How to start with the postmoderns?

Memes aside, is he a good place to start with the postmoderns?

I'm really attracted by the ideas of postmodernism but I also really want to kill myself. Will his work end me? I heard him say that IJ was meant to be sad but people found it more funny than anything else. Maybe before jumping into IJ one should start with his essays to put the whole into context. Should I start with Derrida or Foucault instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mattbucher/status/923375280932126720
fr.de/kultur/literatur/david-foster-wallace-unendlicher-spass-unallein-und-ungestresst-a-735091
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

where did you get this photo? i've never seen it

lmfao he looks a fat female english teacher

DFW is fucking garbage. Foucault and Derrida are not fiction are not at all a good place to start without a background. You can still do it but I really doubt you will get much of it.

What are you doing with a Wallace this rare when you haven't even read The Jest?

that's the second rarest dfw photo I know of.

R A R E D F W
A
R
E
D
F
W

where did you get this pic?

Start with Nietzsche, then read Heidegger and Deleuze's books on him.

D.T. Max commenting on the rareness of the Wallace in this twitter exchange
twitter.com/mattbucher/status/923375280932126720

he has a tiny little hole in his lips.

I don't really care for fiction, I just want to start somewhere

It's all yours my friend :^)

Start with Lot 49

this german site dates it 1997

fr.de/kultur/literatur/david-foster-wallace-unendlicher-spass-unallein-und-ungestresst-a-735091

>don't really care for fiction
Then why do you want to read IJ
Just read Gravity's Rainbow if you want pomo fiction masterpiece. Is the best of the meme trilogy too.

Start with
>Kant
>Nietzsche
>Kierkegaard
>Freud
>Marx
>Hegel
Continue with
>Heidegger
>Saussure
>Bataille
>Klossowski
>Blanchot
>Hyppolite
>Bergson
End with
>Foucault
>Deleuze
>Lyotard
>Perniola
Further readings
>Agamben
>Derrida
>Sloterdijk

I guess I'll go into Nietzsche first then, it was on my list anyway. Then follow along with those Thanks for the comprehensiveness.

If On a Winter's Night a Traveler is fun and light (but still quality) pomo fiction. Might be a better place to start than a chronically depressed author if you already want to off yourself. Depends on what aspects of postmodernism interest you, though.

as someone who just started reading nietzsche with no background, you can't really start reading nietzsche with no background and expect to get more than 50% of what he writes. you have to go deeper

Isn't DFW new sincerity? Or am I just a retard?

No, he was a smug and ironic Gen X nihilist, but he knew it was killing him. He wanted to be New Sincere if that makes sense.

>second rarest
Which one is the rarest DFW photo?

heh what do you think i am some kind of sucker?

Dave would want you to share it.