Recent Haul Thread

I am in seventh heaven. $25 dollars was all this cost at a local flea market. Rate and post recent hauls.

Bump

You got ripoed off. All should be $1 each.

Sexus and the Ice-Shirt look interesting.
I wouldn't go as far to say I got ripped off. Some were $1.

Lately picked up both Krasznahorkai's War and War and Seiobo There Below. Been in a real Krasznahorkai mood lately. I'll probably get The Last Wolf and Herman and The World Goes on next.

The Reivers, NOICE

Is it decent?

my favorite Faulkner, hands down

I haven't read any Faulkner yet, would you advise reading it before The Sound and the Fury?

What sort of flavour is Kras?

absolutely, The Reivers is Faulkner at his most accessible. Just be ready for a power gap in difficulty.

>What sort of flavour is Kras

Really depressing, not a lot of good happens in his novels it's just people wondering aimlessly without goals, God or direction or really anything to believe in.

Since buying a collection of old Reader's Digest hardbacks, I've abstained from buying any more books. Of those hardbacks, I've recently read The Grapes of Wrath and Three Men In A Boat, if anyone would like to discuss them here?

Did you take this photo during an earthquake?
>top row
2/5 for Rye and Magic Mountain, Tao Of Pooh I have heard lacks substance
>Franny and Zooey
I have heard that it is better than catcher in the rye, I suppose you will find that out soon

Unfamiliar with those, sorry.

That's a steal, OP. Don't feel bad at all. Start with Baudolino, you'll love it.

I read the Reivers when I was 15, and it was so bad, like twelfth rate Mark Twain, that I haven't been able to convince myself to read anything else he wrote, even though I know from what other authors I admire have said that he must be good. I can't imagine the writer of the Reivers writing anything that isn't heavily mediocre.

>luhmann
You've been memed, son, sorry to say that. Skip it and save yourself a lot of time. Reading Luhmann is becoming part of a cult and there will be no turning back.

dumb opinion

Thoughts on Farina? Could never get into him

>Virtual Light

never even heard of that one

I've had a desire to get into Barthelme ever since I read The School. still havent gotten around to it

Does my new-ness show?

nope you are posting pointless pictures of things related to the theme of the board like a veteran

SUCCESS!

you can bin most of those

Can you be more specific or are you just going to tell me that most are garbage?

only costed me 5 bucks, most likely the best deal i'll get for anything in my life kek

Oh shit, nice

I love Mysteries. It's a strange psychological novel.

Siddhartha is ok but worth the read. Huck Finn is great and so is the Invisible Man. Dunno about the rest.

Care to expand?

no

*cost

Ordered a copy of Fagles’ Odyssey and nearly the entire thing is covered in useless highlights

"you’re a reckless fool’ insult....
Glad they cleared that up

"reckless fool" INSULT

Fuckin brilliant lol

Triggered

Just look at this shit

???????

>pink color
>girly handwriting
>doesn't know a common word
this was owned by a middle school girl if i learned anything from marathoning Sherlock

7th heaven? more like 7th grade

nice >haul faggot why dont you post it on booktube and then go fuck yourself.

hey guys welcome to my february 2018 book haul XD

why so sour, skittles?

I've read Grapes of Wrath last summer and I loved it, it's very sentimental but also a great aesthetic experience. I thought that the ending was perfect and really fitting to the overall tone of the narrative.
Is Three Men In A Boat as funny as people make it out to be? Worth a read?

Recently got a copy of Tao Te Ching, it was interesting enough, are there any additional books on Taoism that I should read?

im both keking and butthurt, where do you guys buy books that have these autistic notes?
only time ive ever gotten notes in a book were on separate pages that were put inside the book (pic)
never found a book with notes in the pages like that, ordering online or in bookstores
do people think that their own thoughts on texts are so important that they jot them down in the actual text?

I have a copy of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight where the intro has been uselessly underlined and the poem section of the book looks completely unread. strange.

Zhuangzi, Teachings of Lietzi

probably gave up reading when his hand got sore

>if the image on the spine is to be believed, the wordsworth editions all have banal covers
I'm vaguely disappointed none of them have that Wordsworth touch that only a lazy or frustrated intern can provide.

redpill me on Luhmann

I got my Confessions of St Augustine for free while working in a charity warehouse. It has multiple sections underlined and highlighted before I underlined them.

I feel bad for you and all, but this is hilarious

He's not wrong, senile Faulkner is dreadful.

I hate you. Books are so expensive in Argentina.

Lots of good stuff in there, user. How much did it cost?

Thanks user. Each book was £2.50 or less. Been building it up over the last few months.

