ITT: Covers better than the books

>not liking NFU

Is 'Notes from Underground' a good translation of the Russian title?

I'm new to literature and try finding good deals on classics online but I feel like I'm having too many options. There's like 5 different variants of the same book both hardback and paperback, with different cover arts and some with "introduction by"
It's really frustrating. Should I just buy the most aesthetic variant?

Why not buy cheap, battered paperbacks then upgrade to a new hardback for your favorites?

You're right, I realized I'm gonna end up having to buy paperbacks sooner or later if this hobby takes off since money is limited. I'd rather read more than own more.

Yes, it is spot on.
It is translated word for word and retains its meaning.

Source: I am a professional Russian from Irkutsk

Reason I'm asking is because there's a newish acclaimed German translation which translates the title as 'Notes from the basement hole'(very literal, basically it's a cellar dump sort of).
Most other German translations use the German equivalent of underground (Untergrund).

With stuff like Russian lit that honestly depends on what translation you want. If the most aesthetically pleasing one has a subpar translation I wouldn't go for it.

disliked it that much, eh

really? I've got a copy from the 60s which is called Notes from the Underworld.

It's something like that in Romanian too

I usually go by translation first then by publisher. If an edition has a really shit cover I won't buy it but it's not really a huge deal.

Someone bought this for me as a gift. Not sure if I should cut off communication with this person or not.

the Hungarian translation is "Notes from the mousehole"

It's either Notes from Underground or Notes from the Underground. The Russian is ambiguous as to which it would be in English.

I've read that the most accurate is notes from beneath the floorboards or something like that

It's Underground in my language too. It's dank anyway, corresponds to today's "underground music".

what are you talking about you fucking retard

In spanish I’ve seen it as both ‘Memorias del subsuelo’ o ‘Apuntes del subsuelo’.

Well the music is underground and is listened by some minority of people, same as Notes from the Underground is read by a minority of people.

whoa

> lyrics

Was this meant as a space rock opera or something