What does Veeky Forums think of Carlos Castaneda?

What does Veeky Forums think of Carlos Castaneda?

Not a helluva whole lot.

very good writer, probably a fraud for the anthropological parts, and apparently no proof that Dom Juan ever existed.

So he may fall in the category of occultists falsely claiming to have access to ancient tradition, and I don't like these guys.

I got that exact book for 50 cents at a garage sale recently, am I supposed to read Don Juan and the other books that he wrote before it to understand the context and setting and Carlos’s development? Halp pls Veeky Forums

source for pic

She is magnificent

No idea, saved it from this board about a week ago cause I felt the same way

I was enamored by Castenada, back in my mis-spent youth. After rereading the thing, I realized it was mostly gibberish (enjoyable, all the same). For something more meaningful, try investigating the Toltec belief system that Don Juan was based in. Pic related.

that's actually a good self-help book, i should reread it, it's pretty short

It's probably from some dumb D&G perfume commercial. They love doing these spots where they romanticize southern Italy for some reason.

idk probably because it's an italian brand maybe idk

Yeah but they have this very weird borderline fetish obsession with the south and Sicily in particular. Probably some weird form of Stockholm syndrome from knowing that 99% of Sicilians would gladly kill them since they're gay.

The Chicano autists love this shit along with , but I wouldn't expect much of it, it sounds very /x/-esque due to the fact that many Mexicans are into /x/ shit.
No h8 on /x/, it is just that I don't think that it will have some deep meaning on it.

the four agreements doesn't have any queer european occult trash in it, some of it nietzscheish, basically his argument is something like you agree to the values you live your life by whether you realize it or not, so you have to examine what you believe and decide "do i really agree to this? is this in my best interest? is this what i want"? something like that, one of the main things was like for betas, like where did u get this idea you are a beta? is it really in your best interest to believe this? he doesn't use the term beta or whatever, but it's basically like why do you agree to believe the things about yourself that other people have set up for you? don't agree to it, idk, just read it's like 120 pages and you'll feel good after

mmmm alright, might read it since my cousins are really into this book as well.
Chicanos are still annoying though.

The first book is so awsome.
As fiction is 10/10. MAybe you wont believe anything but it makes you think about reality.

it's not really that chicano'd up, or if was i totally forgot that part and just remembered the main point which was that the society/people/family around you propose ideas about how you should feel about yourself, and you have to agree to these beliefs, so don't agree to shit that's not in your interest, or something like that

I love him, but I also think he's a fraudulent cult leader who's just in it for milf pussy

That book made so much sense to me back when I was smoking a lot of weed, I actually thought I was enlightened. Looking back, nothing changed but its still a good read.

it's maybe stirnerish like look at your life and think about what's a spook and if that spook is hurting you or helping you

I just remember him talking about life being a dream and everyone has their own mini dream at the same time. I did like the chapter that talked about how words are basically magic and how they can help/harm people, that you should never gossip etc

i gossip so horribly about people irl, i better reread it

the blind lizard part is really good.

I think Moebius was inspired by him.

does it matter which one I read first?

I dont think it matters after the first one. "the teachings of don Juan". It is the most interesting IMO and the only one that talks about peyote and other plants.

OP here, thanks for opinions guiz

bought the book and wondering if it was a good idea. ima read it now