Dropped

ITT: Books you dropped and never picked back up to finish.

>pic related

I like Pynchon too, but I just couldn't.

Clearly you don't like Pynchon. It's his best book.

lmao holy shit your reason is literally "omg i just can't"

fuck your soy, soyboy lmao

I'm about 100 pages in and it's getting good.

House of Leaves

how the FUCK did the talking terrier not sell it, if the quaint yuletime framing did not? my favorite pynch!

not saying I won't ever go back but I got about halfway and just found myself not interested anymore and bored

The pedo shit might've thrown him for a loop.

>m-muh pedo shit

lol

I'm at the part where they meet Franklin.

I liked m&d the first time but dropped it the second. It veers between lolsorandumb and overly maudlin

That scene with George and Martha is some top tier hilarious shit dude.

Unbearable

a lot of normal people are put off by pedo shit nigger its really fucking weird and only mentally ill people aren’t bothered by it

Does anyone know if this book is at all like The Sot-Weed Factor? I feel like they must have some similarities, humor and setting wise.

it's triggering time

I like when the little girl sits on his lap and grinds him and he gets a boner

Last Exit to Brooklyn, during the section about the strike.

Then a lot of normal people would be put off by accurate historical accounts on commonplace things

infinite jest

>2666

It wasn't necessarily because I wasn't enjoying it. I just had a fairly lengthy stay in hospital and in the years since I just haven't had the urge to pick it back up, even though I still feel guilty about never finishing it.

It's kind of like the sotweed factor, in the sense of relative historical accuracy. But Mason and Dixon are hardly comically inept idealists who turn cynical. It's a lot more whimsical and fantastical than sotweed. But yes, if you enjoyed sotweed, read son & xon

Too bad you didn't like it, it's my favorite Pynchon that I've read. For those of you who did enjoy M&D, I advise you to go read Sot-Weed Factor as soon as possible. It is very similar and even Pynchon himself admitted that he was indebted to Barth. Both amazing novels. On the other hand, if the mild nymph scene from M&D made you uncomfortable, maybe Sot-Weed isn't for you (think incest, bestiality, homoeroticism, pedophilia etc.).

Did not notice your post, see...

Why? I like Faulkner and have heard him and Tom compared, was going to pick this up

Fair enough, it really lingers and gets tedious.

His prose is very overblown and dramatic, but i enjoyed it nonetheless. If you don't care about it, you'll enjoy it too.
Faulkner did praise Wolfe in his time. I remember reading he ranked the best contemporary writers and put Wolfe first and himself second.

I tried, really hard.

I also dropped this but then did pick it up again, and I'm really glad I did

>put Wolfe first and himself second

Such humility!

I really tried to get myself to finish this, especially since I was more than halfway through, but I just couldn't.
I feel really guilty having it sit on my shelf considering that I didn't finish reading it but still take pride in having it in my library. But all the information that it presented was nothing new to me.
If anyone has read it and suggests me to pick it back up again, then please, go ahead. I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on something greater.

>Books you dropped and never picked back up to finish.

Pic related

Why does it look so much like him?

>that filename

looking back, why was that section in the book? So cringey to slog through

Because Wardine momma don't treat her right

pic related.
I stopped about 3/8" towards the end. The whole story felt it went nowhere and wasn't doing anything.

hell, I thought the entire book was just not doing anything interesting. Made me lose interest in all forms of science fiction from that point on.

American Gods. What a pile of dogshit.

This boring pile of pseudo-elizabethan shit. Multiple attempts, couldn't get past the wrestling match.

Also this. Hippies were dumb. They made some good music tho.

>I just couldn't.
How? It's his most accessible and immediately gratifying book. It's pure magic all the way through

The republic

That one passage about how "we are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of" blew my mind when I first read it. Maybe I'm just dumb and couldn't come up with this stuff on my own, but I found it insightful. But if you got more than halfway through without getting anything new then I don't see how the rest of the book would do anything for you.

120 Days of Sodom gets old quickly.