Boy I just love retarded notes

Boy I just love retarded notes
>hmmm yeah let me just write down word for word what it says right next to the thing I'm quoting
Pure genius

Notes, highlights, page folding, or any other kind of book defacement is brainlet tier. Absolutely disgusting.

>keeping a book after reading it.
Once I'm done with it I burn the fucker. No time for notes.

that's nothin, someone wrote in my copy of mulligan stew in pen "he fucked her!" with an arrow to a paragraph.

Copying is a way of processing information to allow for synthesis and internalization, and this allows for quick reference also.

>not having a small notebook beside your book

I agree with you, but only because I'm good at remembering shit.
I understand why some people mask notes, but I don't need to.
Also, hurting books is bad.

My copy of the Big Sleep has one sentence summaries of what happened on each page. Whoever owned it at some point in time before me was a huge brainlet. And also a woman because they were disgusted by the flirtations instigated by Vivian Sternwood. In the margin they wrote "unrealistic!".

>check out book about Foucault (after shitposting about hin in a Veeky Forums thread without having read him)
>" ... dawning of an age ..."
>in pencil, someone wrote the word "beginning" over "dawning"

Damn i feel smug

>not just using a highlighter at that point

What about sticky notes?

That's the point of taking the note you concave headed mongrel. are ya gonna read every page again in case you want to find that passage? let's say you annotate several passages? it's useful for finding it faster instead of going through all the ones you marked. It's not an assessment, it's more like a reminder.

>A shs for pruple cy from tiresmsm about sons life spew.
>"Only if he power cure to how him self"

This. Use a notebook and don't ruin your books.

>let me defile a book because I'm a brainlet

>muh fetishization of the "book" object
good goy

>find old copy of The Myth of Sisyphus I bought when I was 16
>open it and flip through
>note in the margin of the 2nd page
>"learn to enjoy life. smart!"
>not a single note in the rest of the book after that except for a page where I filled in all the letters with closed circles

I agree, not because it's defacement, but because if you feel like you need to make notes it's because you're retarded.

t. fucking brainlets who read for enjoyment and have never studied anything

what do you think happens to all of your books when you die alone

>he doesn't read critically

we truly are wiser in our youth

ohohoho

The mark of the fairer sex no doubt

I'm always afraid that I'll write an annotation that my future self won't agree with.

what's wrong with that?
just write a response you autist

Early on in Ben Jonson's "Epicoene" one character calls another a "Wind-Fucker".
In the version i got from the library one person's comment on this phrase was something like "oh my!". Some other guy who had the book before me was so pissed at this, relatively mild, response to an admittedly unusual that he wrote "Its just a fucking word...typical sheltered private school education".

honestly those two notes made me laugh more than any of the actual jokes in the play

admittedly unusual phrase is what i meant

>Western God is Hades-Pluto

this was written on the last page of a book I bought on northeastern native american spirituality.
I still don't know what it means but I like to think it has some type of mystical importance.

whenever i saw dumb notes in a college book I put arrows next to them with comments on their comments in my writing. Mostly "wow what a fucking idiot" and "hey next guy who reads this, if you think this after reading this passage it's time to drop out of school you 90iq retard"

I never write comments in a virgin book.

>check into a hotel
>graffiti all throughout the gideon bible

writing summaries in the margins helps you remember and find key points of the text easily

if youre studying it for a course (and probably reading it at an accelerated rate because of that) i think it's perfectly reasonable and effective

Thanks for the post, user. Since I'm antinatalist, I think it's about time I stop buying books, especially rares and hardbacks and start using the library and read the ones I already have.

>book filled to bursting with retarded notes
>feminine handwriting
every time

>he doesn't read with a pen in hand
not gonna make it

>throwing things away instead of hoarding them
Once I complete a book I stick it on a shelf somewhere and never touch it again.

>Buy a used book with real detailed and insightful notes in the margins
>suddenly feel really inadequate for never making notes in my books

>find used copy of Ezra Pound's poetry
>clearly feminine notes throughout, one of the few books with notes that went past the 40th page
>she actually translated all of the greek, latin, and Italian bits
>comments were sparse and always insightful stuff like 'trochaic & iambic alternations for this stanza'
thanks whoever you were

Nigga what. I make notes all the time because you can't comprehend every philosophical text ever on the first pass.

