Shelf thread

Shelf thread.

What's the purple book? I can't read vodka runes.

Quite the variation there

Narnia

Is everybody on this board a child that just lives with their parents? When you're an adult with a serious job and have to move around a lot you learn just how retarded having all this junk is. Use ebooks

OP here, I'm an undergrad student, I live in my own apartment and I have a cozy part time job as a software developer. Gas yourself.

>>have to move around
>implying living in a city next to your place of work is affordable
I woudln't mind communing 4 hours a day if the place where I live is relatively cheap and not ugly. Don't be a rootless cretin.

E-book shilling getting more and more elaborate. I hope you don't do this for free.

I tend to move apartments every couple of years, at the moment my collection consists of ~200 books and I add a few every month. Moving the books isn't that hard, you pack them into boxes and put them on the back of a van. It's annoying but I'd be far less happy if I wasn't physically surrounded by my books in my home.

>Anno domini 2018
>Paying rent
>Working 9-5
>Selling your soul to Mr Shekelstein

Have fun today at work, wagie!

what is the purpose of these threads

You post your bookshelves and read praise/criticism pertaining to their content, the books organisation on the shelves, the translation/binding/whatever, and how this reflects on your worth as a human being. Alternatively, you look at the bookshelves of other anons and you judge them, either silently or by posting your opinions.

It's pretty much /soc/, applied to literature, distilled into one thread.

can you read fraktur with ease?

Sadly not. Decreases my reading speed by about 70%. Nothing makes me angrier than the fact that the nazis killed it. It made the German language unique. Oddly enough, this doesn't apply to my giant copy of Faust, which probably has to do with the fact that the font is massive. Either that or I just know the damn thing by heart.

Here's my shelf.

Are you a person on this picture?

Manchild tier.

what's the big book with buckles in the image on the top right? Harry Potter's monster book of monsters?

Thoughts on the Bane trilogy?

some good history reads, but what's with all the soyboy literature

тaкce

Did you inherit the bottom shelf ?
Those are some top notch german works of literature while the top seams like something a teenager would own.

I'm 23. Bought all that stuff from ebay. Started with simply wanting a fancy version of Faust and somehow spiraled out of control from there. The Goethe and Schiller collections were cheap as fuck, like 20€ for two books. The stuff on the bottom right I got for free.

Btw I don't really care what you fags do with your money but are there any solid arguments to explain why are paying that much money on something that takes so much space when you could just go digital and save lots of money and room.

Please keep in mind that all your "end of civilization" hypoteses don't count and are just delusional ramblings.

Its nice to have things. Its inconvenient to not have something ready when half-remembering it.

Reading Faust on a website is just not the same as reading it within a massive tacky early 20th century book. I also like how older books smell like vanilla. You are everything wrong with modernity. This utter rejection of beauty.

There's a huge difference between have your books around you, being able to physically get one, flick through it, show a passage to a friend, lend the book, etc... and having a digital collection the full contents of which you'll only remember if you get your e-reader out and swipe through.

Also, physical objects like books can function as vehicles of sentimentality and and remind one of memories, upon sight, touch or smell.

E-book shills should be permab&.

Mostly this, though I will also sometimes get/give recommendations to anons who post on these threads, so at least these threads aren't a total waste.

Americans are a disease.

I pay around a dollar per book and I have this delusion that raising my kids around lots of books and reading to them will turn them into readers. I dream of the day my kid picka up one of my favorites and we can discuss it together. These are just my hardcovers, i dont feel like posting the other shelves now.

Nice Silmarillion.
I like that edition.
It is the one we had in my high-school library.

I don't like e books

Hows brave new world op? Did you like it?

terrible shelf

why is this not being called the bait it is???

What happened to Veeky Forums???

I have another giant stack that fills up the wall over my fireplace mantle.

Your organization by publisher is a bit bonkers, I think, but other than that these are on the whole decent books. Good job user.

I just organize by size pretty much. Makes it easier to stack and the publishers books are always the same size. Thats my reason lol.

lol I remember seeing this (it's from the VICE interview with the Iceage guy)
what is it with every "artsy" photograph being taken with blinding whites and saturated colors?

Whats the issue?

It's not a delusion, or at least that's what my parents did and I'm a reader.

>top notch
>german

My aunt gave an awful lot of encyclopedias on natural sciences.
My grandma used to buy children's picture books and comics which I devoured.
My mom read to me when I was a kid. She got me a lot of children and YA literature. She gifted me LOTR (she asked the shop assistant what a 13yo would like to read). She used to buy books when I went on 3 month vacations so I had shit to read. Then, between ages 15 to 20, I stopped reading (vidya and anime got all my attention). During those years, my mom called me an ignorant because I was interested in all things Japan and I didn't fit her old fashioned concept of culture (like knowing all the rivers of Europe by name). One night, 10 years ago, I was meeting some friends but I would have to wait for 2 hs, so I checked our vast home library and picked Anna Karenina on a whim. I started reading again afterwards.

Even though I don't get along with my parents and I rarely speak to my mom, my dad one day confided she was secretly proud of me because my main hobby was reading (but she would never say this openly to me).

We've read the same books. But her personality is very shitty and her character is foul.
Doesn't matter what you do with your kids, literature wise. Just be sure not to be too much of a dickhead when they're going through the angstier portions of adolescence.

It gets progressively worse as you go down.

I bet you can't tell anything out of those volumes other than Faust, you fucking donut.

I disagree

The Jack Vance on the bottom left has more literary merit than the sum total of the remaining bottom shelf and entire middle shelf.

My first thought was "This shelf looks like it needs a copy of One Hundred Years of Solitude". I wasn't disappointed. Good reads.