Starting with the Greeks, what's the progression?

Starting with the Greeks, what's the progression?

Plato > Aristotle > ?

Other urls found in this thread:

ucpress.edu/series.php?ser=aph
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Socratic_philosophy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Presocratic and Sophist fragments > Plato > Aristotle > Stoics, Epicureans, Cynics > Plotinus

Guide to Plato.
After Aristotle move on to the Stoa and the Romans.

Hellenistic philosophy is often studied after the philosophers of the Classical period.

>Cynicism
>Stoicism
>Skepticism
>Epicureanism

You might then move on to Late Antique Platonism.
You probably shouldn't ignore the Pre-Socratics, Peripatetics, or Pythagoreans though. These might be fitted in here or there.

Other gaps might be filled too.

Don’t read Aristotle. Don’t.

As an aside, I don't think the yellow book covers Cynicism. You might want to look at the Ancient Philosophies series. They have very good intros for all the major philosophical schools. Sadly, the prices have increased a lot in recent years. In Canada, these use to go for 25$ in 2015. They now cost over 40$!

ucpress.edu/series.php?ser=aph

I can't speak to the book about Confucianism, but all the other are very good with one exception. 'The Ancient Commentators on Plato and Aristotle' is bad and ought to be avoided.

Bold claim. Care to back it up?

A fine start, but you mustn't neglect Homer (who should be read prior to anything else), the playwrights (at a minimum also read Aeschylus, Sophocles, Aristophanes, and Euripides), and the histories (certainly Herodotus and Thucydides, probably also Xenophon).

Some Aristotle should be read.
Reading the whole in a row is usually a recipe of disaster.

>and the histories (certainly Herodotus and Thucydides, probably also Xenophon).

Let's not forget that Xenophon was a decent philosopher in his own right.

>The Horse the Wheel and Language
>The Lost World Of Old Europe: The Danube Valley, 5000 3500 Bc
>The Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean
>The Aegean Bronze Age
>World of Odysseus
>Greek Colonization, Volume 1: An Account of Greek Colonies and Other Settlements Overseas
>The Classical World: An Epic History from Homer to Hadrian
>The Outbreak of the Peloponnesian War/The Archidamian War/The Peace of Nicias & the Sicilian Expedition/The Fall of the Athenian Empire (Donald Kagan)
>The ancient Historians and Playwrights.

Now you can "start with the Greeks", that is:
>W.K.C. Guthrie's A History of Greek Philosophy series.

Does anyone ever genuinely read lists like this?

is there a guide for Aristotle?

Why not?

A good guide is hard to come by, but you can tailor your approach without too much trouble based on your interests.

Read Christopher Shields' overview of Aristotle and proceed from there

Just started reading ethics. Give me 5 hours and will report back

Aristotle > Euripedes > weird library book about Greek culture and history > Socrates > a book about the Greek language

I don't care about going in an "efficient" order, I just read whatever I feel like.

>what's the progression?

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Socratic_philosophy

see

sad this is one of the only threads about literature on this board atm