Is New Sincerity just the most insidious and subtle form of irony? Was Davey boy wrong about everything?

Is New Sincerity just the most insidious and subtle form of irony? Was Davey boy wrong about everything?

The only truly sincere American author has been Salinger, whom was obviously David principal influence, although he was too insincere to ever admit it. IJ is a secularized, postmodernist take on the Glass family.

I think it should be "who"*. I'm not sure. Sorry. I'm not Americanian.

No. It's just hard to go against irony without using it yourself. We can't just pretend that irony doesn't exist. It has to be addressed somehow. Imagine it as a debate with Trump. How does one tackle that?

you say true things that you actually believe. Jesus christ m8

Yeah. That worked out fine, didn't it?

worked out fine when for what? That's how you act without irony, ie. with sincerity. You do and say what you honestly think is right

Yes, it should be "who," your correction is proper.

But if it's a post-ironic world, you have to address irony somehow. You can't just say that it's just nonsense and move on. That's why I give Trump as an example. You can't be like him because he'll be better at it and you can't ignore him because he's still there.

Irony is inherent in human behavior, and people were aware of this before the postwar era. It's another form of trying to recapture an innocent past that never existed, a juvenile dilemma of realizing the world is different than you thought, and the shame from realizing that everyone else already knew this but didn't have the heart to tell you.

>You can't just say that it's just nonsense and move on
can't you? what's the point in thinking about it

DFW is like the Simpsons of lit.

That's a funny thought experiment. Bet 99% of the people on this board think they could make Trump look silly in a debate but when those cameras are rolling and he keeps turning the dumbest shit around on you and you have to appeal to an audience with of IQ 95 I would honestly get creamed

Did Dave lift? I mean damn what's with them forearms.

Is this ironic or is your sincerity showing?

nah its just that manlet thing where they look swole cuz the mass is all compressed on a dinky frame

wait lol is that why he's always crouching in photos hoping no one notices how short he is

He did actually lift though

There's like an entire chapter in IJ about training for tennis where his self insert gets swole

well he was big on tennis so i assume he worked out, but also notice his arms on his knees pushing the flesh out making it look bigger, god he was such an insecure piece of shit

>The only truly sincere American author has been Salinger

What the fuck are you talking about. That slimey Jew never gave an honest look at himself in his life