How do I get into poetry?

how do I get into poetry?

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec
archive.org/details/ecloguesbookofpo00readrich
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go to the poetry section of your library and start opening books at random. You'll soon find something you enjoy. A title will catch your eye, you'll peep inside, then you'll stand there like an idiot with a big smile on your face until you've read the book cover to cover. It happened for me with Dorothy Parker.
But if you want some actual recs for plebs, check out Robert Service, Mary Oliver, John Betjeman.

The secret really is to read what you enjoy. That fosters interest which fosters understanding. The next poster is going to recommend Petrarch or some boring shit. Ignore him.

Step 1:
go to gen.lib.rus.ec
Step 2:
search for The Norton Anthology of Poetry
Step 3:
Get the book. Either the full or shortened version. Its up to you.
Step 4:
Read the book or skim through it until you read a poet's work that you enjoy.
Step 5:
Research the poet you've selected. Find out who influenced him or her. Read their work.
Step 6:
?????
Step 7:Enlightenment?

btw im currently somewhat interested in reading the poetry of Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller. hope that helps. gl hf

awesome, thanks for the advice!

also check out Poetry Reading Read, Herbert Edward, Sir, 1893-1968

Wallace Stevens Williams, William Carlos Poetry,

An Introduction to Poetry by Kennedy, X. J.

also found this: archive.org/details/ecloguesbookofpo00readrich

np

don't waste your time with anything before rupi kaur

1. Start with Walt Whitman
2. Once your body and spirit have been set free, go backwards and read some Romantic poets - Byron, Coleridge, Keats, Wordsworth
3. Now you're a grown boy and can enjoy some translated poetry, get some volumes of Baudelaire, Petrarch, Goethe
4. Proceed with the S H A K E S M A N

First you will have to learn German.

Based.
Libgen has only the shortened edition(epub). Does anyone have an epub/mobi/azw3 of the complete?

Wouldn't somebody with Parkinson's be hard to read? I guess that's why you put him last tho

ha.

Stephen Fry's "An Ode Less Travelled" is a fantastic start.

>Petrarch or some boring shit
Well, some people like Petrarch. He is the epitome of the "mfw no gf" lyricism that the average 4channer so enjoys. And while it is true that you should focus mainly on what you enjoy, exploration is important as well. If you're only willing to read literature that is akin to your tastes, you'll end up living in a tiny world.

Most important tip to appreciate literature: don't waste so much time masturbating over charts.

You don't. It's a dead art form.

try clicking the second mirror lad. then click open download. if you still have trouble let me know

i got into poetry through reading mostly authors who wrote in my native tongue.After a while i singled out a few styles i enjoyed,then i started the more acclaimed representants of that particular style,outside my country,which eventually led me to tracking each one the more "rudimentary" form of their poetry.It gets quite obssesive,i must add.

On b-ok.org you can easily find the pdf of the 5th edition. Then you can convert it I guess

As mentioned above, get good anthology.

getting a good grounding in poetic techniques is a really good idea. The norton anthology has a brief overview of metre, form , layout etc.

If you get the nporton anthology I would strongly recommend getting hold of The Poetry handbook by Lennard. It can be a bit dry but its very thorough and comprehensive . Lennard constantly references the 5th edition of the norton anthology through out.

Read a shit ton of poems from a collection/anthology. When you find one you like, look up the author and find more of their work. Look at their Wikipedia pages to find related/influenced/influenced by poets. Use sites like GoodReads. Most of all, enjoy it. Poetry isn't like slogging through Gravity's Rainbow, you can quickly enjoy and digest literature at your leisure.