How do you feel about people destroying books? I joined a random Facebook group and saw this posted...

How do you feel about people destroying books? I joined a random Facebook group and saw this posted. The book is evidently a collection of stories of popular fairy tales through the monster's point of view? Wouldn't you expect it to get a bit disturbing? Seeing books all ripped up makes me sort of sad, even if they are trash.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9Uc3V8NxKWw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Destroying a Book cannot hurt a Text.

I bet she saw It (2107) and loved it.
This user gets it though, killing a man does not kill his ideology.

It can if you burn enough of them.

It depends how public his ideology is. If his ideology is private than killing him certainly does kill his ideology.

With some wide-spread texts it seems practically impossible now.

I mean I don't like it but in this age it does nothing, like you ripping a book apart is just going to draw attention to the content in it, then someone will just buy it on Amazon. In the past it was more of censorship because of how limited communication was back then compared to today
> tfw you will never read from the library of Alexandria

What time are we in ? Spanish inquisition ?
No such thing is or ever shall be in the future .
All hail the Internet

It would be hard, certainly not impossible. But in principle there's no reason why burning a book doesn't hurt the text.

It will just give the book more recognition.

>All hail the Internet
Just because your cringy little leddit brain lacks imagination doesn't mean everyone's does.

Some women deserve rape.

It's just free advertising. I guarantee you that her post had piqued at least one reader's interest. Same thing with banned books.

make some sense before using the meme arrows

I've been on this website for too long

All the recognition in the world is useless if you don't have any copies of the text.

ALL HAIL THE INTERNET LMAO THE FUTURE IS NOW WUBALUBADUBDUB *FARTS*

that is why i said "practically" meaning "in practice"
If you are going to wipe out (for example) all Shakespear's works from human history it's going to be hell of a job.
> tfw you will never read from the library of Alexandria
But some fragments or copies of it may be discovered in the future, who knows.

If it's a situation like yours, where some dumb woman can't handle feeling uncomfortable for a minute and responds hyperbolically then I don't care, people do dumb things.
If it's some political stunt it's also probably stupid but I'd have to evaluate it on a case by case basis.

You originally said
>Destroying a Book cannot hurt a Text.
which is a statement of principle. I was reaffirming the fact that your first post was wrong.

Copies?
Why even bother to print when digital exists ?

I don't think you actually understand his post user
Every book that has every existed has been digitally remastered on the internet. If someone really cared to find it, they will find it. Burning pages won't mean shit today when everything is in the cloud. Thus the internet is forever the guardian of information, regardless of its use

As long as they bought the book, I don't are if they burn mine. Buy 10 copies of each of my 10 paperback books and burn all 100 for all I care. I'll cry all the way to the bank.

Wow, you actually posted that.
What's next? Gonna call me a soyboy or does it end there, because you are making an ass of yourself.

Don't get so rigid on terms. We are having a conversation, not a dispute. I see your point and I agree that you can theoretically destroy all copies to make the initial text perish. I just can't see it happening anywhere in the future.
But what if they destroyed all servers and databanks?

then they are not destroying a text or book but an entire infrastructure, which is a very different question

I mean you'd have to basically plunge humanity into a dark age to do it but yeah it could be done in theory but in practice you'd get slapped instantly by Google security

Text-files could be selectively deleted from a cloud-server. So it's not that safe.
I guess the safest method to preserve a certain text is to launch it's copy to open space away from humanity. Don't ask me why would anyone do that though.

Jesus imagine being this guy.

"Burning a book" isn't literal, shit-for-brains. Copies of a text aren't necessarily physical, they can be in digital format as well. The original post that I was responding to said that burning a book cannot hurt a text. In principle this is wrong. If you were able to eliminate every single copy of a text then it would no longer be reasonable, so burning a book cannot be said to not hurt a text. The more books there are the harder it is to eliminate the text, so if you are burning a single book you are making it that much marginally easier for someone in the future to potentially eliminate every copy.

