Hey Veeky Forums. I don't come here too often but I wanted to ask for personal opinions.

I have always heard a lot about the infamous 1984 by George Orwell, with a large legacy and well known. I have finally gotten around to reading it, and wanted to know, did you all actually like it?

I feel like this has been pushed up to a classic's standards, but after I read it, it was incredibly boring and hard to slog through, and not even in an intended sense. The story itself was creative, but I felt as though the writing and pacing dragged on and on and on, and was just so hard to sit through.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I felt like it is over hyped, or maybe I just don't have good taste in books. Did you like the book? If so, why?

>read babys first novel
>thinks it was boring
>didn't explain in detail what he actually meant
>only used broad feelings to explain his experience reading it
>wants confirmation of other peoples opinion to conform to his own

The book was okay. It was a quick read. It was simply written, and for the time it had interesting themes and twists. Now its just a relic of the past, with many other books doing what it did better.

Go read more books and further shape your opinion. Go read papers about the book. Go do something beyond ask such a simple question on Veeky Forums.

There are some books where it's valid to say that it was tough to read through and slogged on (it doesn't have to be a criticism necessarily). 1984 really isn't one of those books May I ask what the last 3 books you read before 1984 were? If you're not used to reading literature (rather that just books) it may just be an adjustment pain so to speak.

K, guess I can't ask for other people's opinions to see why they liked a thing to help understand better.
I get what he was going for, but the writing was something I didn't like.

Nah, I thought it was pretty boring until the last third or so when it got fantastic. I was quite young when I read it but the brainwashing at the end was absolutely horrifying to me, and seemed to say a lot about the human psyche.

Oh fuck off, at least this guy has read a book and wants to talk about it unlike most of Veeky Forums.

It is an over hyped book yes, but I still liked it.

I have read a few Dystopian Novels before, like the Giver, Divergent, Humans Bow Down, some of the surface ones, outside of that just some fantasy like Prudence, Throne of Glass, Pax, and non fiction like Unbroken. I never was too much of a fan personally Dystopian novels as I feel the concept and setting is creative, but all of them are very formulaic in my opinion, but it seems to be getting more popular.

Why must you be so shitty about your response, mah dood?

This isn't even OP, but you're just so unnecessarily snooty and elitist, it bears pointing out. OP was being honest and candid, and clearly distanced themselves from the idea that they had any sort of "expert opinion."

Don't be such a dick.

just finished this underrated gem yesterday and holy shit

You liked it? What about it did you feel set it apart from other books?

Quality post about 1984 senpai.

user, tbdesu I did like it quite a lot. It's pretty boring at times but worth it, especially at the end. Unlike you I thought Veeky Forums underrated it, just like they do with everything that catches their attention, the damned hipsters. My 3rd favorite of this year till this point.
Don't bother with the normalnigger, user, he's the worst of all scum that populates this board. His fucking brainwashed taste, the elitist responses for the sake of adhering to the "patrician side" with all his force by denouncing the "middlebrow and the plebs". Fucking scum.

I thought it was pretty good. One of the few classics i've read that are actually interesting.

Lol - yeah; tone policing. Whatevs. Sorry. It's sort of ironically on point, though, right?

kys

No, thank you :)

It was a decent novel, which is far more than I can say about BNW

Orwell was a Freemason. But you know, lit is pretentious makes fun of every book which is popular and not hard to read.

What is with these stupid trolls, this is not funny yo i know what ur doing u cholo

What was the point of Winston's precognitions about O'Brien?

>tone policing
>>>/tumblr/

No, you aren't supposed to ask for opinions on this board. You instead post your own opinions and disagree with other peoples, because that's healthy. Anything contrary is for the sheep on reddit.

I friggen loved it when I read it in highschool, kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. I vibed with the guy because at the time I too thought I was the only who "knew", plus the whole rebel against a repressive regime and philosophy digressions gave me a hard one

I think 2081 is way better tbqh

>pathologically butthurt committed "anti-elitist "
>calling others normalfags

Orwell always tried to make books easy for the uneducated... If you find this book hard to read you might aswell be a retard

You can't be butthurt and elitist at the same time, you stupid crap. Elitism implies taking a distance from what you disdain while butthurtness implies engaging with it directly. Moron. You don't seriously think that everybody who has said an insult in their life is an elitist, do you? Or were you just seeking for a proof of hypocrisy?

teen thread

Yeah, the metaphors were cool and still somewhat potent, but the actual book as a story wasn’t very good at all.

>it was incredibly boring and hard to slog through, and not even in an intended sense
are you from /tv/ or /mu/? maybe /v/?

>What a thread about literature on /Peterson/?!

>You're an elitist because you dislike plebs!
>No you're an elitist because you dislike people who dislike plebs!
>No you're an elitist because you dislike people who dislike people who dislike plebs!

The absolute state of Veeky Forums

You seem like a nice guy so I'm just going to say you're a pleb for thinking it was hard or a slog to read when it's such a short, simplistically written book.

Honestly I feel like it could have been more ambitious. I don't exactly like digressions into the technicalities of "muh bureaucracy!" like what Kafka had a tendency to do, and the sex-as-a-political-protest angle was okay, but I was just underwhelmed ultimately. The only moment I felt chilled is when his hideout in Charington's upper floor got raided. On the whole I think of the sinister dystopian, surveillance, open book-society that Zamyatin did it better in We, but I also feel We may have given me that impression because the mathematician angle privy to working on engineering a flight craft was an interesting angle to posit a possible escape, although in that focus it eschews with the control of language/control of thought angle that Winston was the vehicle for which as an issue is more pertinent in the 20th/21st century social milieu. So I guess it's something like We was more fantastical which I found more enjoyable, whilst 1984s foreboding is more relatable/applicable but lacks grandiosity to give it the punch that its reputation seemingly implies. I've read it twice and don't think I'd read it again because it's really not that special, we already live in complicity to the surveillance state and I don't have nostalgia for poking at a vericose ulcer, so it does nothing for me. It's not like glass houses (We again) which is actually chilling because it's a personal violation of privacy as opposed to the impersonal bureau/technocratic violation of privacy wherein your data is just being saved all the time to some server farm in Ohio. One has to wonder how Orwell would've rewritten his book if he were to experience the Soviet wet-dream of surveillance-capable technology we have today, it probably would've been a much more interesting book.

Thanks user. And it's not that I had trouble understanding the book, more like it was hard to sit through because it was uninteresting. Some things were too on the nose, as you said. I found that portion a nice segment of the book too, the one with the hideout being found. Perhaps it was just written for a more settled audience who likes slower paced plot, but once again, I am no expert on books.

Something that I didn't like about it was the bit where Winston revives the book about the secret rebellion from O'Brian. I think it was forced exposition and could've been weaved throughout the story a little more rather than a single lore drop.

Fuck off BNW was better