What are some novels with great prose in english? Like sublime prose that you could read for 6-12 pages an hour...

What are some novels with great prose in english? Like sublime prose that you could read for 6-12 pages an hour, subvocalising everything, rereading everything and still really enjoy reading it. Prose that is compact but infinitely expansive.
Yes, yes english is a shit barbaric language etc

The Scarlette Letter

The Bible

The Lord of the Rings

LOTR is shit-tier writing.
Try:
Lord of the Flies (some argue this is the finest novel written in English)
Blood Meridian

Nonfiction:
Try The Peregrine
Fantastic use of the English language

the prose in this novel is sublime

Thanks for the chuckle.

Angle of Repose

PG Wodehouse
Gibbon

>reading prize winners
LMAO

If you want to read like that, aren't you better off just reading some poetry? You could definitely slowly read, then re-read, then think about Shakespeare's Sonnets for example. Maybe even something like Paradise Lost would fit the bill.

Titus groan,

I'm too much of a pleb for poetry
Novels are more immersive with its characters and such, whereas poetry is too fleeting and I'm too much of a brainlet

Tristram Shandy

>Tolkien
>shit-tier
Only said by those that haven't read him. The only thing Tolkien is mediocre at is plot. Tolkien is a fantastic poet. King of wanderlust.
>Still round the corner there may wait
>A new road or a secret gate
>And though I oft have passed them by
>A day will come at last when I
>Shall take the hidden paths that run
>West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

To the Lighthouse

Holy Baader-Meinhof. I had never in my life heard of this book until I read the last chapters of Storm of Steel no more than an hour ago, and now you mention it.

Just try all the usual suspects:

Fitzgerald (Great Gatsby)
Joyce (Ulysses)
Peake (Gormenghast trilogy)
Nabokov (Lolita)
Updike (Try a short story, say Wife-Wooing)
Golding can write powerfully and evocatively although not exactly beautifully (try Free Fall).
Dylan Thomas's prose has some of the qualities of his verse - Under Milk Wood is a must-read; Portrait of the Artist As A Young Dog is pretty good
Joseph Heller (Catch 22; Something Happened) is a good antidote to the minimalist style because he puts the adjectives on with a trowel and it still works brilliantly
P.G.Wodehose, if you can get into him, has a wonderful Mozartian lightness and playfulness.

Check out McCarthy (Suttree and Blood Meridian especially) and Nabokov

>Lord of the Flies (some argue this is the finest novel written in English)
Nah. Golding is alright but he doesn't have a very unique or distinctive prose style, the touch of strangeness and difference from other stylists that makes a stylist truly great. Also a bit purple, from what I remember.

Finished Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad today. Sublime prose that will make me ponder for a while. Definitely check it out OP.

Alexander Pope

>king of wanderlust
thanks 12 year old girl

Seconding this.

Also Nightwood by Djuna Barnes and practically anything from Pater.

Yes, if you want smooth lapidary beauty in English prose, read Pater The Renaissance and De Quincy Confessions.

Seconding this