They could've dunked it in a cube of molten iron and just carried that around instead, right?

They could've dunked it in a cube of molten iron and just carried that around instead, right?

I will give you this, this is probably the only “why didn’t they just blah blah blah to the ring before taking it to Mordor” that I felt has some merit, but at the same time the entire concept is basically nitpicking.

haha yeah book is ruined now

Why can't you be more like this user?
He's better than you in just about every way.
I'd be embarrassed to have no single quality that another person wasn't greater at.

Would've been very awkward and heavy to carry around.

Don't forget:
- If the ring remains un-destroyed, Sauron wins anyway.
- The only way to destroy the ring is to reach the volcano in Mordor.

Attempting to get into Mordor with the ring in a cube of iron would be harder, especially seeing as when they got into Mordor with the story, the hobbits lost everything they were carrying with them, and in the end were too tired to carry anything at all.

Finally, we should probably note that using the ring saved Frodo's life/stopped the ring falling into another's hands several times

Oh and probably the most important consequence, forcing Frodo to do that and THEN carry it around with him, would likely have driven him insane

Well why not just have the eagles carry it then?

>Why didn’t they do X?

They succeeded so who cares?

>Attempting to get into Mordor with the ring in a cube of iron would be harder,
Wouldn't have to be a big cube, would it?
The point is just to keep a finger from going through a circle.

How hard is it for people to understand that the outcome is the sum of all the events leading up to it and that to change even something minute would bring about a different outcome?

Then they would have certainly all died and Sauron won. They had to use the ring at times to get it to Mordor. The ring continuing to exist at all however useless guarantees Sauron's victory mind you.

You didn't find a plothole.

Well the point of writing well is to avoid these little holes, y'know? It's fun to find them.

Like, why did Buzz play dead with all the other toys when he thought himself real? Especially when its established that there are "rules" that as toys they could break if they wanted to.

>They had to use the ring at times to get it to Mordor.
When did it make the journey easier instead of tougher? All I need is one example.

Sam used it to rescue Frodo from Cirith Ungol for one.

Frodo also used it to escape Boromir in his madness and that was what allowed the Breaking of the Fellowship, which was extremely essential to their eventual success.

/thread

Magic or some shit

It's a moot point, because people aren't computers calculating millions of sceanorios. You can just say "they didn't think of it" for every loophole.

Gandalf's advice though, was never to put the ring on.

>Wouldn't have to be a big cube, would it?
>The point is just to keep a finger from going through a circle.
How can it be /thread if there was a response that destroyed it?

Right here: >Wouldn't have to be a big cube, would it?
>The point is just to keep a finger from going through a circle.

>You can just say "they didn't think of it" for every loophole.
I thought of it as I was listening to it being read. And the time that it took for me to think of it, was a lot shorter than the time spent on their journey. Many hours would be spent on horseback or on foot, wondering if there was a way to balm the temptation to put it on. They know the ring is indestructible. They know Mount Doom could melt iron. They know the ring must not be worn. A small enough cube of metal (or even glass, does it matter?) to contain the volume of the entire ring would be the ideal way to keep a finger from going through it.

John Connor as a boy asked the Arnold terminator "Why doesn't he just turn into a big bomb and come get me?" like immediately and got an explanation why not. These are the things kids think about. This is how kids perform acrobatic feats to get to the top shelf and eat the cookies.

>Gandalf's advice though, was never to put the ring on.
So what? Gandalf also thought it was a good idea to wait 13 years while Middle Earth went to hell before acting.

I think that serves my point, not yours.
13 years and no one thought of an iron cube?

Also, put aside rank. "Well he was wrong about this and that, therefore who cares what they say!" Gosh I hope we have your sort of logic around in a time of trouble that needs coolheadedness. This never backfires.

The two capital reasons not to put it on is that the Nazgul got compass-pointed to the wearer immediately, and that you're quickly dominated by it.

Just guard your cookies better next time, you fool. It's not the cookies fault you couldn't hide them well enough. It's not infants can teleport.

>fantasy
>not ruined straightway

the eagles are powerful arrogant cunts, giving them access to the ring is a really, really bad idea

>I think that serves my point, not yours.
>13 years and no one thought of an iron cube?
No, because the cube idea makes it impossible to get the ring to Mordor and destroy it. If the ring is not destroyed Sauron will conquer all of Middle Earth even if he doesn't possess the ring.

>No, because the cube idea makes it impossible to get the ring to Mordor and destroy it.
Why?

If you're referring to "too heavy" that's been addressed. It would not be.

Ok OP, responding to the claim that you apparently "destroyed" my responses Firstly, you have no response to my pointing out the most obvious and important issue of how taking the ring from Frodo (he wouldn't willingly let this happen) and putting it in an iron cube, then giving it back, would drive him insane. He'd be obsessed with melting it down so he could touch it again, that's the kind of power the ring exerts.

Secondly, the eagles
1) why do you think the eagles would agree to do this? it's not their problem. They only ever agree to help Gandalf *rarely* because they owe him one. They owe him, personally. They don't owe middle-earth.

2) how do you know it wouldn't corrupt them, as it corrupts everyone else except Tom Bombadil?

3) Assuming the eagles agreed to take the ring to Mordor and somehow were uncorrupted, they would obviously be seen well in advance of getting to Mordor by Sauron's spies, and they would be intercepted by the Nazgul (all 9 of them acting in concert) and destroyed.

Yeah but Boromir died