When do you stop being a "young" author?

When do you stop being a "young" author?

I just read a review of Houellebecq's poetry which says:

>"1991 was a landmark year for the young poet: he published his first volume of poems, La Poursuite du Bonheur (Éditions de la Différence); Rester Vivant, an inspirational “méthode” or survival guide for aspiring poets; an edited volume of the poems of Remy de Gourmont; and an essay exploring the work of H. P. Lovecraft, where he highlighted the “poésie” within the fantasy writer’s style."

In 1991 he would have been about 35. Is this really young?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Living-amongst-Dead-J-Morgan/dp/1539611167
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Such a baby face

If you read anything written by an under 30 youre dumb. Rimbaud literally sucked his way to fame

>tfw you will never get sucked by Rimbaud for networking purposes
wrong generation

The vast majority of writers only begin their career properly after the age of thirty so yeah thats babby age for a poet

In my experience most exceptions to this rule are forced memes pushed by publishing kikes who appear and disappear in short order.

Umm sweetie that isn't true at all.

Tell me your 5 favorite writers and I guarantee more than 2 of them will have published by the age of 27 at least.

Juvenalia doesnt count

There's a difference between getting published and producing something of worth

Sweetie, most major writers published their first well-received book by the age of 30 at the latest. Dickens published about 10 books by that age.

But getting published is a first step to establishing yourself in the literary world, sweetie.

>baby face with that hairline

JUST

You better be a fucking girl because no man should be saying "sweetie."

In fact, please stop saying it; you sound like a 17-year-old girl on Twitter.

>inb4 says sweetie

I'm 27 and self-published 11 books, mostly fiction but with a couple non-fiction including a sort of... essay?... on the concept of arming teachers in American schools. I am definitely still a young author, in part because I've only been writing books for a year and a half. Also, yeah, 27 is still bloody young. I basically still have a quarter of my 20s left to enjoy, and I realize in the 30s my body will still be in good shape since I'll look forward to it so I'll have all the knowledge I have now, plus more, but still be quite physically capable meaning I'll be overall a better person. I'm quite excited for my 30s.

Ummm, you wish loser.

>on the concept of arming teachers in American schools

>getting triggered by a low tier meme

Link me your best work?

Lermontov died at 26

I'm not American.

That's a pretty broad request. My best fiction? My best non-fiction? Well I have written in different genres of fiction and my two non-fiction are quite different. I didn't put that 'arming teachers' one on KDP Select however so I can freely copy/paste it into comments here. It's not really all that long, about 13 pages worth in 5x8" paperback format, which this is the first book not available in paperback format simply because of how short it is. If you'd like to have a look at what I've got so far, go ahead. There's a 'look inside' feature for each and every one of those 11, to my knowledge, so you can see a bit of the beginning for each book.

www.amazon.com/author/jnmorgan

>ctrl+f
>Lautréamont
>0 results

You absolute pieces of shit.

JE TE SALUE, VIEIL OCÉAN !

>I'm not American.
You're american in spirit.

the way he holds his cigarette is so infuriating. was he trying to make it a personal 'thing'. it looks stupid.

>not knowing why men do this

Virgin detected. I specifically request that my bf smoke his fags like this. Guess why hehe :)

It was a little overrated desu.

>Russians
Ever.

This is true, however I'm fairly unbiased in what I had written about arming teachers, in fact I had come up with a definite negative aspect that pretty much cannot be argued against. Arming teachers increases the possibility of negligent or accidental discharge, and that's quite simply a fact. There's no getting around it, but there ARE ways of diminishing that possibility. For instance, carry in 'condition 3' meaning a loaded mag but with no round chambered, and I'd also make a case for carrying firearms with manual safeties so that there's a way to not only render the trigger useless but also lock the slide from being able to move. Unholster the firearm, disengage the manual safety, rack the slide, and THEN you're ready to fire. That's a lot of very intentional steps to take before you're even capable of discharging a round. Also, no handling of the firearm on school premises unless a shooting occurs, this will likewise almost render that increased potential of an accidental discharge to the realm of impossibility, which is ideal.

