>Shelley's "Frankenstein"
>Coleworth's "Lyrical Ballads"
>Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" and "Groundwork"
>Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics"
>some short stories by O'Connor and her "Mystery and Manners"
>C.S. Lewis' "Till We Have Faces," "The Four Loves," and "The Great Divorce"
>Brian Davies' "The Thought of Thomas Aquinas"

That's your reading list for uni? For one single semester?

Behemoth is what the cat is referred to

Do Androids dream of electric sheep and Plato's complete works

all of poe's work for my american lit class.

man of the crowd is his best work, don't question it.

>Behemoth
My bad then.

Benjamin's Berlin Childhood ca. 1900
Wallace Stevens' Posthumous Essays
Hughes' Tom Brown's School Days

The Republic (for school)
Don Quixote
Twilight of the Idols
Decline of the West vol 2
Gravity’s Rainbow
Propaganda (Ellul)
Nightside of Eden
Fanted Noumena

really good fucking taste user

yes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cleanest_Race

ayyy i have the same exact editions and i'm reading them for the first time right now. i've never seen the movies so i've gone into this totally clueless and with absolutely no knowledge of the lore or plot. i'm half way through the two towers and loving every bit of it

Then in future you can use the construct below dearest Redditor

>inb4 pseud

Gödel Escher Bach by Douglas Hofstadter, The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler, and Ravi Ravindra's translation of The Bhagavad Gita.

The White War: Italian Front from 1915-1919
Nihilism: Root of Revolution in the Modern Age.

this post

I've read better.

You're reading eight books at once? How long does it take you to finish one, usually?

Mansfield Park (gave up until I can find larger font edition)
Ficciones (on hold, began it because of the failed reading group thread)
Fahrenheit 451

Thank you for this. I just read it, and experienced a distinct nostalgia, reminded of Poe's instrumental role in my early literary education. I will have to worm my way through his works once more as an adult, I think.

Melmoth the Wanderer

I've went up to 18 at once and usually what happens is that I read a chapter of each until it gets too boring and I drop it or I find one I really enjoy and latch onto it. Unfortunately this means that I have books that I started in August that are really good that I'm barely half way through, but I also have read over 2000 pages in January. Right now I'm reading Hard Times by Dickens, Neverwhere by Gaiman, Confederacy of Dunces by Toole, Norwegian Wood by Murakami, 1984, The Bible, and a few Shakespeare plays. It isn't a great way to read books if you just want to enjoy a story, but I find that it makes me more analytical.

The things they carried

If you find yourself enjoying Gibson, definitely check out Pattern Recognition. Top-tier comfy.

Crime and Punishment I've been reading it for the past couple months and still haven't finished

Cliges

The Master and Margarita

How do you like it?

The Long Ships by Bengtsson
>You will never have a friend like Toke

lmao, I had to read that book in 4 days for ap lit for summer. was a wild ride spending those days non stop reading. I loved the book and is probably my favorite that I really want to reread.

Lord Jim by Conrad. A1 stuff.

Man I read a bunch of classics for AP lit but didn't enjoy or really absorb any of them. The combination of rushing through them and shitty peers ruined most of them for me. I read Razors Edge in class and none of my classmates could relate to/understand Larry's desire to "loaf around" and to just live life. Also 90% of the class was "smart" and only there for the grade instead of a passion for lit so they'd just constantly make vague statements laced with "intelligent" words instead of trying to understand the material.

I was heartbroken when I got to college and the same shit would happen, other students not being interested or passionate in the material. I remember being hungover and losing my shit about how good "Howl" was and just being stared at like the autist I was probably being. Still hated the idea of higher education forever after that, they are just paper mills unless you are going for law/health/science

Memories of Hadrian

So...nothing?

>especially the black cat representing the devil
I thought the devil represented the devil in Master and Maragrita. Must've missed something.

My classmates are morons who don't read either, so what? I discuss the books with the teachers.

A collection of short stories by walser

Finishing Lolita this weekend, then onto Evelyn Waugh's A Handful of Dust, which I've heard is lowkey his best book so I'm looking forward to it.

"The Four Loves" is some seriously good shit. Ethics was a fave of mine, too. Philosophy class is the only thing I miss about undergrad.

Coehlo's "The Alchemist," and I've got to say I'm not at all impressed.

GR. Read it once before when I was a teen.

I mean you are a pseud. Peterson aside, reading top sellers makes you a pseud

Siddhartha

Had this feel when reading The Book of the Courtier. 'I will never have friends like Castiglione' (all but one of whom died young).
Was depressed for days. But at times since almost happy to know that once such persons existed in the world.

Brave new world

It's good so far (I'm halfway through the book), but it takes a while to get into the "flow" of the book, due to the long and unusual sentences. I like the bleak imagery and strangeness of it. So far there's been a lot of buildup so I hope the ending will be satisfying.

how to kill yourself: a guide to a better future

Confessions of a Mask
it's gay as hell

>when he steals the muslim wife of the king of denmark

Leo Strauss on Thus spoke Zarathustra

My diary desu

my ex's journals

this thread