Has anybody every killed themselves over an idea?

Has anybody every killed themselves over an idea?

There has never been a philosophical idea so horrendous that it lead a person, whether they be a civilian or writer, to end their lives. Suicide is always a blood and flesh deal because ideas aren't what we're about. Nobody has REALLY logic'd themselves into suicide, even though there are thoroughly coherent arguments for death; everyone who took themselves out and endorsed suicide for philosophical reasons is given up by their biography.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_Mainländer
web.archive.org/web/20110721234123/http://www.suicidenote.info/ebook/suicide_note.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you mean that they couldn't handle the truth that they though they came to understand and killed themselves?

Exactly

Eh can't think of anybody that actually consciously committed suicide, but Nietzsche literally wrote himself into a mental breakdown over his concern for Nihilism.

Apparently Hegesias' book persuaded lots of people to kill themselves

This can be potentially worse than a flesh and blood deal though (e.g ). Not everyone subscribes to Camus' notion that suicide is the ultimate question, and these other folks would probably claim that going mad can be just as bad as dying. Intellectual endeavors in general are certainly known to drive people mad.

Unrelated, I suppose Ludwig Boltzmann kind of committed suicide over philosophical matters, since he was nearly 100 years too early for his physics to be acceptable to the world-views of his time.

Is the picture a reference to the Grand Inquisitor? That concept was particularly disturbing for a liberal-minded person like me

Me. I did.

/thread

Yukio Mishima

To kill yourself over abstract thought is the most 'human' thing one could possibly do. By human I mean as opposed to giving in to your animal instincts to preserve your life. You're quite literally defying your greatest animal urges, your deepest hardwiring from your reptilian brain, with your higher abilities for reasoning from your pre-frontal cortex.

The average person operates at too primal a level, on a day-to-day basis, to commit such an act. I think it truly requires great intellectual conviction to go against your programming in such a way for a mere idea.

Some roastie neechee scholar killed herself on I believe the hundredth anniversary of his death. I don't know if that counts

>tfw you think yourself to death

I am of the opinion that everyone who commits suicide is doing so over an idea. This kind of idea is surely something separate - namely plastic - from what you are referring to. Everyone who willingly sends themselves to their end does so to actualize some ideal, Wether is a prime example.

Since man has been able to cognize logical sequences of thought, he has been susceptible to thinking himself to death. Most of the people who conclude that suicide is logical died 1000's of years ago, and their genes died with them.

>tfw you think yourself to reincarnation

>Le hierarchy of desires
>Le some contents of the psyche are more animals than others
>Let average person
Did I wander into a pseud festival?

I mean Werther, jesus.

>Iz jus genetix bro
>Implying the realization couldn't have come further down in life after having children
>Phenotype is the same as genotype
>What are recessive genes
Never reproduce please.

>Never reproduce please.
you're assuming he hasn't already done so and the retardation didn't come further down in life after having children

You got me.

>who is seneca
>who is socrates

>Implying statistical averages and common characteristics don't exist

Is it cool with you, my pseud friendo, if I say, e.g., "the average person isn't a vegetarian"?

also. . .
>more animals than others
Do you mean "more animalistic", or "more characteristic of animals", or something like that?

Are some parts of the psyche not more animal than others? Do you disagree with me that killing oneself over an idea or thought is possibly the closest we can get to transcending our animal instincts? I'm 18 so I probably say some stupid shit but show me how I'm wrong rather than calling me pseud.

First thought was Socrates

Also pic related

>Are some parts of the psyche not more animal than others?
No. Stop sewering yourself from yourself.
>Do you disagree with me that killing oneself over an idea or thought is possibly the closest we can get to transcending our animal instincts?
Yes. Not that I believe in such a thing as an hierarchy of desires because that's a recursive and circular idea, but we could say for the sake of the argument that killing yourself is the expression of the desire for the happy somewhere else that expresses itself through the absolute denial of your reality. If we were to draw a morphology of human desires based on the actual nature of man (a political animal) then killing yourself is the highest form of animalistic expression (as in: more animalistic)
>Implying statistical averages and common characteristics don't exist
Who are you quoting?

map of human desires, not morphology.

in the bk smerdyakov hangs himself because of ivan's idea that everything is lawful

it was syphillis for the last fucking time

What is this thread detracting attention from?

>Veeky Forums has forgotten philipp mainlander
sad

he hanged himself by kicking a stack of his own books out from under his feet.

this is the premise to camus' myth of sisyphus, spends a while talking about it at the start

Came here to post this

sadly postwar japanese have lost all their pride. im chinese and i dont like japanese nationalism, but deep inside i have to admit mishima does have a point

Real talk:. I try to avoid Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums (especially at night) because I have exactly the kind of response you might be referring to. Philosophy scares the fuck out of me because it destroys me somehow. I went to a discussion about the existence of God and for nearly two years later I found myself repeating my position verbatim to the point where I would stop in my steps and mutter and gesture towards the ground. Two years...

I am a smart person, don't know how smart, but I think it's high enough for me to suffer. I'm slightly autistic. I have always wanted to be a physicist but I am taking a break (in junior year of undergrad) currently due to existential crisis.

If you knew me you would think I would post here regularly but from my experiences I practice many forms of escapism. I mainly post on /sp/ and I spend way nearly all my time on watching hockey and playing with hockey statistics.

Might not be relevant but I am also terrible at arguing, I make a complete ass and embarrass myself everytime because I get angry and start shouting and insulting.

This comment is meant to be empirical data. I don't believe in free will so I feel my experiences might have some form as a result of reality. Thanks for listening.

No it literally wasn't.

It was likely a manic-depressive illness with bouts of psychosis. Look it up

yes actually
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_Mainländer
Mainlander's "will to die" , the guy hung himself on a stack of copies of his freshly published book that was released a few days before.

beat me to it

>Has anybody every killed themselves over an idea?
Jesus, Mishima, the list goes on. Are you an actual retard OP?

But Mainlander, what precedes and outlasts being is not non-being, it is you.

thanks alan watts why don't you go fellate depak chopra for a while and fuck off

Hmm, interesting. Not the user you were replying to, but I just looked into this. I was not aware of this

Is this copypasta from a new modern translation of The Possessed or something? Always found Kirilov a bit hamfisted: spent the novel espousing cold logic only to have to enter an animalistic frenzy to carry out the suicide.

reincarnation is just a good philosophy to hold in so many ways. Never considered suicide after I consolidated my faith in it. It would just be pointless since you'd remain in the same wretched spiritual state in the next life. Better to fix things here and now than put them off for another life

how do reincarnationists explain population growth

995463 edgy 153462 me

Careful with those existential sabbaticals; I took a break after my second year of law school and, ten years later, still haven't returned.

Why would it require mathematical closure? For all we know souls can split/combine and go back and forward in time and/or enter into animals

Cato the Younger refused to live in a world controlled by Caesar and even implicitly grant Caesar the power to pardon him. He wanted to die fighting for the Republic.

I feel you, friend. I'd actually like to hear more about it.
Existential doubt, pessimism and impulsive behaviour have made me lose many semesters at uni, isolate myself from many friends and expect the worst out of most people or situations. It actually surprises me when something turns out well.

I like to say I do this because "I'm searching for the truth" or "improving myself", but deep down I don't even know if this is it. Sometimes I just feel like kicking it up and either hang or move to a desolate place and build a hut in the woods.

Is this the average /hoc/ poster?

They're poets.

i've only skimmed this, but it was written by a guy who offed himself after publishing it, i believe.

web.archive.org/web/20110721234123/http://www.suicidenote.info/ebook/suicide_note.pdf