So I think I did well in considering both sides of the argument, and yeah, I hope to move to America someday to partake that experiment in individual liberty. I'd also note that I'd very much prefer it if the teachers that taught my future kids were trained to handle a firearm and had them on them at all times. We already expect teachers to keep our children safe in our absence, and we've already witnessed how teachers will DIE trying to protect the students they teach... it only seems logical to give them the means to not just DIE trying to protect them but to FIGHT to protect them if necessary. Also, only the teachers who WANT to carry and will put in the effort to be trained and to maintain their training. They will, in essence, be the well-regulated Militia of the school. There's other aspects that I go into detail about in the book to make it safer for everyone including the teachers and to further discourage potential school shooters from attempted shootings. In the end though, it's quite clear that mass-shooters much prefer to target 'gun-free zones', so statistically speaking incorporating trained and armed teachers will more than likely result in school shootings dropping exponentially as it becomes more and more advertised that there's one or more armed teachers on school premises. If that brave football coach in Florida had been trained to handle a side-arm and had one holstered, instead of dying helplessly while protecting the kids he may very well have been able to take out the shooter, thereby likely saving himself and many others in the process.

I do possess the American spirit, and greatly respect the Founding Father's vision for the nation they had created.

Good thing i will home school; you russian bots are trying to turn the USA into a warzone.

wew lad there's was no need of such a long response, it was just bants.

I plan to home-school my kids as well, though if they were to go to a public or private school, I'd prefer it if the teachers were trained and armed. Also, I'm not Russian. That'd be pretty cool though; I have an admiration for Russian firearms.

I tend to write a lot. In part because of my fast typing speed and also because I'm pretty good at articulating myself clearly.

>you russian bots are trying to turn the USA into a warzone.

You say that like its a bad thing

I think one's a young author up until the age of 50 these days with the strong promise of its being up to 60 or so in a few years. With a little luck [we] can all be 'young authors' up until the day etc.

How Houellebecqian

Damn. Never read him. Perhaps now I will. Thanks for the jump, user.

*kisses your neck*

That's okay, honey.

>Also, I'm not Russian. That'd be pretty cool though; I have an admiration for Russian firearms.
You mean "German firearms that were labelled Russian"

This place is SO much better than it was last week!

Oh-ho-ho-ho, I assume you're referring to the whole Kalashnikov/Schmeisser thing? Oh please, DO go there, I would have quite a lot of fun with that, and to start with I'd like to point out the transition from G41 to G43 and the role that captured SVT-40s had in that transition. As for the SMG realm, I don't have much of an opinion for the PPD-40, but I think that in their own ways the PPSh-41 and PPS-43 show up the MP-40 on a variety of ways.

after 21 you are not young, after 25 you’re a full fledged adult who will receive no sympathy whatsoever

Wait, Houllebecq looked like THAT?

Keats

He must have gotten a hair transplant, he has a better hairline right now.

Idk, I think it's about the same

His cigarette smoke looks like stink lines

Real men smoke cigs between their thumb and forefinger

And with their left hands.

amazon.com/Living-amongst-Dead-J-Morgan/dp/1539611167
>the reviews
by the gods, there's a psychopath on the loose

>he died so young *sob* he was only at the young age of 45

Yeah 35 isn't exactly 'young' for an author but it isn't old either.

People don't understand that those who make it big early in anything that is a 'raw' art form die out extremely fast and got lucky, or had been training since they were ~8. By raw art form I mean something that has no technological crutch involved and takes a tremendous amount of human skill. For example, being a ballet dancer or Shakespearean actor or opera singer or painter or pianist or violinist is a 'raw' Skill. It's very very difficult and is 100% human dependent. Technology cannot help you. And you must study under a master and have strict discipline if you hope to achiever career in those fields.

Being an author is also a raw skill. You can't hide your deficiencies behind a computer, film camera, editing room, soundboard, or photoshop. That's generally why raw art forms are so exciting and interesting where as the 'modern' art forms are all boring, the same, and uninspired.

