Gravity’s rainbow

So I just started this book. Never read a Thomas Pynchon book in my life, and I have been reading for 1 hour and I finally got to page 13. What am I in for. Should I really read this?

Should I really read this? Only if you gain some type of enjoyment from it. My first Pynchon and where I would recommend anyone to start is Crying of Lot 49.

Horrible advice. His least enjoyable work. Great way to get people to not want to read the P man

Yes. Don't expect it to be easy, it will be a drag at some points.

okay friendo, it's easily his most accessible and least overwhelming work. pretty much a filter because if they don't like/can't get that then they shouldn't waste their time with the meatier stuff

the only Pynchon I have ever read was half of Against the Day when I was 14. I decided never again

don't listen to these pynchlets. Start With The V.

It's the least enjoyable thing he has published. Great way to start is reading something like Inherent Vice, which is easier than most of his work and still very fun to read.
I like recommending people go IV - V. - GR.

You should only read Gravity's Rainbow if you have an IQ above 130. Otherwise just turn back now.

double dubs of truth

you can't see it, but I am aiming my best Dr. Hilarius face in your general direction

How can you tell the difference between writing that's hard because it's unimaginative navel gazing that pseuds like because it mentions math and science, and writing that's hard because it's going to teach you the Secrets of the Universe and thrill you with its goofy sense of humour?

Hey whatever happened to that GR reading group?

Is this true because I actually do and was considering reading it

>tfw your iq is 129
anybody need a copy

What, AtD is for my money best place to start with Pynchon, not to opaque, large cast of characters and conspiracies and just a fun ride all over.

GR should be what people should end with Pynchon.

no youre not ready you babby

I just didn't like it. Thought it was retarded tbqh

I probably would have gotten absolutely nothing out of it at 14 but perhaps you were just a prodigy. I was still reading Ender's Game and shit.

Infighting, then fragmentation, then seppuku

Its dense and esoteric at times but being 14, anything that isn't about tits and explosions are pretty retarded

obviously was not meant as an actual criticism, I barely remember it, I just remember not liking it, whereas other books I read around the same time I liked, even if they went over my head.

I have heard people compare Pynchon to Ulysses on here which makes me even more sure I wouldn't like it because I only liked maybe 2 chapters in Ulysses

People just make that comparison because Ulysses is also dense, lengthy and full of allusions

Agreed. Lot 49 is Pynchons worst.
Inherent Vice is accessible and enjoyable.
Pynchon and Joyce are VERY different. Ulysses is nothing like anything Pynchon has written.

read deleuze

Gravity's Rainbow? More like Gravity's Rainbow Cookbook!