Kindles

Is this worth it?? I always thought they were like normal tablets without the functionalities but I keep seeing people on the bus with kindles and they look almost like real paper desu
How /comfy/ is it compared to reading a real paperback?

Great. I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 and if you download your books off libgen or bibliotik, you can get most books for free.

Just make sure to get one with lighting (it's not backlighting though so you can read in the dark before bed without it fucking your shit up).

>Kindles can't read epubs
Not a problem because you should be using Calibre for your ebook library and that can automatically convert to azw3 or mobi.

A lot comfier because you can hold it in one hand, check dictionary definitions with one tap, adjust the backlight, adjust font size (even font face, margins, spacing), pirate ebooks rather easily, etc.
It doesn't tire the eyes (it does look like printed paper) and the battery lasts forever.
It doesn't matter whether you're reading a 1200 page long book or a shitty poetry collection with 5 haikus. The thing will always weight 500 grams.

If you're going to read fiction get one and save yourself lots of money.

Care to share your Bib username? A c/lit/ invited me 5-6 years ago and I'm still using it to this day.

It's pretty comfy, desu.
I have a kindle, and I use it all the time. It saves space and has backlighting.

I'm actually looking at the basic one without backlighting. I like the contrast better but I wonder if it's readable in all the normal conditions where a normal book would be readable (i.e. at night with the light on in my room), or is it more limited

I have the one w/o backlight, it's the same as reading a normal paper book, no glare in sunlight

Great for page-turners.
Download some genre-fiction for free and read it.
For difficult literature I still prefer physical books but for some 2nd rate elf novel you will only read once it is perfect.

I owned both models.
Get the one with backlight. You can adjust it to 0 if you feel like, and it will never have glare. I usually set it to 10-14 (max 20), because it makes the page look a brighter white.
Some OCD autist will tell you that even at 0 the light bleeds a little, but it's actually minimum.

Anything above 11 is really fucking bright

why do I get the feeling that Amazon made this thread to shill

Paranoia.
Every recommendation suggested pirating books or downloading free shit.
Where do you think Amazon makes more money? Selling e-readers at a loss or selling ebooks?

Buy a Kobo then. Nobody gives a fuck what brand of e-reader you use.

exactly, they want people to buy their Amazon Kindle tm and buy their millions of ebooks that are only accessible by Amazon Kindle tm

>buy their millions of ebooks that are only accessible by Amazon Kindle tm
Don't talk about shit you dont know about.

Ok Mr. Bezos

Taking into consideration this example of abysmal reading comprehension, I'd recommend you don't waste your money on e-readers or physical books of any kind.

I'd recommend that you make your Kindle shilling attempts less blatant

How to get into bibliotik?

Yes it's worth it.
Very comfy.

I can only focus on reading if it's on my kindle. so yea definitely worth it, if you are a brainlet like me

Getting an ereader increased my intake of books by at least 300%. I don't have a great attention span for reading, but when you're literally carrying a library around with you, there's always something that appeals.

Get the Kobo Aura One H2O. You can do pic related with it. Plus I can upload any PDF I want onto it which means I have 100s of books in it for freeeeee

I agree senpai desu I always buy Kobo™

What's better an e reader or a tablet?

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I take it with me everywhere. Best money I ever spent. The only problem I've ever had with it is sometimes the progress bar for how much time left until the end of a chapter just doesn't work.

Never happened to me, restart it maybe?
Why would you ever do that?
If you read a lot of PDFs just get a tablet, otherwise Paperwhite

I'm pretty sure it's because the progress tracker uses the ToC and bases how long it takes you to read a single page to make a guess and some of the ebook copies i downloaded just don't have properly linked ToC.

To see if it works as they say it should
It does btw

The progress bars don't always work because the people that make the ebooks don't format them correctly.

When reading on a kindle I found it to be tedious when saving a word for later and it also bothered me not knowing how many pages I have left on the bottom corner.

Plus flipping through pages and stuff can get annoying If I'm trying to read a massive fiction book and need to go back to certain page

Yeah, i like reading a physical copy if the book is longer than 300 pages. I don't get how the location numbering works either

Half kilo is heavy tho

I purchased a kindle paperwhite a couple weeks ago when it was on sale and I do not regret it at all. One of the better things I have spent my money on. And the page bookmarking, highlighting of text, and note taking are fantastic features that I was not quite sure of in regards to how they would translate from the abstract to actual intuitive use, especially since I read a lot of non-fiction. I find that the way they are incorporated actually disrupts me far less than taking hand written notes. The biggest trade off with these features is that you do not retain the information quite as well as if you had written them yourself, but you gain a more enjoyable reading experience and can reread/write them out later if need be.

I take it everywhere with me as well, the lack of functionality, being less like a tablet, is also a boon as there are less things to distract me within my immediate vicinity from actually reading so I have ultimately been reading more.

Aren't there ads on it? I had the original Kindle and it had ads.

Are Kobos good, I was thinking about buying because they’re cheaper.