Stopping midway through long classics

I find myself stopping midway through long classics, intent on returning to them in the future. Does anyone else do this? What helps you push through the entire book?

I read the entirety of moby-dick at a rate of 6-12 pages an hour from dec 2 to midway through january without moving on to another book. Just scan your eyes across the page really.

I just skip boring parts. Like I didn't read the war parts in War and Peace until my 3rd read of the book

That's kind of where I'm at right now in Anna Karenina. I'm around page 350. The Anna/Vronsky arch is nice, but the Levin arch is literally strengthening my faith in god, I'd love to read only the Levin arch

I read about half of AK and I just couldn,t get into it. I love War and Peace though, it's my favorite novel for escapism type reading

Could you please expand on that? I have both in my 'to read' list now.

War and Peace is just this immense sprawling narrative that is easy to get lost in. It is ultra-comfy that it takes place in 1805-1812(or whatever) among Russian nobles, because it is Tolstoy's sort of romanticized view of his parents or grandparents culture. The parts with the teenagers near the end of the second book are weirdly nostalgic. Tosltoy's long digressions are about his retarded philosophical views are also very enjoyable. The book is also basically naive, the good guys win in most situations, though there are some more realistic elements as well.

AK is just not like that at all. It is very streamlined and rather depressing and it takes place in the late 1800s which is immensely less comfy than the early 1800s. It is easily the way better written book though, as a finished work of art or whatever.

Thanks.

>Reading Count of Montecristo
>One of the best books I've ever read enjoying it thoroughly
>Stop reading because reasons
>It's been a year now because I don't want to restart but I also don't want to just continue where I left of, and I also kind of want to try to read it in French.

>Tosltoy's long digressions are about his retarded philosophical views are also very enjoyable
How's that enjoyable?

Same, I went for Anna and stayed for Lewin. There’s many moments of greatness thoughout the whole book though. Did you get to the race yet? That was one of the points where I just couldn’t stop reading. Also the last 200 pages are so good, I was getting chills like every 2 chapters

7 Pillars of Wisdom

It just fucking goes on and on.

I just keep them in my bag at all times so I can slowly chip away at them whenever I do feel like reading, mostly during commutes.
T. Been reading Crime and Punishment for 4 months

Reading several books at once will help with it. Imaging going to school and for six hours studying just one subject each day versus one hour of six subjects

I did get to the race part and it was exciting. And I do enjoy when we see how Alexey Alexandrovich thinks and behaves, because you feel bad for him in many ways, so you begin empathizing with him, and then Tolstoy shows ways that make it obvious why Anna would not love him, which makes me think very carefully about my own behavior.

These are helpful bits of advice, thanks

I literally did that with B Karamazov, read half of it (slowly) while I was working a busy summer job, finished the rest the following winter. Was a comfy experience would recommend.

>not liking the war parts

Many long classic novels were originally released in a serialized form. I don't think it would hurt if you took a break in between sections to read other things.

Where did you stop? I read that in two or so weeks recently. I also want to read it in French someday.

>The Growth of Soil
INFANTICIDE FOR EVERYONE

yes

>What helps you push through the entire book?

I'm currently reading The Fountainhead and realised that the writing style was utterly boring to me about 150 pages in. I just know that if I take a few steps at a time - even 8-10 pages a session - I soon find myself near the end and I'm always glad I persevered. I'll do a shorter book next, maybe an old favourite.

>not powering through novels
lazy pseuds get out REEE