Authors similar to Borges?

Silvina Ocampo
Gene Wolfe
Adolfo Bioy Casares
Kafka (well... sort of but not really)

Pierre Menard

Franz Kafka (obviously)
César Aira (start with Ghosts or The Conversations)
Laszlo Krasznahorkai: The World Goes on

You won’t find anything really really closely resembling Borges – they are all similar in some unique way, but different in other aspects.

>(obviously)

in what way are they similar?

Kafka: Most notably allegorical texts like "A Message from the Emperor" that are more circling around a single idea than having a notable plot. Also, Borges translated and wrote about Kafka.

Aira: His works are also concerned with questions of "meaning" / semantics of fiction(s) itself. But he is a lot more playful / less serious than Borges. Anyhow he is called by some "the true heir to Borges". (A label which has probably been applied to dozens of South American authors, admittedly.)

Krasznahorkai: In the book I mentioned specifically, there are some short texts that are about nothing but a single philosophical idea. In general, Krasznahorkai is a very good author, but not much like Borges. In "Seiobo There Below" every text is a kind of reflection on a specific work of art or type of artwork and its history and most importantly its … very deep effect.

Italo Calvino

Augusto Pinochet

Borges

You did it worse

Roberto Bolaño.

Sebald

My diary desu.

Silvina and Bioy were close to him they're not similar.

Items similar to the Holy Grail?

Macedonio Fernández

Please dont.

Check out The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

underrated post

Read The Corpse Exhibition and Maupassant in general

What would you recommend by him?

Nazi lit in the Americas esp

Museo de la Novela de la Eterna is his "main" book, not sure about the translations, though.

Is there any overlap between Borges and Lovecraft?

Both are known for their dark philosophical short stories.

Interesting that you point that out. I wrote an article 2 years ago about it. Too bad it's in Spanish.

Early Cortázar short stories maybe. Bestiario comes to mind, though it's obvious Cortázar was big on coming off less 'cold' or whatever.

And I'm being 100% unironical here. Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun. The way he weaves metaphysical concepts into the setting all reminded me of Georgie, esp. the way time and memory play a role in society, Severian being so respectful of traditions and learned men, the vocabulary and narrative framed by a "translation", including a 40 page short story in the middle of the text, the homages with the blind Librarian and all those mirror devices.

Fuck Aira for being a Lamborghini fanboy.

This. At least The Rings of Saturn.

I could not recommend Aira's Ghosts enough. I don't think I had much a hold on what post-modern literature could look like until I read it.

Serious question, not trying to be an ass, but do you think you've gotten all you can out of Borges? I feel like he is the most re-readable author. I've just started reading his complete works from the beginning again and it feels incredibly fresh.

Orhan Pamuk really reminds me of him.

Also, like others have mentioned, Aira, Calvino, Sebald and Bolaño are all his heirs in some ways.