I picked Blindness randomly from a top 100 chart. And I forget why I got the Dickinson poems. Hopefully they’re good. I’ve read sci-fi/fantasy exclusively so I’m trying to get into some of that “intellectual” stuff.

your stupid

I didn’t realize I spent $67 on these two until I signed the receipt

I sometimes write small notes in the margins. But I only do that for books I plan on keeping.
Sometimes comparing or contrasting ideas from other writers. Not autistically but if something really strikes me.

So crisp

These look amazing

If I remember it correctly, that translation of Siddhartha is terrible.

Great haul. I enjoyed Baudolino more than any other Eco. very very comfy.

I have that same exact collection of Emily Dickinson poems. Most don't make an impression but every once in a while you stumble upon a poem that hits you like a train.

Sometimes it's required in high school classes. Teachers always forced me to annotate so I wrote in random bullshit just like that.

Damn really? It was the cheapest one I could find so I just chose this one. Also it's the one on the Veeky Forums started chart.
Yeah I can completely feel it. It's very weird not picking up a book that doesn't have magic.

I figured it would be a good intro to poetry. Any other poetry books you have that you enjoy?

>Is Three Men In A Boat as funny as people make it out to be? Worth a read?
The humour is very English, very 'quaint', and I can see it being an acquired taste. I personally laughed a lot

What's your thoughts on the Farina book? Been considering getting that book for awhile now but never got around to getting it.

>signing a receipt
>$67

Where do you live?

Need to get Laszlo's works sometime, I fucking love Bela Tarr films

hey dude you gotta start somewhere

Cool stuff, user, where did you find it?

Looks like it was written by a womeme

Nice stuff

I bought two George V. Higgins books for a £1 in a charity shop. Thank you to the now presumably dead previous owner for keeping them in sterling condition.

>67$ for those 2
wew

Same in Colombia. I just bought a kindle and download a lot of books which otherwise would make me go broke.

They cost that much on Book Depository, not the worst deal ever. Are they used though?

>2061: odyssey three
In my opinion the absolute worst one in the series. please tell me you at least about the other three

They are not

Moments before I bought them the cashier was loudly saying how awful F. Scott Fitzgerald is

Got screwed with that copy of Spengler, it's an abridged edition.

Sometimes you don't find anything good at the library bookstores in Canada, but other times you make out nicely. I mean, the Lessing short stories, the Coetzee, and Confucius aren't too unusual, or even the Thomas King, but Marguerite Duras' book on writing? A rarely-seen Philip K. Dick? Skvorecky? Maria Chapdelaine? A collection of American black folk tales? A perfect hardcover of Tove Jansson's early memoirs?? And I got to upgrade my Louis Riel to the anniversary edition. All for the price of one new paperback. This was a decent morning.

I got those at a library booksale for $1 each. Same editions. Find the cheap places, user.

how's the Tao of Pooh

A great haul.

Yeah I've read the first two and enjoyed them both, so going into the third with an open mind

Nice stack.

Forget Siddartha, get Thus Spake Zarathustra

huckleberry finn is a masterpiece of american literature. Siddhartha is a great entry point to hesse! Blindess is supposed to be good. not sure about the rest. Great start!

I get most of my books from thrift stores; goodwill, salvation army, dav, etc. Most times, i hardly pay a dollar a book. If i pay more, it's at a used book store.

I usually check the ones with a closer proximity to school campuses first, in order to find the more expensive ones i want.

I found a graphic novel of walking dead for a buck at a goodwill today because it's a paperback, even though it says $59.99 on the back. I'll take it to Book Exchange tomorrow and get roughly $20 store credit for it, i mostly do this with Rowling's hard back shit.

I run into this all the time. I actually decided to start documenting it today. If i see something protruding from a book I'm autistically curious.

In addition to inscriptions (ocasionally the autho's), random scriblings, highlighted texts, and doodles; I've found everything from photos, money, recipts, boarding passes, and hand written notes (which are my favorite, sometimes i make up stories).

Can you tell me about Darnell Veeky Forums?

Lol too late, I'm like 20 pages away from finishing it. BUT I'll definitely look into Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Is it a good starting point for Nietzsche. If not is there a better starting point?
Thanks, I'm pretty excited to dive into all of these, I'm usually reading scifi/fantasy stuff so I thought I'd try these out to diversify my reading experience.

mustve paid with a creditcard. or its a small store that actually makes people sign for debit purchases

Not him, but it's a great way to learn the Tao. Fun and cute as expected but also very clearly stated. I found it nice to have Pooh as a frame of reference, because of how Eastern philosophy can sometimes be wispy and ill-defined to my poorly acclimated mind. The Te of Piglet is also worth checking out.

pic related.

I also bought Plato's Laws and Timaeus and Ptolemy's Almagest!