What effect can a novelist have on a culture in which terrorism and 24-hour news channels seem to have hijacked the...

What effect can a novelist have on a culture in which terrorism and 24-hour news channels seem to have hijacked the world's narrative?

1. Get books
2. Go to school with stuff
3. Board up school
4. Stream 24/7-stream where you teach the kids that books are important
5. ???
6. Profit, I'll go to your funeral (maybe not)

>terrorism and 24-hour news channels
What is this, 2003? There's social media information throttling, AI-guided youtube and google search results, and no one even talks about the brainwashing that goes on through netflix and the platform's design around "binge-watching."

But to answer your question I have no idea.

what do you mean about the brainwashing through netflix?

Tripfag here, it's obvious isn't it?
1. Creating consumers and not creators
2. The subliminals, I mean that in an esoteric and a non-esoteric way.
3. The more hours you spend, the more inclined you become towards a specific value, and they're all chosen. It's production, after all.

At least it is geared around giving the individual a choice on what to consume... or is it the illusion of choice?

In my opinion, you either try to disrupt the internet or become of rank: nobility in that system. Which means, use all of the psychological tricks that others are using to get people to read your stuff, and that stuff should be both eye-opening and get people to follow you unconditionally. They easily stack together.

That depends on what you define as 'effect' and 'culture', I guess. It also presupposes that novelists have had significant effects before this era. I'm not trying to be tart here, but its worth thinking about that. If you are associating culture with society, then I wonder how much individual novelists can significantly affect societies, and whether they ever have done. Without a doubt, Joyce's Ulysses (for example) is a seminal piece of literature that had a huge impact on Modernist literature, but how much did it effect the everyday life of the man on the street? Was the average late-Victorian clerk or factory worker effected by George Eliot's Middlemarch? While of course there are always exceptions, I generally think that the impact of novelists on culture and society as a whole, if any, is only really felt later, once they have been deemed worthy of significant as they are disseminated through universities and other educational institutions. That's just my two cents on the matter, any way.

t. delillo

You should read Mao II by DeLillo. That novel is about precisely that dilemma.

Not everything on Netflix is bad, but how good is the neutral stuff?

Very little effect. If you want to have any sort of notable public attention, either become a celebrity, be on first-name basis with politicians on the national level, or shoot up a school so your massacre can be used as the vehicle for some party to profit.

What are you implying with t. delillo

None. The idea that any kind of art could do any particular good in the world died in the aftermath of WWII.

Everything of quality on netflix existed before or independently of the platform itself. It's a meme that it revolutionised popular entertainment, it just commodified it slightly better with a sharp social media team.

None. Literature is probably the most irrelevant form of art nowadays.

almost none, even Submission wasn't that important culturally despite its prescience

Saddam Hussein was a great novelist.

whats his best work

"Persians, Jews, and Fleas: Three Allah Should not Have Made"

proud of you son

what does he say about that?

A lot actually. Especially as the spectacle declines in power with the advance of technological verisimilitude. In oral cultures, storytellers speak to crowds as they would to the ruling classes, the rulers, and the gods; they tell versions of sacred narratives, but unbeknownst to most, the conglomeration of changes in the language and the narrative bring about changes in consciousness that other mediums cannot. The book will always be sacred and so always given special attention by those in power - which is why the end of writing for the masses is about to happen. Imagine a book the masses can clearly read that is directed towards those in power, a book that not only receives acclaim in order to force the elites to read it, but merits reading for them anyhow.

You think it can't be done, but it will be, a thousandfold over in a billion voices from a book no one can grasp entirely, no one can piece it together to make sense of it.

The most interesting part will be the silencing. I imagine a flood, a catalyst, or another moment when a thing speaks coherently from random information that you glance at, and the coherent nature of the narrative is a subvocalization that you believe to be just how you're making sense of the information, your voice connecting what is in front of you to a sense of derealisation, a breaking down of your subvocalization into that things voice.

It probably wont be that profitable, but a novelist can do some interesting things if they put their minds to it.

I liked your post but now I have to ask how much effect someone like Homer or Shakespeare has on the man in the street? Do people still read anymore?

not the same guy but i'd say both have entered the realm of 'common' knowledge

idk about homer because i never did but shakespeare is obviously taught in schools

your are deluded. as far as i know, the masses never read anything

harry potter