I do. I also read with a notebook on hand, too, because I'm not a brainlet.

maybe the stupidest comment in this thread, and that's a notable achievement

>he reads with a pen in hand
pseudlet

real shit inc
NEVER date a lit bitch who "annotates" books or uses highlighters

>he doesn't use page markers and a separate notebook

The previous person to read the book I'm currently reading simply drew a line next to paragraphs or lines they felt were most impressive or interesting. They don't do it a lot, maybe a few lines every couple of pages. It makes the reading experience quite nice as I know which parts to give a little more thought to.

why deface the book like that with unintelligible handwriting? jfc

>what does polydactyly symbolize?
JFC

>JFC

Is this what happens when you are autistic

What about embossing?

>60 NuIRseRy LooK Po2ie5
have to admit it made me think

yes, a divine shopping list

Yes

for a second i thought it said "good morning kike roasties"

>tfw used to follow a cute girl around town, not STALKING because I always stopped within a mile of her bedroom
>sometimes she dropped books at a charity shop
>used to follow her in, buy the books and read the notes she left on the pages
>tfw wrote my own autobiography, which was only about 50 pages long
>ripped the notes from her book and glued them into my autobiography to pretend she had read it and made notes
>notes didn't make sense as they were often explaining stories from other books but didn't care
>tfw carried that book with me everywhere I went for 6 years
>left it on a fucking train
>tfw someone probably found my cumstained autobiography covered in notes glued on like some serial killer shit

Based

> >

>I always stopped within a mile of her bedroom
but you knew where her bedroom was

Kek

Thanks user, an afternoon in this shithole doesn't seem wasted anymore after such a post

Good God

>open book
>happy 16th birthday!! user it's so cool we all found you as a friend

Just put small stickies on the top of pages with lines you find extra+ worthy or rereading.
Before that I always reread whatever gives me, dat feel, and then sticky it if that wasn't enough.

i love you user

kek

The only acceptable notes are counterpoints, and in paperbacks.

>buy used copy of Finnegans Wake for $1
>notes all over each page
>until like the fourth page
>you can literally pinpoint the exact spot on the page where the previous owner thought "fuck this shit", because he just circled a phrase and wrote dozens question marks all over the page, pressing the pen harder on each question mark
>the last question mark sliced part of the page and ran off the top of the page violently
>i can picture the previous reader throwing his pen and the book

kek

>reads with pen
ANNOTATE WITH A PENCIL DAMNIT WHY IS EVERYONE SO FUCKING BARBARIC

>not STALKING because I always stopped within a mile of her bedroom
uhhhhh

my girlfriend gave me her copy of The Story of Psychology and her godawful Humanities handwriting is all over it. Some of her notes are just lists of words she found interesting and quotes/references she obviously heard in a lecture that she wanted to google later. a few of the pages have literally 2/3rds of the page underlined. i unironically like her a little less now. thankfully, it turned out to be a shit-tier book so I'll never have to look at it again.

Amen-o

>pound pastrami, can kraut, six bagels–bring home for Emma.

>she doesn't know words like "indolent" and "pervasive"
I could understand something like "sybaritic" or "cupidity" but jesus christ user, dump that baggage

>I could understand something like "sybaritic" or "cupidity"
Found the pleb

Now I suppose it's time to bust out the internet thesaurus to whiteknight your girlfriend. Don't bother; I simply meant that words like "cupidity" aren't used with anywhere near the frequency of something like "incredulous." If you want to spend your free time with a brainlet, go ahead.

eh, this looks like one of those high school classes where the teachers force you to annotate for a grade and check your book quickly by flipping through. I've written way dumber shit than that

that's some roastie handwriting if I ever did see it

Imagine being this autistic.
It was just bantz, I'm a different user.

if she doesn't know what those words mean already why is she in the humanities?

>not STALKING because I always stopped within a mile of her bedroom

>arbitrary
>innocuous
>pervasive
>increduluous
>tentatively
>amalgamated
>ostensibly
>arbitrary
>derisively
eesh

>If you want to spend your free time with a brainlet, go ahead.
I suppose this is a warning for anyone who wishes to engage with you?

absolute mad cunt

she didn’t do SAT vocab in 10th-11th grade very sad

>"doing" SAT vocab
Why is this a thing that people study for
I did 0 studying and got 800 in the SAT reading test just from reading shitloads of fantasy novels
I never so much as touched a piece of "literature" in my life.

who studied for sat vocab? I haven't really even read a book since middle school and I know all of them

why do Ameridumbs have vocabulary tests again?

I'm not gonna lie: I do this sometimes in my textbooks. Writing helps with memorization and it helps also with my tendency to go blank when staring at the irritating blocks of print. I can just scan the margins and get what I need quickly when reviewing.

>qt writes me a joke poem
>treasure it for years and years after she has forgotten who i am

literally everyone who agreed with you is a brainless thats never actually studied literature

post-it notes are better than any of those methods and don't fuck the book though

You know what? I believe this.