Was Helen of Troy a hero or a villain?

Was Helen of Troy a hero or a villain?

>In Greek mythology, the first wine glass was molded from the breasts of Helen of Troy

What did they mean by this?

Villains hadn't been invented yet.

object

She was a McGuffin.

neither, she was just a thot

Victim maybe

Villain but these days adultery is all the rage so she's been memed into muh strong female hero

definitely a victim. she wears a veil, hates the shame it brought to her and menelaus, laments the deaths the war causes, and backtalks the goddess of love herself until Aphrodite threatens to kill her if she doesnt sleep with paris

>that part in The Odyssey where Odysseus' son is visiting Menelaus
>Menelaus gives a speech about how Helen was the victim because she was fooled by the gods

Is he the biggest Cuck in literature? He literally defends his wife cheating on him and making him fight a war for 10 years, plus an additional several years spent as a trader in Egypt

wtf he was KEK xD. praise drumbvs

Neither. Just an object.

Is this thread a fruit or a vegetable?

I just saw an episode of the Knick that had a character try this line on someone

Neither. She was what () and () said for all the reasons () described. Her and Andromache were absolutely tragic characters.

just a dumb fucking whore with a faggot husband and a gimp retard lover, i want to kill the 3 of them again if possible

She was the most beautiful woman in the world and she didn't want to go with Paris.

>fooled by the gods
what awful translation did you read? serious question

>she didn't want to go with Paris

Oh yeah?

She was a victim, and maybe a cheating wife, that's all. In no way could she be called a hero or a villain. She was snatched away from her husband, he got made because muh property/muh pride, called other rulers to help, they said "As long as we get loot," and off they went. She was the excuse for the invasion. It's like asking if Archduke Ferdinand was the hero or villain of WWI.

>Gorgias explains that, by nature, the weak are ruled by the strong, and, since the gods are stronger than humans in all respects, Helen should be freed from her undesirable reputation. If, however, Helen was abducted by force, it is clear that the aggressor committed a crime. Thus, it should be he, not Helen, who should be blamed. And if Helen was persuaded by love, she should also be rid of ill repute because "if love is a god, with the divine power of the gods, how could a weaker person refuse and reject him? But if love is a human sickness and a mental weakness, it must not be blamed as mistake, but claimed as misfortune" (Gorgias 32). Finally, if speech persuaded Helen, Gorgias claims he can easily clear her of blame. Gorgias explains: "Speech is a powerful master and achieves the most divine feats with the smallest and least evident body. It can stop fear, relieve pain, create joy, and increase pity" (Gorgias 31). It is here that Gorgias compares the effect of speech on the mind with the effect of drugs on the body. He states that Helen has the power to "lead" many bodies in competition by using her body as a weapon (Gumpert, 74). This image of "bodies led and misled, brought together and led apart, is of paramount importance in Gorgias' speech," (Gumpert, 74).

If Helen is free from blame, all things are permissible.

topkek, my fuckin' laterals

All Greece hates
the still eyes in the white face,
the lustre as of olives
where she stands,
and the white hands.

All Greece reviles
the wan face when she smiles,
hating it deeper still
when it grows wan and white,
remembering past enchantments
and past ills.

Greece sees unmoved,
God’s daughter, born of love,
the beauty of cool feet
and slenderest knees,
could love indeed the maid,
only if she were laid,
white ash amid funereal cypresses.

She dindu nuffin, so she's a MacNuffin.

Arguably, it was against her will since supposedly Helen went with Paris because Athena, Hera and Aphrodite asked him to decide which of the three was the most beautiful and Aphrodite promised him the most beautiful woman in the Peloponnese.

Or, as Sappho describes it, she left her life behind out of love and is truly the most villainous to have rejected the piety she should've had for her husband. Sappho makes Helen's decision seem very sympathetic, though.

I forgot to mention that Aphrodite, or each of the goddesses, bribed his vote with a different promise, I think Hera promised a kingdom and Athena, wisdom?
And Paris picked love, I think I would too.

This, she was no doubt a spectacle.

More like a plot element/ McGuffin.

faggot

No, she wasn't.

>paint a fat ugly tart and say that it's Helen
great job

God I wish I was ancient royalty and could kidnap beautiful women

she was a women and too the archetypal female role of damsel

All women are villains. I say this as a feminist.

Stop watching TV