So most ballet dancers train by the time they can walk. So about 5 y/o. If they're lucky they'll have a career by 25. Most Opera singers actually start pretty late. But those who do start when they're ~16 debut or have a career when they're maybe 25 for a more lyric voice and around 28 for a more dramatic voice. But most opera students I know get into it in their early-mid twenties. IF they get the right guidance (that's a BIG if) they'll start their career in their early 30's.

Our world today is all about instant gratification. I think this is why we've seen a rapid decline in most raw, classical art forms. People just don't want to study and really perfect their craft, and it takes time. Know great artist be he an author, painter, singer or actor did not sacrifice for his craft in some way and work hard at it. There really aren't exceptions. Technology has simply made us lazy.

writing isn't physical you dumbfuck

So to end this long winded discourse, my advice to any raw artist (I guess you could say classical artist) starting late is to take your time and study. Don't rush yourself, but work hard. Find ANY literature professor from the 1960's and reach out to them. Become a protegè. If you want it bad enough they'll see this. Yes most great authors are dead. Many are dicks and drunks. But since many of us started late, don't be concerned with how much time it takes or how old you are. Age is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you never quit and always keep on trying again and again. It sounds cliche but no author got where they are by quitting (obviously)

I know. But it is still an art form and thus takes a tremendous amount of time to develop because you cannot hide behind the viel of technology

>some kind of classic trained retard butt blasted about electronic music

writing isn't a performance, you seem stupid

>you seem stupid
he doesn't seem stupid at all, you on the other hand might as well be retarded

>if you don't train your muscle memory to be a human midi sequencer from birth you'll never be a great writer

hurr

If you could read you would see that he didn't say that, he just said it takes an enormous amount of effort and time and there's no way around that.

woah u mean being a great writer is hard? mind fucking blown bro i never thought of that

>writing isn't a performance
It definitely is

>Find ANY literature professor from the 1960's and reach out to them.

Fuck, this sounds like interesting advice. How do you do it? Other than troll the "Faculty" page of the Yale website, I mean.

yeah my favorite middlebrow liberal authors books are always "virtuoso performances" and "tours deforce" or at least that's what it says on the cover, amirite

They'll probably be retired by now. But any authors you read and admire who might be alive, find any and every possible way to reach out to them, ask for advice, send them your work, etc. you might think they get tons of people wanting to meet them but it doesn't happen as often as you think

Keats died at 25 and Shelley died at 29 and you're a fucking bozo who should consider doing the same

For a poet, it's old, for a writer it's very young.

You never heard the cliché "nobody writes before 40 anyway" ?

>ARE
>THEN
>DIE
>DIE
>FIGHT
>WANT
you're as retarded as a genuine american
congrats

sexy haircut

Some fucked-up shit happens in my books. I create a post-civilization apocalyptic scenario and I let it get as dark as it wants while also touching on some social aspects. Before Walking Dead implemented a Muslim character, I included two in the 4th book in the Living Amongst the Dead series. Now I don't watch Walking Dead anymore but I'm guessing she's painted in a HIGHLY positive light, essentially an embodiment of '#notallmuslims'. I don't know that for certain but that's my guess. As for how I tackle the issue I include elements such as the denial of education to women, the beating of wives, child brides, and also the huge amount of inbreeding that goes on in Pakistan. Whether that happens in the rest of the Islamic middle east, I don't know, but it's a problem there and it's shown up in Pakistani Brits and the children they have; the BBC has covered it. My favourite reviews are the ones of lefties/SJWs getting butthurt that the women I include in my writings aren't 'strong independent women who don't need no man'.

I don't know how to use italics on these posts and something tells me that even if I did I couldn't be arsed to implement them and so I stress words with alternate means, as seen above with 'HIGHLY'.

Keats and Shelley wrote nothing but effete garbage and you only like them because it is conventional to do so.

at 17, yes.

45 is very young in the context of death.

rimbaud turned out to be better than Verlaine so its oky

emily bronte wrote wuthering heights at 17-19 so nah how about suck mi dick battyboy

but Wuthering Heights isn't a good book