Stephen King’s Top 20 Rules for Writers

openculture.com/2014/03/stephen-kings-top-20-rules-for-writers.html

1. First write for yourself, and then worry about the audience. “When you write a story, you’re telling yourself the story. When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story."

2. Don’t use passive voice. “Timid writers like passive verbs for the same reason that timid lovers like passive partners. The passive voice is safe.”

3. Avoid adverbs. “The adverb is not your friend.”

4. Avoid adverbs, especially after “he said” and “she said.”

5. But don’t obsess over perfect grammar. “The object of fiction isn’t grammatical correctness but to make the reader welcome and then tell a story.”

6. The magic is in you. “I’m convinced that fear is at the root of most bad writing.”

7. Read, read, read. ”If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write.”

8. Don’t worry about making other people happy. “If you intend to write as truthfully as you can, your days as a member of polite society are numbered, anyway."

9. Turn off the TV. “TV---while working out or anywhere else---really is about the last thing an aspiring writer needs.”

10. You have three months. “The first draft of a book---even a long one---should take no more than three months, the length of a season.”

11. There are two secrets to success. “I stayed physical healthy, and I stayed married.”

12. Write one word at a time. “Whether it’s a vignette of a single page or an epic trilogy like ‘The Lord of the Rings,’ the work is always accomplished one word at a time.”

13. Eliminate distraction. “There’s should be no telephone in your writing room, certainly no TV or videogames for you to fool around with.”

14. Stick to your own style. “One cannot imitate a writer’s approach to a particular genre, no matter how simple what that writer is doing may seem.”

(cont.)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3p09pXnBXJU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

15. Dig. “Stories are relics, part of an undiscovered pre-existing world. The writer’s job is to use the tools in his or her toolbox to get as much of each one out of the ground intact as possible.”

16. Take a break. “You’ll find reading your book over after a six-week layoff to be a strange, often exhilarating experience.”

17. Leave out the boring parts and kill your darlings. “(kill your darlings, kill your darlings, even when it breaks your egocentric little scribbler’s heart, kill your darlings.)”

18. The research shouldn’t overshadow the story. “Remember that word back. That’s where the research belongs: as far in the background and the back story as you can get it.”

19. You become a writer simply by reading and writing. “You learn best by reading a lot and writing a lot, and the most valuable lessons of all are the ones you teach yourself.”

20. Writing is about getting happy. “Writing isn’t about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid or making friends. Writing is magic, as much as the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink.”

What do you think, Veeky Forums?

I agree with what he says. Not a King fan but the foundation of producing any volume of quality work is the same.

>the water is free

>avoid adverbs
Disagree, just use them carefully.
>no more than three months
Fuck off.

>14. Stick to your own style
What's funny is many writers can't find their own style until they fail emulating the style of those they admire.

yup

>sticking to a schedule
>bad

>The water is free. So drink.

Writers' Top 20 Rules for Stephen King

1. Stop writing about underage gangbangs. "That shit is disgusting."

2. Actually have a third act in mind before you start writing. "It's very important to avoid ruining dozens of novels by having absolutely garbage endings."

3. Get laser eye surgery. "Those glasses make you look like a pedophile."

4. Stop being a Maine Democrat scumbag. "Christians aren't villains, and Americans have the right to own guns, you faggot."

5. Stop writing. "You haven't written a decent book in like...thirty years."

>>no more than three months
>Fuck off
>reeee im so talented im outside space-time, i can present my work past deadline and they will receive it anyways because im special and unique, im outside formal conventions okay

It's not so bad just in a vaguely general way. Although

>10. You have three months. “The first draft of a book---even a long one---should take no more than three months, the length of a season.”

is clearly not meant for ambitious writers or if you're trying to create something really monumental and enduring. Sure, there's geniuses like Faulkner who wrote a book like As I Lay Dying in a dumb short amount of time, but then there's Goethe who worked on Faust on and off for like 20 years or more, and it's accepted as one of the greatest works of literature of all time.

>Goethe who worked on Faust on and off for like 20 years or more
How long was it for the first draft?

>18. The research shouldn’t overshadow the story. “Remember that word back. That’s where the research belongs: as far in the background and the back story as you can get it.”
I once read somewhere that if you want to put information in your story, write TK and go back to it later. Research breaks the flow of writing. I also started doing this if I just don't know what object to put in the sentence, or whatever. It really helped me out a lot.

>Americans have the right to own guns
but they shouldn't

>11. There are two secrets to success. “I stayed physical healthy, and I stayed married.”
t.alcoholic cocaine addict

>his wife once said to give King the ultimatum, whether to leave her or kick the addiction
he's sober and functioning without it now

Which rule has you wrap a story up with spiders?

Stephen king is absolute dogshite. His Twitter is worse. He recently called gun owners 'second amendment extremists'

stephen king hasn't wrote anything good and the books he reads are YA tier
kinda like that paper towns guy

>taking writing advice from stephen king

actually i like his 3 months idea... i have been putzing around for 4 years on a "novel-esque" thing i'm writing and its only getting traction recently. i think i will give this idea a try.

stephen king though not produce masterpiece,

the shit after shit he produce still sells and provide a fortune for himself

his fiction is more about plot than it is a serious literature works, hence the film after film adaptation of his works and whatnot

But films from his books typically stink.

hes saying having a loving wife saved his life.

>But films from his books typically stink.
yep.

but still, this is a dramatization of his works that i enjoyed the last time i listened to it, great voice work:
youtube.com/watch?v=3p09pXnBXJU

>writing off passive voice with a sex metaphor

absolutely based (just kidding lmao)

He's writing for prospective fellow lowbrow book sweatshops.

You all dog King but how many stories have you even finished, much less published? BOOL! The end

TK?

>I stayed married
Haha no problems here am I right fellas

There are ten subcategories of adverbs. Did he mean to omit only adverbs of manner? Like the ones that end in "-ly" and others such as "very"? Per his vague rules, we can't use "here," "yesterday," etc. Does this apply to dialogue too? What if you've got young characters? Dialogue tends to use a lot of adverbs.

Following King's guidelines will only make you a coookie-cutter writer. Who the fuck thinks that it'd be a good idea to spend only three months on a novel? Everyone has their own routine. Imagine if King told Crichton, Fitzgerald, Proust, or Hugo this shit. Number 14 is the dumbest rule of all, yet it's his best one since it contradicts everything else he's said and going to say.

Number five also contradicts the three rules before it. The fuck's this guy on?

>just use them carefully
You have just used an adverb!!!

>The research shouldn’t overshadow the story
Neal Stephenson should have heeded that advice for "Seveneves". The whole fucking book read like synopsis of about three years worth of research about space technology and orbital mechanics.

I like adverbs, especially after said.

I can't find the Bill Bryson quote I'm thinking of, but to paraphrase it, "nearly everyone I know is perpetually 'writing a book'. The difference between a writer and a non-writer is that the writer actually sits down and writes."