How can anyone defend this? nothing happens :the novel americans ruined everything edition

how can anyone defend this? nothing happens :the novel americans ruined everything edition

Nothing happens in life that is why you spend hours looking at words on paper.

>a Jew is a successful boxer

You have to admire how ballsy Hhemminnggwwayy's sense of humor was.

>Reading for the plot

>he still thinks of books and considers time taken to complete
literally git gud

ummm I'm pretty sure most of hemingways other books have some form of plot. this shit is more meandering gilded age nonsense than Fitzgerald

> he thinks it's about the story

Wait a couple years then read it again

My favourite book

>nothing happens
not an argument

>muh americans
graduate high school and read it again

You know that there are big Jews, right?

That's kinda why I liked it. Nothing tediously didactic about it. Just a dude seeing some shit with occasional glimpses into his actual insights and feelings on the whole situation. Also it was pretty funny.

It’s young people behaving badly the novel.

I liked the way that one character liked the way the fish looked in his bag with spruce branches around it or whatever. Hemingway seemed like a good hobbyist.

This so much

Same, it struck so ridiculous close at home while reading it since I found myself in a similar experience overall at the time. Probably still am.

What was the point of this book?
Why was Barnes such a literal cuck? That situation with the Bullfighter and Brett was probably one of the most pure, distilled cuck-moments in all of fiction.
They were supposed to be lost and disillusioned because of the war, but how does that relate to being the doormat of some 30+ year old drunk slut even though you're physically incapable of ever fucking her. How exactly does the bullfighting metaphor fit into everything. There's obviously something there with the dicklessness and the steers and the bulls.

not everything is a metaphor, m8

For you.

>Barnes was made impotent by the war

Boy lost his dick yo

>hemingwaycucks in this thread really think the adventures of cuckold tim and his merry band of terrible human beings qualifies as the basis for high quality literature

Hopefully one day you'll too read multiple books and understand that pappy h isn't always the flawless master you believe him to be. The point may be that the book is a meandering mess, but it doesn't chance the fact it is still a meandering mess.

>qualifies as the basis for high quality literature

Or you could just enjoy the book, that's all. I thought A Farewell to Arms was pretty terrible so would not say that I hold any preferential affiection to Hemingway

I guess I'm just a little let down that's all. TSARs reputation proceeded it and tbqh I don't believe it lives up to the hype at all. What did you particularly enjoy about the novel?

>TSARs reputation proceeded it and tbqh I don't believe it lives up to the hype at all.
This. I kind of want to like it because of the masterful narrative technique, but overall it seems overhyped. There isn't much in it that justifies it being ranked as GOAT tier, even 20th century GOAT I'd say.

I see, glad I didn't get subjected to the hype but could've been the case with regards to A Farewell to Arms (or it's just awfull, still an enjoyable, engaging read though).
After that I had almost zero expectations when I started with The Sun Also Rises (though there was some redemption with The Old Man and the Sea inbetween).

Anyway back to the main point, I think it was the actual aimlessness itself that resonated very well with me, with Barnes & Bretts relationship for example going nowhere and the inability for both to move on.
Maybe it was because of a perfect timing while reading it and my own personal experience, going through an affair/intimate relationship with someone already in an existing relationship. The book speaks very well about all these things and all that could have been between the two. But in the end, being incompatible and truly not good for each other.

>We could have had such a damned good time together.
>Yes, isn't it pretty to think so?

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls
2. Farewell to Arms
3. Old Man and the Sea
4. Green Hills
5. The Sun Also Rises

is that how many grams of cocaine you need to consume to get through each

If you want some short Hemmmingway, read The Old Man and the Sea.
For actual plot (as in 'I'm too dumb and need conventional plotting and likable characters'), probably read For Whom the Bell Tolls.

1. The Sun Also Rises
2. A Moveable Feast
3. The Old Man and the Sea
4. For Whom the Bell Tolls
5. A Farewell to Arms
6. The Torrents of Spring
7. To Have and Not Have

His short stories are his best, though.

How can one (1) OP be so goodreads in one (1) post?