Now in practice obviously this would be much harder, but then that's not what the original post was about (yet that doesn't stop you faggots from interjecting into someone else's conversation with your own bullshit). Now feasibly I don't think you could say it's impossible, although it would definitely take a lot of time and investment. First obviously you'd have to destroy all of the physical copies, which alone would not be easy. As for digital copies, you would have to use something like Stuxnet that takes advantage of 0-day exploits, and even then you're not getting closed systems or custom built OS. Within reason you could probably deprive most of the public of the text, but you'd have to essentially eliminate the internet as we know it to even get close. But then this is not what my post was originally addressing, you interjected this at a later time.

>tfw you store books on a sql database only you know the name of and manually have to pull every entry whenever you want to read it
mite b cool

Why did so many gnostic texts survive? We have an entire library. They really failed at burning them all.

user, unless you could somehow raise up a revolution against the internet, you will never do it. What if someone had it downloaded onto their phone or kindle? Would you track them down and break their device? What if people became like monks and memorized it? You can't eliminate memories with some space age tech, but to have space age tech you need the Internet which you just deleted so you're fucked either way. There's no "but what if.." it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

There is only one way left to do this.
In order to completely annihilate a certain text you must annihilate EVERYONE WHO CAN VIRTUALLY READ IT.
Or a less edgy version: if you want to annihilate a text written in a certain language you just have to annihilate every native speaker of it and all 'codebooks' or other means to learn it.

But what if the sun...

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're using the actual definition of "literally". It is not literally impossible, that's just silly. If you can't imagine a future in which certain now-widespread texts are eliminated from history then all I can do is call you unimaginative.

What you're doing is thinking of many different ways that it wouldn't happen, which is not how you should be going about this. If there's even a single possibility that something could happen, then it is possible in principle. Our infrastructure and society as a whole are fragile, at some point in the future the internet will not exist. It really would not be hard to make it not exist now. You'd have to overturn society in order for it to happen, but then that was always true relatively. It wasn't easy to eliminate all copies of a text 1000 years ago and it's not now, but it's not was not and will never be impossible.

I know that in the digital age destroying book is of little harm, yet something about the act itself is deeply unsettling to me. No idea why.

That's a good thing user. It means you have yet to be deracinated and still feel a sense of aura from works of art.

user, you are underestimating society. We have literally survived some of the most stressful times in the history of the world, the Great Depression, world war 2, the Cold War. If anything could actually rattle the framework of civilization it would have to be on a cosmic level catastrophe, which isn't something a dickhead with a social media account could do. Thus it is, humanly ( I corrected it) impossible to eliminate information today. Humanity would have to cease existing for that to happen

Funniest way to trigger bookfags. Especially if you burn them.

A thousand years ago all you'd have to do was ransack a few monastaries and you could have effectively eliminated some texts. Maybe not the most important stuff with all kinds of copies, but there are plenty of things from antiquity that are either completely gone or have few surviving manuscripts.

depends how many you kill

>which isn't something a dickhead with a social media account could do
What the fuck does this have to do with anything I've talked about? Are you even reading my posts? What a waste of time.

And you could ransack my room and eliminate the text of my diary from the universe, but I think we'd all agree that misses the point.

You are saying if by some chance a person could delete everything about a certain text, the it could happen. I am say that that can not happen because there is no chance.
If you have any scenario pop into your mind please refer to this video
youtu.be/9Uc3V8NxKWw

>implying the Spanish Inquisition burned books
Leyenda negra strikes again

There are plenty of works that barely survived into modernity that are more important than some user's diary. They might not have thought some things were important enough to make any efforts toward preservation (people often did see fiction and poetry as frivolous diversions back then) but that doesn't put them on the same level of worthlessness as some user's diary, necessarily.

It is an old custom to burn bad books.

How would you know?
No one expects the Spanish inquisition

Heh that's a funny joke did you just make that up?

no

>It (2107)

source?

Of course, friend. It's from the hit TV-series "Monty python". He's a pretty cool guy

Oh it's foreign, does the comedy still work with subtitles?

Don't the majority of book burners (middle class housewives) own Kindles or Nooks? What good would burning physical books do?

Monty Python is a documentary series

PICKLE RICK!!!!!!!

Friendly reminder that book burnings are the most aesthetic experience.

Genuinely laughed.